After shave confusion

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Phaedris, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Phaedris

Phaedris Member

I'm new to wet shaving and haven't used after shave in years. Now, I'm looking for an after shave with soothing, moisturizing effects and a nice scent. I'm not a big fan of the old fashion, alcohol based 'aqua velva' type scent. I tried some Jack Black aftershave gel I bought locally. I was just ok and somewhat soothing, but it made my skin feel wierd. Its hard to describe, but kind of leathery or waxy feeling. Any advice to an after shave newbie?

2. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Lucky Tiger is one that's great for moisturizing and soothing the skin.It has a citrus scent that unfortunately lasts only 5 minutes.Speick is another soothing splash that has a clean fresh scent,or you can try TSD aftershave selection.I haven't tried TSD yet but all the products come highly recommended.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I wasn't keen on the alcohol based ASs when I switched to TWS either. You should spend the $4 and grab a bottle of any kind that the scent agrees with your nose and give it a shot if you haven't used one in years. It is very agreeable now for some reason. This way of shaving and the old school ASs just seem to go with one another.

4. Phaedris

Phaedris Member

I did order some TSD milk, and look forward to trying those. I'm going to check some local stores today, and I'll give some ol'fashion, alcohol based 'burn' lotion a try. :scared001:

5. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Gillette makes an afterhsave gel that has a nice, masculine scent. It used to be part of my regular rotation. I don't know why I took it out (probably because I acquired tons of splashes).

Darn it, now I want some :p

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

When it comes to AS's your choices are as wide and varied as you make them. Unfortunately if you want to steer clear of alcohol based, old school splashes then a trip to the local drug store won't really help as that's mostly what they sell. Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Brut, sometimes English Leather and the like. One exception is whole foods markets sometimes carry Aubrey which has some nice scents albeit alcohol based. I really enjoy their North Woods. Other than those you're pretty much looking at online purchasing w/ the joys of shipping/handling costs.

Anyway I could go on and on and on with suggestions but you could try some Thayers or Humphries Witch Hazel. Also Provence Sante makes two non alcohol based splashes (Verlaine and Green Tea) that are nice--witch hazel based I think. As you know there are also numerous balms and milks that are less harsh than a splash. This should get you started. Enjoy.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I love my TSD AS. Go with an EO scent if you have sensitive skin.

Water, SDA40B, Propylene Glycol,
    Isopropyl alcohol, Witch Hazel, Glycerin,
    Aloe Vera, Allantoin, Potassium Sorbate

8. Frogger

Frogger New Member

I love Proraso aftershave. Light soapy scent, a little menthol kick, cheap and easy to find. They also make a milk for sensitive skin.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Believe what you're looking at is a three step process when it comes to shaving and skin care . You're looking at the soap or shaving cream that not only helps shave but also cleans the skin. Then a toner to condition. Then a moisturizer.
    I like to keep the products separate. Yes if you use the toner; alcohol based or other alone you'll get a tight feeling. That's why you then need a cream or balm.