I pulled the trigger on this Gillette old type...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by prostx23, Nov 27, 2011.

1. prostx23

prostx23 Member

Hi,

I just bought this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Op...568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cafae0c0

Based on the description, it looks like it is from 1920. The crack looks like it shouldn't affect occasional use. I can't wait to get it.:) What I can't tell is weather it is silver or gold plated. My guess is silver, but in a few shots it looks like it coukld be a faded gold. If it is gold plated, would the baking soda, aluminum foil bath work like it does with the silver plated Gillettes?

Mike

Johnny, HoosierTrooper and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Sweet looking razor there, and what looks like a good price:), Hope it shaves well for you.

3. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I don't think you want to use the aluminum foil and such on the gold. I had a simular razor and the crack did not effect it. It was a great shaver! Enjoy the shave!

4. prostx23

prostx23 Member

Yeah, at that price I felt like I had to jump on it quick... I had to ask the missus for a spot on the $$ until my next payday. She would probably frown if she knew what I bought. That's her problem.:biggrin:

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No, the Aluminum Foil and Baking Soda bath is primarily for Silver and Silver plate. More than likely the gold looks light due to the lacquer that Gillette placed over the gold to protect it is gone.

Reference the following on how the Aluminum Foil and Baking Soda bath works.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-gillette-single-ring-cleaning-picture-heavy.25538/

6. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

My guess is that it is silver and not gold. You could always just send the seller a message and ask to get a definitive answer.

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I agree with James. It is silver and the gold showing through is actually brass. The silver has worn off due to use. I have an Old Type and it too suffers from similar "brassing". What the aesthetics are not so great you can bet your shaving arm that it will be a great shaver!

8. prostx23

prostx23 Member

Thanks for the info, If that is the case (brassing), are there any precautions to prevent any further deterioration, particularly of the brass (pitting etc)? I'm looking foward to my first shave with a genuine Gillette single ring.

9. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I just received a reply from the seller... It's "gold colored". I'll assume that means that it is gold plated. I should get it in a few days. i'll give a full report when it arrives.

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's a good looking single ring I have a gold one serial number M773604 and a silver one with serial number M541611, both from 1920. They are fabulous razors.

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I don't really think that these razors were designed to last as long as they have. The silver plating was very thin and will eventually rub off with polishing, especially with a metal polish. Just be careful and don't polish it too often or too vigorously. I would only do the polishing when the razor begins to tarnish a bit. But do light polishing to avoid further removal of the silver plating.

The key to keeping it in good shape is to rinse it after each shave and wipe it down too if you take out the blade. I happen to remove the blade and put it in another razor for my next shave so I have no problem just wiping it down after each use.

Nothing more you can do to a razor that old. It has lost some of its visual luster but has retained all of its shaving luster.

Hope you enjoy using it.

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Yes that's right.
    If you want your razor to shine for many years you can send it for re-plating
    They will make it Nickel,it is preferable to Chrome because the razor is very old.

13. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

That is one way to do it. But many guys like me are okay with some brassing because it adds character to the razor. But like so many things with this hobby YMMV.

14. simmonds

simmonds Member

The razor looks great as does the case. Nice find.

15. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

i thought the same razor gave a pretty nice shave. hope you have good luck with it

16. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I should be getting it tomorrow, and I'll use it tomorrow evening. I'll post a full report.

17. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I received the razor today. It is gold plated, only very slightly tarnished. The only real "issue" is a gap between the ring and the barrel of the razor. It looks as though during the manufacture of the razor the razor head may not have been pressed into the barrel all the way. It appears to look as though it's always been like that. it is not loose, and it seems it would have no affect on how it shaves. It only makes the razor slightly longer than it's supposed to be so it does not fit correctly in the box it comes in. I'd take a photo or 2 of this, but I do not have access to a digital camera. you can see this gap in the photos in the original ebay ad. The blades it came with are Gillette Blue Blades most likely from the 1930's based on what I was able to find on Mr. Razor's website.

I'm going to take this razor for a spin tonight and will report back on how this shaves. I'm really looking foward to this :biggrin:

Mike

18. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

That looks like the razor my Dad use to shave with. Like so many things in life, that is one item I wish I would have kept.

19. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I completed my first shave, and I'm very impressed. Up until now my only experience with OCs have been with the Merkurs. The first thing I noticed is that there is quite a bit more blade exposure with the Old Type. Due to that I was a bit tenative. I found that in most areas on my face the stubble was cleared quicker than with my Merkurs (FWIW I used the same blade in both, a Merkur blade) I generally do a 3 pass shave then 1 touch up pass on my chin and jaw line. I did the same this time, but I probably didn't need the 3rd pass. My jawline was still a bit rough, but I'm confident that as I get used to this razor and nail down my technique, my jawline will feel as "velvety smooth" as the rest of my face. A DFS for sure. :happy005:

I'm still curious about the gap I mentioned earlier. It does not affect the shave, but has anyone ever come across a Old Type that didn't have the head pressed all the way into the barrel?

Mike

20. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Old Style razors are one of my favorites. Enjoy!