Pros and Cons: Soap vs Cream?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by coche1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

What are the pros and cons of soaps vs creams? It seems to me that creams are more popular than soaps- is there a general consensus on why this is the case? I know that the typical response is going to be that it is a matter of preference, but what reasons do people have for liking 1 over the other?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I think it does boil down to preference really. At home I prefer soaps as much as possible. For when I'm at work or on the road, field exercise or deployed overseas I go 100% cream - they used to be tubes but now they're slowly migrating to sticks). I'm looking forward to trying some MWF when I finally get home, but bowls of soap are not practical in the least where I am. I find creams lather easier, but soaps more fun to work with when I'm using a mug/bowl; I almost always face lather so that's become a novelty reason for me.

Paulie likes this.
  3. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

As Neolithium, has said " boils down to preference" Personally I use both soaps and creams, both have their own uniqueness to what they bring to the shave. Personally I find creams to be slicker, soaps to be denser. Experiment with both you will see which gives you a better shave.

Paulie likes this.
  4. coche1

Thanks. So far, I have found that I greatly prefer cream to soap, but that is largely because I haven't yet gotten a decent lather with a soap. I reviewed the comprehensive guide to lathering earlier and I think I have been trying to load my brush too wet with the soap...

5. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

As most have said, it depends on your preference. I like both soaps and creams (mainly of Italian origin), and rotate all of them through the course of the week. My suggestion for you would be to get a cheap soap (speaking of cost) like Williams and just experimenting with it in your bowl. until you get the right consistency. There are many great soaps to choose from, and why limit yourself to just creams (unless unable to like Neo when in the field)? Broaden your wet shave journey, because you may not know what your missing....oh I hear Cella calling...

6. coche1

I definitely haven't given up on soaps, but at this point I think I need to just slow things down and simplify them for myself... I am going to shave for a week with cream and then when I'm ready to switch blades try cycling through my blades until I find 'my' blade. Once I've settled on a blade, then I'll give soap another try...

7. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

I love soaps so much more than creams...I find soaps to be really fun to work with to mix and experiment....I also like to use creams though when messing around with different scents and stuff...like most say though it is all your preference when it comes to pros and cons

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nope. Read this.

9. Tomas Garcia

Tomas Garcia Member

all I have is soap right now... and I have been gradually getting better at the lather also. I don't have any experience with creams or sticks or what-not, but I figure I'll go through what I have right now

10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I prefer a good hard soap over a cream. It is MUCH easier to get a slick lather from a cream (IMO), but for me...and I think it is largely related to my tap water, the clean-up is a nightmare. There is a thick residue left over everything the cream touches. Whereas with soap it is much easier to clean up after; really that is my main deciding factor. That being said I have a few creams and love them, but I like the old-fashioned feel of whipping up a lather with soap.

11. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I've never used cream, just soap, and I have no complaints. I like Proraso as a personal preference for both my SR and DE.

12. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Soap? cream? ying? yang?

When at home I think it is largely personal preference - so just keep a variety of both handy. Alternatively if you can only have one why not use a soft Italian soap like Cella or P.160 which is so soft it is almost a cream!

Just as long as you use a quality product and not that canned goo you will be streets ahead with either!

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

The biggest advantage of soaps over creams IMHO. Soaps look good sitting out in an OS or Seaforthe mug on my counter. Creams would dry out.

14. CSG

CSG Member

I like both and have both from hard milled (MWF, PdP) to Italian soft soaps (Omega and Cella) to TOBS and T&F creams. I love Cella, T&F rose cream, TOBS Sandalwood cream but I also like the VdH glycerin soaps. I think the trick is to ultimately learn how they differ to lather and make some practice lathers with whatever brushes you have on hand. It always boils down to the right mix of water and product and you just won't know until you know.

Some people think that soaps give you a little more cush but I don't know if that's really true, at least for me. Bottom line though, if I had to choose one type over another it would either be the Italian soft soaps or English creams over hard milled soaps. Just more forgiving as far as I'm concerned.

15. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

No matter what I do soap always stings me a little. I like cream

16. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use both soaps and creams. Use them interchangeably in my soap/cream rotation. Bowl lather with creams and face lather with soaps. When I travel I usually take on of my soap sticks with me as they pack very well and I can take my smaller "soap" mug of just use a paper cup or glass at the hotel where I stay to get the brush soaked and kept warm during the shave.

But for every day use I think you need to try out both types. See what works best for you.

17. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I have both creams and soaps in the cabinet of my shave den. I've come to prefer creams. For me it's a tactile feel, I've come to prefer the way creams feel when applied to my face with a badger brush. As far as the quality of the shave, I usually can't tell difference.

In wet shaving, YMMV.

18. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Time to resurrect this thread ...

I have a preference for soaps. The general idea that soap has more cushion and cream is slicker seems to always have exceptions. However, I do find that the soaps I've used seem to have more "substance". Not sure what else to call it. The nice thing is that they're more than adequately slick for me. Some creams I've used are almost too slick. Now to the exceptions ... one of my triple milled soaps is every bit as light as any cream I've used. One of my creams (the only one I use) has the same balance as what I expect from soap. So... truly it does seem to come down to preference in the end. Must say that creams are convenient when travelling (sticks are a little harsh on my face).

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've gone back and forth between creams and soaps for years. Right now I have mostly creams with a few croaps (Italian soaps). The only true soaps I have at the moment are my shave sticks. I've found that most soaps dry my face out, whereas creams do not. I'll give MWF and the TSD lanolin soaps a try next year. I'm going on a reduction crusade in an attempt to save money. Right now I have enough cream to last me for the next three years.:(

Edit: Well that didn't last long. I've tried MWF and the TSD lanolin soaps, and right now I've been going to MWF about 60% of the time with the other 40% going to the creams. I just got the Lanolin TSD soap yesterday, and I really like them too, so we'll have to see how often they pop up in the rotation.:D

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, soaps and sticks rule. I face lather almost all the time.