Menthol Kick???

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ryan Reilly, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ryan Reilly

Ryan Reilly Active Member

So i have been reading up and after been using of Proraso Pre/Post Shave, I think I want to add a little more menthol kick to my routine, so the questions as always would be which one? From what Ive read the contendars most favored, at least from what Ive read are

M-Bomb
    Osage Rub

So which one guys, where do we stand? Please feel free to add any other brands or suggestions. I was just reading about how cold Osage can be, but the idea of being able to in a sense make your own with M-Bomb might be the ticket, and 444, well seems people use it so its gotta do something. Now I still plan on using my current aftershave, but like I said I just want to add some coldness in. I already regularly use the Praraso Pre/Post shave (white top) and while it does have some coldness to it it doesnt last long. Anyways Ill stop talking and let the masses converge. Thanks Guys.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Are you looking for an aftershave or an additive?

M-Bomb and 444 I consider additives. While Osage Rub is an aftershave.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

If you want the cold of Osage Rub with better scent and quality, I recommend TSD aftershave in either Iced Sub-Zero (ISZ) or Iced Peppermint. I don't have experience with the additives, so I'll let others chime in on them.

supe likes this.
  4. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

444 is great if the aftershave you're using for the day has no glycerin or has no menthol,or you just want to kick up the menthol a lil more.It's a balm that you mix in with your splash and is not really made to be used by itself.M-Bomb I haven't tried yet,but I've heard great things about TSD products and I'm planning on buying ISZ.As for The Rub it has quite a menthol kick,not the best scent but it fades quickly.

5. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I use 444 daily, applied directly to my face and head with just a little water.

Nice and cool! :smiley freezing:

6. Llyr

I didn't think to try 444 with water,altho I have mixed it with plain witch hazel.I tried Proraso PrePost cream as a aftershave and didn't like it ,I thought it was too waxy.I may have to re-think that and add water to the Proraso.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I agree, but mix it with your favorite AS or even water and it does great. Like 444, don't use too much and it goes on very easy.

8. senex

senex Member

Try Vitos ICE aftershave, Great stuff and colder than the Vitos Menthol AS.
    For cream the best I have used is the Italian Palmolive Menthol cream.
    Ice Gel is great as a balm as well and very chilling.

[​IMG]

9. Llyr

You know I didn't think to mix the Proraso with a AS either,LOL!!!! The water I thought of ,I use the Proraso as a Preshave on my wet face and head,I may try mixing it like I do with 444, with water.It may slick the Proraso up even more.Gotta have my menthol blast I dont care if it's 30 below or 100 :D.Two Products I use almost everyday,Proraso PrePost and 444.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

One of my favorites is to smear a little Proraso pre-post in the palm of my hand and pour Floid Blue on top of it. Rub my hands together real good to mix 'em up and go staright to the face. Ahhhh.:D

11. Llyr

Oh yeah,now we're talkin,Floid Blue and Floid Vigoroso are in my splash rotation,I love the 444 with these splashes Proraso splash too.I did mention I love menthol :D

CyanideMetal likes this.
  12. Java

Java Member

I had never tried a menthol A/S before, but this morning I tried some Alcolado Glacial that I recently got from TSD store. I'm here to tell you, I couldn't even feel my face for about 15 minutes. It was awesome. I'll be sure to have some on hand the first time a try an Open Comb razor, you know, just in case. Are the others we're talking about here that strong? Stronger?

13. Llyr

I think Osage Rub is stronger,I like the scent of alcolado Glacial a lil better tho.The Floids and Proraso have a nice soothing menthol but not like the blast you get from alcolado or The Rub.The Floids and Proraso are well worth getting.Another one to try is Myrsol Aqua De Limon.Nice menthol and the lemon scent fades after a few minutes,which is good if you plan on using a cologne.I just ordered a bottle of Alt- Innsbruck,it's a aftershave/cologne that I'm told has a nice menthol blast and a tobacco leaf scent that is long lasting.

Conrad1959 likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Get some TSD M Bomb and make it as strong as you want.

15. Ryan Reilly

Stupid Question Time, is menthol and eucalyptus the same thing, don't they both have a cooling effect???

16. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Did you apply the Proraso with wet hands and face? Works better this way just used it the other day wasn't waxy at all. A little dab on each cheek will do.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They both have similar effects, but they are not the same. They are extracted from different plants in the mint family.

18. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Actually Eucalyptus is not from the mint family at all. Eucalyptus is the tree in Australia that Koalas eat. Very different from Mint.

Menthol is usually extracted from Peppermint, but also from other mint varieties.

19. Llyr

Not the first time I tried it,but now I mix it with a splash a very small amount, even smaller than the amount of 444 I use.

20. Ryan Reilly

Does that affect the overall scent of the aftershave you add it to. Which I guess would be the same question, if I got some TSD Milk in say sandalwood and got them to add the menthol, would it change the scent.