My Derby Blade Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 82CJ350, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 82CJ350

82CJ350 New Member

Just used a Derby blade for the first time. My face is burning 10 minutes after the shave. Super close shave, first nick too.

I can't decide if I like it or not! Pro's- I think it is one the closest shaves so far.
    Con's- The burning, and while shaving it did not give as much "feedback", if that makes any sense.

Any Derby fan's out there?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Not me personally, however one of the guys in my Troop uses Derby exclusively for his face and when he shaves his head, and swears by them. Just more proof of YMMV in regards to blades :)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not here. I get the same burning so I don't use 'em.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Pain is weakness leaving your body. Didn't you feel stronger after the shave!

5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Truth... I use them in my regular rotation. They can be razor specific. They work well in my Merkur Futur and in my J and earlier Gillette '04's.
    Wouldn't give up on them. If you have an older razor or adjustable , try them.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Derbys were the first blade which worked for me.. and they still do. Lately I've been testing Sharks which I find similar.. smooth and maybe a tad sharper. I don't seem to get that burning thing from them that you've described 82CJ350.. only get a bit steamed afterwards when I find a sticky razor head..

7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I just finished testing Derbys in my 38M. My results pretty much mirror yours. I found that they tug quit a bit and leave me with a fair amount of razor burn, but other hand, I did get fantastic shaves with them. Fortunately there are blades that give me both, a smooth comfortable shave with excellent results. I'll save my remaining Derbys for testing in future razor acquisitions, but I won't be using them in my 38M again.

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I don't use them. I tried them but they tugged and pulled and left me feeling a bit "roughed up". I won't be revisiting them anytime soon as I have several other blades that work really well for me.

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I on the other hand like 'em! Have used them in my Gillette flare tip Rocket when I tried it for the first time. Great shaves - and indeed close as well!

I guess it is a typical YMMV thing. You might hang on to them and try them from time to time in other razors. Who knows... :)

10. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Derby's me no likey.

11. Java

Java Member

They are the current "best blade" in my '58 Super Speed. I get great shaves out of them. XTG, ATG, it doesn't seem to matter. People do seem to either love them or hate them.

12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I had the exact same experience with Derby extra... closet shave ever but that same burn. But I pif'd some to a fellow and he's hooked on them and reports getting the most comfortable shaves ever. YMMV for sure! Once I started doing my research on blade edges I realized that it makes sense that Derby's tend to be kinda polarizing. They are probably the mildest edged blade so it makes sense that some folks would find them amazing and other would really dislike. I would imagine anytime you are using a blade that represents either most mild or most aggressive, you will see more varying positions on those blades. I've haven't totally quit on Derby myself though, I plan to come back to them.

13. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

derby's are one blade that don't give me the closest shave but don't cause burn either. I've got a pack that I'll probably hang onto in case I run out of Astra blades and need something to fill in for a few days.

14. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

This thread inspired me to go back to my Derby Extra's this morning and give another go. I recently switched from an AS splash to a balm. I found that after I was finished shaving with the Derby, if I rinsed with cold water and then applied my AS Balm the burning sensation that I had experienced in the past with Derby did not linger, the balm seemed to take care of it. Just a thought.

15. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i use derbys everyday and quite happy with them. trying the voskhods now

16. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I tried one and it was just fine. But I have read mixed reviews from users over the last couple of years which suggests to me that they may vary in quality from blade to blade or perhaps from face to face. Another thing I have surmised is that a lot of members evaluate blades on how the first one they try does. If they don't like the first one, they may never try another again and when asked for an opinion they say they hate them. When I have bought razors over the past couple of years from members I've been pif'd several packs of Derbys, probably because they don't like them.

17. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I have over 600 derbys stocked. I find they work astounding in my red tip. The first shave is a little rough, but everyone after is smooth smooth smooth. To avoid the rough first shave, I may run the blade opposite to the edge against my bare arm to wear it a little bit and shave away. Great blade for little money.

18. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Have you tried corking them? Running them though an old wine cork has worked well for some members.

19. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I'm a hair young to be drinking and haven't a clue where to get a cork. Are corks ever sold alone or is there an alternative?

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Derby's have their own feel to them. When I started wet shaving, I favored Derby's over others from a small sample pack. When I used them non-stop for a year, I had their "feel" down pat and loved them. When I started trying other blades again and finding new favorites, I lost that unique "Derby feel" due to infrequent use and now dislike them. I know I am capable of liking them, if I use them frequently. This might be true for most blades.