Mismatched Parts?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jag, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Jag

Jag Member

I picked up an old Gillette safety razor recently, and the problem is that it doesn't hold the blade securely - it still wiggles because the head isn't closing tight. I've attached photos to show the parts of this one, as I have been unable to glean the year of manufacture or even what it's known as. It seemed like a neat thing to buy, a bit different from my Feather (and a lot heavier), and I didn't spend an awful lot on it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Additional details: Markings on the bottom plate are:
    M Reg US PAT OFF 3
    (Gillette logo - Arrow with Diamond) MARCAS REGS

Attached Files:

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's a Ball End Tech, made in Argentina in the third quarter of 1967 (M3). I'm not sure why it won't hold the blade securely unless the threads are too worn to allow it to be tightened.

3. Jag

Jag Member

The threads are in excellent condition, I can run it all the way to the plate without the comb part on it even. See the gaps here? I insert a razor, and it's floppy. It's a strange thing... but it seems like something isn't right with it, like either the comb plate or the top plate is the wrong one, because the bar under the top piece doesn't bit down in the recess of the comb plate. Am I making sense?

Attached Files:

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

You got me, I don't have a clue. Those are all Tech parts but they obviously aren't matching up right. Hopefully someone can help. Sorry.

5. Jag

Jag Member

I hope so too, I'd hate to see this fine little razor relegated to a shelf like a rifle never fired. Thanks much for the information you were able to provide -- at least now I know what it is, and knowledge has value.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Looks like the head and base plate are mismatched. If all you want is a tech, then you should be able to pick up a shave
    worthy one for cheap, or even free if you ask around.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I think you have a poorly pieced together frankenrazor. You can see the alignment bar on the cap that fits into the blade doesn't have the corresponding slots in the blade bed.

Sucks dude.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The cap is of an older Gillette era than the blade tray, if I'm not mistaken. If so, that's the problem, but it's an easy fix if you have a mind to fix it (by replacing the cap, I mean).

9. Jag

Jag Member

What a shame.. I'm curious if perhaps the blade tray can be machined -- and whether it would work effectively. I won't dwell on it too much, I got it along with a few other knick-knacks for $15 and it will look good on a shelf. What places are recommended for finding older razors which have been sanitized for use? Thank you all ofr your contributions, it is well appreciated.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, one place is looking on forums and seeing if members have razors for sale. Many times, they have been checked out and cleaned and usually go for a fair and reasonable price.

Here is a reference.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/forums/the-marketplace.47/

Be sure to read the rules of each section and begin to look and or ask for a particular razor to buy.

Hope this helps.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Regarding the machining of the blade base, you could try getting creative with a Dremel.

12. Jag

Jag Member

Fortunately, I have access to a milling machine, a lathe, and various other machine-shop tools, so I may be able to do that!

battle.munky likes this.
  13. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Definitely mismatched parts. Your problem is because the top and bottom pieces of your razor do not fit together properly. They are from different versions of the Tech. You will never get your razor to fasten tightly enough to keep the razor blade from being lose fitting and thus misaligned. The handle and top plate are from a pre-1962 or so Tech. The bottom plate is from a 1967 or so Tech. Look at these links to see the difference between the top and bottom plates for the two styles I mention above.

1966 Tech: http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1966 (L1) Tech Super Stainless.JPG

1961 Tech: http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1961 Tech Super Blue Blade beschriftet Logo.jpg

You need to find the proper top or bottom piece for you razor. Better still, just look around on the various shaving sites and even some antique stores and you will find a Tech that will provide the parts needed or just be used to replace the mismatched parts razor you now have.

14. Jag

Jag Member

Looks like it's a shelf ornament after all. Is the Tech a pretty easy razor to find? I'd just like to find a nice beginner's razor -- my Feather with the best Feather blades made is probably too much razor for me at present. Thanks, Possum, for the photos as well.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Jag, where you located? If I can just toss it in the U.S. Mail, I will send a replacement tech head out to you and then I will take that franken head off your hands.

swarden43 likes this.
  16. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Tech razors are very common and you should be able to get one easily for $10 - $20 here on the Shave Den by going to the Forum page, click on Marketplace, then click on Wanted or on eBay. They are plentiful and are about the best beginner DE razors in my opinion. Or you could ask on the Wanted forum if anyone has an extra blade plate to fit the razor you have.