The Haul: February 20th - February 26th, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Feb 19, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A new week, new gear!

[​IMG]
    Show us the goodies you get this week!

Not mine but in the spirit of Presidents Day being tomorrow here in the United States (And George Washington's Birthday), have a look at Lt. John F. Kennedy's - aka President John F. Kennedy - shaving kit during his time in World War II. You can read more about it here. Odd he was using this set in the 1940s when the set itself is from the 1920s. His father was John P. Kennedy so it couldn't have been his father's set. Interesting none the less...
    [​IMG]

2. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I inadvertantly completed my Tuckaway set this afternoon. Picked up what I thought was a cool-looking Gillette & blade box at an antique store. Got home to identify it and turned out to be a Tuckaway...I already have the case, so yay for me! Pics later.

3. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

And so it continues............

Lavanda Cologne
    Old Spice Musk AS
    Agua de Colonia Rosa

ajdhn likes this.
  4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Well, now there's a name I recognize. Good to "see" you here Brian!

madmedic likes this.
  5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Many thanks Blair........and likewise. It is always good to hear from some of the 'Old Guard|'

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

A friend gave me the old brush of her late father. It is a De Vergulde Hand boar brush.
    It holds loads of water and is really soft! It is a keeper!

Attached Files:

Asd, lradke, tuco99 and 3 others like this.
  7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I've been on a bit of a buying spree these last couple of weeks (don't tell my wife) and this is what came today.

test1.jpg

and......................
    IMAG0234.jpg

Decisions, decisions.................I guess I'll have to wait till next week to try them out; being as this is MWF week. Or not. ;)

Asd, lradke, tuco99 and 5 others like this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I narrow it down by scent when I have to make a decision.
    TSD soaps will smell a little different when lathered, though.

Asd likes this.
  9. tomnat

That's true. Well, regardless of whether I use them this week or not. Tonight I will know what they smell like lathered up. :D Oooooo, I can't wait.

SharpSpine likes this.
  10. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Have fun playing with all those soaps and lathers. The DVH 'extra fris' is a great grab, not to mention all those TSD soaps.

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011: Have fun!

12. tomnat

thanks. I am looking forward to trying out everything, especially the TSD scents that I got. Over the last year or so I think I have ordered all the scents that I felt I would like. Now I just have to figure out what I like and then my plan is to order "sets" of soap/cream, milk, and maybe a/s. I'm not sure exactly, but my first "phase" of figuring out which scents I like the best is almost finished.

macaronus likes this.
  13. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Some of my goodies

uploadfromtaptalk1329863002741.jpg

Conrad1959, Asd, lradke and 5 others like this.
  14. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Ha, my brother has one like that

macaronus likes this.
  15. blanka

Here's a pic of my now completed Tuckaway set! I did already have a blade box, so now I have a bonus one to use for actual travel. The new box (the one sitting out of the case) is full of unwrapped old Gillette Blue Blades, so I'll be pitching those. These are silver, are they not? I assume I need to use the borax/salt/aluminum foil method to clean it? What about the blade box? Perhaps just a simple green/peroxide soak?

2012-02-21 16.23.21.jpg

Conrad1959, Asd, lradke and 4 others like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If this is silver, then this the best way for old silver. Keep as much plating with it as possible.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-gillette-single-ring-cleaning-picture-heavy.25538/

If it is not silver, you will know quickly because it will remain oxidized. It would most likely be nickel plated in that case. If it is nickel then use some scrubbing bubbles and Flitz polish.

17. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Heavy haul
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Asd, macaronus, tomnat and 4 others like this.
  18. blanka

Ladies & Gents, please allow me to re-introduce my haul of the week:

You saw the before picture of my Tuckaway set. Here's one more shot of the outside of the case before I did anything.

2012-02-21 20.12.54.jpg

I gave all the razor components a bath in the solution that GDCarrington suggested. Then, they got a Scrubbing Bubbles treatment, followed by a 20-minute Barbacide dip. Then I went to work them with some MAAS. I also polished the blade case and the carrying case. All I can say is, "WOW!" The razor & blade case are now mirror shiny! The carrying case was nearly black before and it looks soooo much better now (it obviously saw a lot of use over the years as it has lots of scratches & dings). I'm so excited. Think I'll give the razor a spin tomorrow!

I had been so frustrated lately, because there's obviously another razor collector who hits the same spots I do. Yesterday, the antique lady said, "Yeah, some other fella was here just the other day asking if we had any vintage razors." Lucky for me, he didn't notice this tucked back in a remote display case. Anyway, without further ado:

2012-02-21 20.35.48.jpg

Turk, byrd, Conrad1959 and 6 others like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent clean up. You might want to protect this from oxidizing as much as you can. I use Hagerty Silversmiths' Polish which I get from the local Albertsons. This is more of a finishing and protecting polish than the heavy cleaning polish such as Flitz or MAAS.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFMQO/?tag=thshde-20

macaronus likes this.
  20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It appears that a package arrived today, but I was not able to take delivery of it. I received a notice from our postman, so I'll pick it up tomorrow.......Hmmmmm, I honestly wonder who sent it?