which Vintage Gillette?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theblindog, Jan 30, 2012.

1. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to get me a vintage gillette razor, but I really know nothing about them.
    so, for now, I have a question...which vintage gillette you guys rate as the most aggressive?
    I mean the non-adjustable one.

thanks in advance.

2. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Red tip superspeed, NEW, and the old types are the ones I find most aggressive.

3. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Red Tip is excellent and any of the open combs can be nicely aggressive.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think my OLD Type is more aggressive than my Red Tip.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: The OLD Type gets my vote too.

6. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I'd agree that the Red Tip is a little but of a pussy cat really - not overly aggressive at all.

I think that the NEW range or the New Improved are a great, fairly aggressive vintage Gillette. The Old Type I found to be a little more problematic and more variable between razor (they were designed for a thicker blade that the modern blades which can be a factor). Some of my Old Types are an aggressive but manageable razor, others are just a pain.

Of course in the OC, nothing beats the British Aristocrat #15- aggressive or not this is the king of the OCs for me :signs021:

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I have limited experiance, but here's my 2 cents worth anyway....I don't believe these to be the most aggressive, but I personally think Gillette hit their peak, artistically and functionally, during the 1930's with their OC TTO's....the 1934 Aristocrat, 1937 Sheraton, and 1938 Senator....plus their British equivalents....the 1936, thru '39 Brit.Aristocrats, and Populars...

The 'New' type I believe is more agressive, but I stand behind the OC TTO's as my favs...

8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1. Great audible feedback from the razor.

9. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

thank you guys!

I do appreciate all the feedback, and for now, I've narrow it down to (in no particular order):
    1. Old Type
    2. New Type
    3. Aristocrat

man, those TTO are sure pretty :love029: (and pricey :( ) that's why I put the Aristocrat on the list.
    back to google for me now, to learn more about these razors.

Best regards

10. Akula

Akula New Member

Does a 1950 Gillette fall into the category of vintage? I'm going to shave with it tonight! It was part of my grandfather's stuff. I cleaned it up real nice, but it's the sentimental factor that has kept me from using it. Yet, after some reflection, I guess he would have wanted me to use it!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's a clear consensus on where "no longer made" turns into "vintage", but I think 62 years ought to do it. I don't think there are many people here who wouldn't be glad to shave with an heirloom razor. I know I would.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd call it vintage. I'd also call it really cool that you get to use your grandfather's razor.

wyatt46 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

"Horses for courses"... You're the only one that can say if a razors right or not. Razors that people here say are aggressive... May be for them... Razors that they say are handsome... May be for them.... Etc... Look at the basic style during a period of time that appeals to you.
    I initially picked my father's birth year. 1905. Luckily there are a lot out there from those years and I found myself really liking those razors . Try them; you may like them.

15. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I have a Red tip Rocket and A Gillette New open Comb and enjoy the aggressiveness of each.
    If you wish to regulate the blade gap (aggressiveness) go with a Gillette Fatboy or Slim adjustable
    Then you can regulate your shave
    I prefer the Gillette Slim myself
    YMMV with each razor

16. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

yes, the more I read and browse, the more variable I see. but, that what make this more fun for me :D . since I'm on a very limited budget, so I try to ask around much to get a basic idea on what others opinion on certain razor.
    I understand the YMMV factor, that what happened when I'm looking around opinions about my first razor (R41). very mixed review, but the basic idea is that it is a very aggressive razor, that what I'm looking for, now that I'm able to tame it, I get a really great close shave with it every time. :happy093:
    as for adjustable, Wyatt, I had my eye on the Slim too...maybe for my next adventure :lyrtuy5:.
    oh wait..is it a sign of RAD? :D, really, I don't want to buy every razor, you know...maybe just one more...:D

thank you all for your inputs

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

While you're at it, don't discount the Schick Injectors...They are great, the E type is probably the more aggressive of the line, although all Injectors can be aggressive by how you use it...;)

Hop over to the 'Injector and SE Party' thread ( http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/) ....You can check out alot of feedback and 'eye-candy'...
    Also, for some reason these razors are never really expensive...I don't know why...The injectors and SE razors are fabulous shavers !

wyatt46 likes this.
  18. newb

newb Resident Newb

The most aggressive Gillettes I've used are the double ring, sheraton, old style, the new, in that order. I also find that the 40's SS a beast, much more aggressive than a red tip. But if your currently using an R41, the closest razor in aggression would be a Barbasol IMHO.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  19. domminigan

domminigan New Member

Most aggressive for me are the Double Ring and Single Ring, followed closely by the 1934 Aristocrat.

20. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

u got tons of great advice here lol