First Vintage Razor - help! :)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by amadablam, Feb 12, 2012.

1. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Hi All

Currently I am looking to buy a razor as I have been shaving with my E&J DE89 since I started DE shaving and whilst I love it (it is such an easy carefree shave), I want to invest in a razor to accompany it.

I am leaning towards an adjustable razor and was going to buy a Merkur Futur or Progress but thought I might check out the vintage razor market place and see what is there.

Ideally, I would like to purchase something different in a shave to what I have, be it adjustable or non.

I have read a lot on here and have seen the Gillette range of vintage popping up here quite often but if there is anything I should be looking at in particular, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Any help or direction would be great as I am unsure of vintage razors in both value and also which ones are proving to be a better investment.

Seems Gillette is the easiest to find online second hand.

thank you for taking the time to read the post.

For anyone selling, I have a post in the 'Wanted' section. :)

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, I'm not hindered by any much knowledge :) , but there must be a lot of good vintage razors on the market. I bought a Gillette Old Style (from the nineteentwenties), which was quite battered from use, but I got really nice shaves out of it! Anyway, there are other members with a lot of knowledge around here, so I guess you can get some sound advice from them. Best of luck!

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If you're looking for an adjustable, I 'd recommend the Merkur over the Gillette for a first adj. I have the Futur , very happy with . For ease of blade chg , depending on your dexterity or lack of, then the Progress.

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I'm a Newbie and agree with getting an adjustable razor. I started with a Merkur 38C barberpole HD and cut my face to shreds. Once I bought a Gillette Superadjustable, I had less cuts, less problems. I've heard a lot about the Merkur adjustables, but haven't used them. I think Merkur makes razors that will last a few lifetimes.

5. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thank you macaronus, johnus and lindyhopper66.

The Merkur adjustables seem a popular new buy and I would lean towards the Futur as it looks like a quality build (I dont like the look of the plastic adjuster in the progress). I have never had a cut on the E&J and find it very mild and feel I would like to try something that gives me the opportunity to tune the shave a little more aggressively, when I have time :)

lindyhopper66, Thanks for the tip regarding the Gillette Super adjustable, they are now on my short list, going to see whats around online too.

The search and research continues! :D

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Rent Goldfinger....after seeing James Bond use a vintage Gillette Adjustable on Goldfinger's plane and afterward Pussy Galore rubs the barrel of her S&W45 revolver on Bond's chin and says,"You do like a close shave don't you?" you'll be looking for a Gillette...My vote always goes to the Gillette Adjustables....And believe me, those vintage Gillettes were built to last several lifetimes aswell...;) Doesn't matter which, they were all ultra hip...

And don't discount the Gillette Open-Combs....I got a beauty from Jody this passed Dec. and it's the best DE shaver I've ever used....

Slipperyjoe and GDCarrington like this.
  7. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thanks Bird Lives :) I have been looking at Gillette Adjustables and Fatboys on the usual auction sites.

I noticed that the prices vary widely and am guessing a lot has to do with condition but...........................................................all the date stamps and model codes seem to +/- to the value.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which model codes are most sought after or which to pay extra for?

sorry if that is a very open ended question.

Thanks!

8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have a few from different years . My choice would be the '65 or '66. The K or L. Nice solid razor. Good years in the '60's. Kind a the middle of the razors run.
    What ever year you pick I'd stay away from the black plastic ones.

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have both an Edwin Jagger DE89L and a Gillette "Slim" adjustable, and the two do shave differently. The DE89L has more weight toward the head than the Slim and also has a different head geometry. Often vintage razor pricing varies greatly for no particular reason, as there is both a vast supply of most vintage razors and a huge amount of speculation in the vintage razor marketplace. Sellers sometimes demand ridiculous prices for razors, but the large supply means bargains are still to be found. When it comes to vintage razors, impatience can cost dearly. Be patient and keep your eyes peeled, and a reasonably priced razor will eventually come your way. Since the date code will not affect how a razor shaves, IMHO it is more important to focus on the brand/model of razor ("Slim" adjustable, "Fatboy" adjustable, Gillette Super Speed, Gem, Wilkinson "Sticky", etc.).

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have a jagger 89l and own a 62 slim and 59 fat boy used to like the slim more untill I accidentally set the fat boy to 7 now I reach for the fat boy more than my slim, I does take a bit of getting used to as mentioned different weight distribution and head geometry and also what setting, I'm very happy with my fat boy and it's my favourite vintage razor that I've tried so far.

11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

You might try posting in the wanted forum. IMHO you'll get a better price/deal from someone here than on the open market.

12. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thank you blanka, alpla444, Shaver X and johnus,

I really appreciate the information and help!

Going to look at the Fatboy and Super adjustables for now and see what comes up. I totally appreciate the advice on having patience for the right razor, Shaver X. I am going to continue my search for a nice adjustable.

I just bought my first Vintage Razor (non adjustable) but was unsure of what model it is :) Its brand new and unused and a 1973 Code T2 and its now..........................mine :D

Does anyone know the model?
    razor731.jpg razor732.jpg

alpla444 likes this.
  13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Gillette tech, (I know that much, but im really not an expert) looks very nice:cool:

14. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thanks alpla444 :) I kinda impulse bought it and probably paid a little more than I should have but it popped my Vintage razor cherry and I can search for the immaculate, adjustable 'Gold Finger' Gillette as per Bird Lives post :D

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

" I suppossheyou expect me to talkeh Goldfingah? .. No Mr Bondeh.. I expect you to dihe".. A great film.. didn't realize there was a slim there.. hmmm need to have a closer look at that plane segment.. Ya Amadablam, it's a fine idea to try out one of the oldies. Got some myself.. good shavers. Think I'm gonna give one of the newer ones a go one of these days. Sometimes ya just gotta see for yourself.. happy shavin' ...

16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Similar, I believe to the British '67 Sportsman. Al. handle. Tech head.
    Believe similar models were made from '63? into the '70's.

amadablam and GDCarrington like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Yeah man, these are from that scene...he has a small homing device hidden in the handle and takes it out, activates it and hides it in the heel of his shoe...He then gets a great shave that Pussy Galore makes a crack about...Gillette couldn't have paid enough for such a great plug....
    plane_razor2[1].jpg plane_razor3[1].jpg
    As far as years on a Slim, I think condition is more important...really no differances as to which year....There are some differances on Fatboys....Jody could tell you....or Mr.Razor's page

18. Bird Lives

I agree...didn't you see the masterpieces in the 'Classifieds"?

amadablam likes this.
  19. amadablam

amadablam New Member

I hope something nice comes up soon :D I am being torn towards the dark side....................flea bay! :)

20. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

My vote is for a Slim Adjustable. Start at a low setting and work your way up until you find the sweet spot. 9 razors in 1. And there are a lot of them out there. Price more reasonable than a Fatboy, But they are awesome as well. Especially if you get it Rhodium plated! LOL. A Gillette New open comb is also a good choice and they aren't expensive.

amadablam likes this.