Lathering problems with Tabac?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by vegasvics, Dec 1, 2011.

1. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Interesting observations from my shave today. Using an Omega Boar brush (#81052 to be exact), I spent a good 5 minutes building up a bowl o'lather from my TABAC soap. After a few face splashes and a hot towel, I slathered it on my face and proceeded to go for the first WTG pass. I could feel a lot of tugging and noticed my skin was very dry. I cleaned the bowl and brush and switched to Mama Bear's Lime Ice mid-shave. I re-lathered and finished the shave with good results.

Is there a secret to building a good lather with TABAC?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just need to find the right water/product ratio. That goes for any soap or cream. Sounds like you needed just a touch more water.
    What will work best for you? I have no idea.
    I don't know the exact size of your brush.
    I don't know how much water you start with or add as you go.
    I don't know how hard or soft your water is.

I used Tabac this morning,as a matter of fact. The lather from Tabac is different from a lather from a glycerin soap, I will admit to that. But you should still be able to get a lather that will provide good glide.

Sodapopjones and otherstar like this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Tabac is the only soap that I've struck out with so far. It just doesn't want to play nice for me.

4. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Have you ever try it with a softer brush for example a Best or Finest badger?
    Maybe the results are better.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

It shouldn't take but a minute to get 3 passes worth of lather out of Tabac, I agree with Steve in that you may need to use more water.

6. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

ok, great feedback -- many thanks. I'll try more water and a different brush. Somehow I concluded that stiffer brushes performed better with hard soaps. Learn something new here everyday.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never seen a brush advertised as a "cream" brush or a "soap" brush or a "face lathering" brush or a "bowl lathering" brush. Bottom line is to just learn how to use what you have. Try different stuff. You'll find what works for you and your style.

Dridecker likes this.
  8. Adama

Adama Member

I found that I need to use a lot of water with Tabac and my Omega 10065. I soak the brush while I shower. I then take the brush and run hot tap water on it. I do not shake the brush out. Then I spend a minute loading the brush. After I load the brush, I proceed face lathering. I definitely get enough quality lather for at least three passes.

5Savages likes this.
  9. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the difference in hardness of water, type of brush, don't know because I get great lather with Tabac every time... I think I've mainly used boar brushes with it, have worked great!

10. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Add any cream -- problem solved.

11. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I have hard water and love Tabac. I use an Omega boar brush as well. I find that if I don't shake the water from the brush after soaking I tend to get a great lather.

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Tabac is my least finicky soap, but then again, it is well past the half-way usage mark, at its prime IMHO. I have noticed that new hard pucks take some breaking in, some much more than others. Then they just get better and better with use. Just stick with it, and play with the water amount. You will be rewarded.

13. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I love Tabac. In fact it was my first soap purchase. I used to make the lather in a mug but found I got much better results by shaking the brush a couple times after soaking and then loading the brush and making lather on my face. Load the brush for about 30 sec or so. If you do need to add a bit of soap during your shave it is easy to just take a couple swipes at the soap, add a pinch of water and continue with the lathering and shave.