More Questions... Sorry.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Ryan Reilly, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Ryan Reilly

Ryan Reilly Active Member

I make this short and to the point,

1. How do I properly use Proraso Syptic Gel on knicks and cuts.

2. By deduction I have found that using an alum block after a shave has been causing my aftershave irritation. I do like although how it tones my skin and find my skin has been a lot clearer since using it, but what are other options instead. I hear a lot of people using witch hazel for an aftershave astringent and toner, is this a more comfortable way to go,and if so are all witch hazels created equally, I've seen some at walgreens but wanted to check before.

Thanks.

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

1. Small dab on your nicks and/or weepers. Nothing to really worry about for doing it wrong in regards to Stypic gel.
    2. No idea, I haven't used witch hazel personally but from what I've read they do the same thing. Some people just don't have skin that likes Alum though. Someone should be along shortly about this though :)

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a video on the subject of the Styptic pencil.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The witch hazels are not all alike. Some contain a bit of alcohol, which can sting and dry the skin. You need to read ingrdient labels.

5. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

They do sting a bit sometimes, depending on the cut.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

And don't apologize for asking questions. That's what we are all here for. To share and shave. :eatdrink047:

awake2shave likes this.
  7. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

no need to be sorry...this forum is catered to helping out newbies :) ask away...its gives us something to reply to lol

burnout961 likes this.
  8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I am suspecting that my alum block is doing the same thing to me.

I have always used witch hazel and I really like it, but that wasn't always the case. The first stuff I bought was from CVS and it smelled medicinal and wasn't very pleasant. Once I couldn't stand it any longer I bought some Thayers unscented and that stuff has been great.

9. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use witch hazel after every shave. Have found Thayers Rose or Lavender (I have both) work well as an astringent for me. Some days I apply an aftershave balm and perhaps a nice EDT that I enjoy. I get absolutely not irritation from the Thayers.

10. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

Do you wash off the alum after a few minutes? I get irritation if I don't.

You might also want to try thayers witch hazel or lucky tiger tonic, both of which are very good.

11. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I think I get alum irritation too. I do have Thayer's WH (unscented and alcohol-free) that I use as a toner in my normal face cleaning routine, and I'll try to substitute the alum with it this week to see how different it feels. I think the rash it basically the alum telling me "hey dude you're trying too hard here" but I'd still like to move on with my day without the shameful rash and itchiness on my neck!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've never used the gel type styptic.

Alum an other astringents affect each person different. You'll need to try different ones to figure out what works for you. I like alum, but witch hazel is popular. Try a version with and a version without alcohol to see what works best for you.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might just want to take a look at this.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stopping-the-flow-of-red.27542/

14. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was a good read, except it's not quite what I was looking for. It talks about alum, styptic and WH to use on nicks and cuts, but I rarely do cut myself, maybe on the occasional pimple but that's it. What I am experiencing (most times I do a 3-pass shave) is a high burning sensation on the neck and a rash that stays all day. Initially all I thought was my technique is terrible and figured it was razor burns, but I did over shave some areas more than a few times and for a razor burn, the entire area was bright red.

Do you know of anyone who simply cannot use the alum? I use it as deodorant too and no rash there, so it might be that I am too rough on my neck!?! Cheers!

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Some people have sensitive areas around the neck.

How do you prepare for your shave? Take me through the steps in sequence leaving no step out.

16. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

After a shower with a mild facial cleanser, I let my brush sit in hot water for a few minutes while I splash my face with warm water, apply the Proraso pre-shave and then make my lather (Proraso cream, both sensitive skin). Then re-wet my face if it feels a little dry, work the lather in for 1-2 min, then start shaving. I do WTG, XTG then ATG with all these steps in between. Post shave changes a lot depending on what I'm trying to help the irritation, but usually includes alum, perhaps WH or a splash, then balm or moisturizer.

I usually find out that I'm gonna have irritation right when I use the alum, as the sting is overwhelming. (except when I just over shave the neck, then I know right when I shave it it's gonna be a rough day!) Like it said before, I'll try skipping the alum altogether this week and see the results.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now if you are not cutting yourself, I am wondering why use the Alum at all? Most people use alum even the blocks to counteract a small weeper(s) only and a pencil for nicks.
    Unless I have a little weeper or a nick I will not use Alum.

You might want to use some cold water (and I mean cold) as a rinse and see how that works versus the Alum. Some people leave their Witch Hazel in the refrigerator and take it out right before the shave routine to combine both cold and the astringent value of WH.

Good fortune.

J.S. Desmarais and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll try that!

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'll have to try that, sounds like fun. esp. since I don't care for menthol madness.

20. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I use the witchhazel on a daily basis, I haven't been able to find the "no Alcohol" version yet but the one I have does a great job of calming down any irritation, Also I have added menthol crystals to mine as I like the menthol madness every day, I can't comment on the styptic gel as I've never used it, but I do use an Alum block when I occasionally have a few weepers as GDCarrington said previously, I don't seem to have any problems with mine, but then everyones skin is different!!!!