My new R-41 Grande

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron Trosclair, Jan 4, 2012.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yea, I busted out laughing too, especially as he was starting his 3rd pass. He kept ignoring the rush of blood from his neck like it was no big deal til the end. What did he think would happen? Only Geo can shave like that and get away with it.:whacky011:

2. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

This guy is an absolute slob! he gets soap all over his shirt, water everywhere! doesn't even rinse the razor till he shaves one wholle side of his face....people...this is exactly what NOT to do when de shaving lol

3. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

I hadn't posted here in a while. I'm still loving my razor. I've shaved with it every time since the last post.

For the record, I've never cut myself with the R-41 or any other razor nearly as bad as the dude in the video. That's just crazy. That dude should use an electric razor for his own safety. I wonder how bad his post shave routine burned?

But I've used Feather, Derby, & Israeli Persona. All perform well, but the Feather are my favourite. IP would be next as far as a good shave and the least irritation.

I like the shaves so much, the Fat Boy will be lucky to get any time in. Maybe I'll just want to shake it up a little with the FB. Who knows.

The journey is half of the fun!

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Who is the guy in the video lol? That was pretty bad....

5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hi, an idea on 'slippery handles'. I have a few larger razors that cause a problem with this. I find that if I wet my shaving hand and rub it with my Alum Block it really helps with stopping the slipping. Might want to try it.

SharpSpine likes this.
  6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I just learned about this property of the alum block yesterday while watching a video. He would rub his fingers on it to give himself a better grip while stretching his skin. I tried it this morning and it worked very well. Using it to hold on to your razor should work the same; great idea!

8. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Why would you ever do that to yourself? It looked like he was applying too much pressure. I may nick myself on occasion but wow what a blood letting. Wonder if he was light headed after that?

9. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

hahahhaahaha

@10:20 in the video:
    "I can tell you've got to be very careful with it, very slow, no pressure at all, whatsoever"
    And while speaking these wise words he draws blood...

10. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

I heard of that, but never got around to it. Maybe next time I order something or see it in a local store. Any ideas of a store that carries them?

I think I've adjusted to it. I keep my shaving hand as dry as possible and free of soap. I guess I was pretty sloppy with the great grip on the Fat Boy!

11. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

Sooooo....

Since I got the R-41, I've rarely used anything else. I think I've used the Fat Boy maybe three or four times. The last time I used it, I finished the last pass with the R. During the first two passes with the FB, I just wasn't feeling it! So, I took out the R-41 and did the ATG on the last pass.

I guess I'm really comfortable, consistent, and comfortable with the beast. It's become my ol' friend.

This week, I think I'm going to force myself to go back to the FB all week to see how it shaves compared to my ol' friend.

Wish me luck.

12. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

Well. I couldn't do it. Went back yo the 41 after two passes.

Il try again soon.

battle.munky likes this.
  13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

When shaving his cheeks, this video guy has the blade angle at close to 90 degrees. That's crazy. Plus he surely didn't need more than one pass and his beard seemed might light for two days.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Wow. All I can really say about the video....

With the R-41, you have a really crazy angle. It is unlike any other DE I've used.It is almost perpendicular to the face. It is indeed crazy Lindy.

15. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

Yea. That's what I'm getting into now. I'm adjusting the angles and trying to figure out some what other folks are doing.

All shaves are great though. So, I'm seeing if maybe I can get by on less angle. When I reduce the angle, it does seem to be smoother, but it also provides less "feedback". I'm kind of used to the feedback now.

If anyone has something that's working for them, please share your technique or point me to the link!

I'm still having fun learning this new razor!

16. Ron Trosclair

Ron Trosclair Member

While I a currently still on my R41 kick, I must say that I'd never describe it as smooth, there are things that take quite a bit of the edge off and rounds out the spikes and skipping.

First is the angle. There's a pretty good video out there describing and showing a good angle for me. I'll search for it. And no, it's not the. One where that dude slices up his face.

The second little technique is to not crank down when you are screwing on the handle. Try for snug, but don't torque it down hard. For me, that's just snug enough so it doesn't back off. Too little torque and it will back off. Too much torque and it will bite.

While the angle seems obvious, it wasn't until I watched the video that made the angle for this razor click. I really got skipping with the incorrect angle for me. Once i got the angle correct, the razor didn't skip anymore The torque technique really is going to fine, tune I nailed the angle. If the razor is bouncing all over your face, you'll never get to the point where torque comes into play.

I know...that may be a little too much for some and YMMV, I think the extra effort and time spent taming this razor was worth it. I'm thinking folks that just look at DE as an alternate way to shave may not feel like spending this much trouble learning a razor, but for me, learning this razor, and others, is half of the fun in the hobby!

These few tweaks have worked for me. Let me know if anyone else noticed any other techniques that has worked for them!