First Vintage Razor - help! :)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by amadablam, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Thanks to that movie I've been hunting for a '64 Slim Adjustable LOL.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Doesn't have to be a '64....any Slim will be identicle...but if you are a stickler for details, the British version was made in the U.S. but marketed in a case marked Gillette Adjustable Mark II....I guess the Mark I was probably the Fatboy?

Attached Files:

3. amadablam

amadablam New Member

Thanks Sunflake, appreciate the info and help.

I am on hunt for an adjustable :) also checking out open combs now ( I never thought about one until I posted this thread. more research :D )

4. amadablam

amadablam New Member

It arrived in the post today and it is new but..............................................................I will be staying shaving with the E&J for now as the Gillette feels too light in the hand for me.

Oh well, so much for an impulse buy :) Back to the search again :D

5. AwNix

AwNix Member

On eBay I press in: "vtg razor" and see what pops up that day. When you own one or two new/modern razors everything is new. So you buy a lot here and there and collect what you like and sell the junk. Then you look around more and more and it becomes harder to find a cool/new razor.

I suggest trying everything. There's no secret. Just go for a low price and be willing to "clean stuff up". The only razors that aren't worth buying are razors that are obsolete (take a proprietary blade) or ones you won't make your money back on, "unknown razors". Listings w/ "really nice photos"/too many photos or an accurate description in the title are just gonna drive the price up so look at a bunch of pictures/read a lot and try to get what other people don't see under the radar.

Most every gent was shaving back 50 years ago and millions and millions of razors were produced so don't pay too much. Spend a little more on a Fat Boy and a lot less on a Tech, etc. Some razors like a Toggle or Double Ring are always gonna be expensive and you just gotta accept that.

I own a lot of razors and don't have a favorite and sincerly doubt I ever will. Fancy, Cheap, Reliable are all topics unto themselves. You'll have to try things out and see what works for you. Even when you find a razor you like you're still gonna have off-days with it.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You would be surprised at how many people misspell Gillette. search: vintage gil* razor to catch everything. Then narrow it down if it all becomes overwhelming. ex.: gil* fatboy, gil* milord, gil* aristocrat, gil* rocket, gil* adjustable, etc. after a few weeks and a lot of research, you'll be bidding against me and Jody and some other fine people on the forum.;)

check out etsy as well, some bargains can be had and if you become serious about collecting, there are some beautiful razors out there.

7. Blobster

Blobster Member

I've got a Long Handled Super Adjustable (the Black Beauty). Although I bought it thinking that adjusting would be a handy thing to have I find (like most adjustable users from what I've read) that I only use it on one setting. I like it for the nifty engineering and it's a really impressive looking razor but as a shaving tool it might as well have been any TTO or three piece similary aggressive to the setting I use (No 6). I haven't got experience with other Gillette adjustables but the Tech you've got would be an adjustable on the lowest settings (1 or 2). I also find the head, which is hefty compared to three piece razors, to be a bit cumbersome and unwieldy. But that's just my feelings regarding these razors. There are legions of shavers that love adjustables.