Feather blades sharper than Israeli Persona blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Commander Shepard, Mar 1, 2012.

1. I absolutely love using feather blades with my E.J. Chatsworth. Someone had mentioned to me that these persona blades are sharper than feather blades. Any truth to this? Reason i ask is ive used bout 8 different blades with DE89 razor head 'from derby to 7 0clock' and the sharper the blade the better the shave it seems. In all aspects of shaving that is. There should be like a chart with info pertaining to blades. Sharpness, longevity , ect... Like in sports goals, assists, ect... no? lol any feedback would be greatly appreciated

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Blades are too subjective. What is one person's grail is another persons trash. You can look at reviews and take the average opinion but nothing is really cut and dry. It even complicates things when blades are sometimes made on more than one plant or vary from one batch to another, etc...

In regards to persona blades being sharper than feathers, I have never heard such a thing. I have heard of people comparing the surgical prep personna blades to the feathers, but the feathers are generally considered one of the sharpest blades.

In my experience, feathers are super sharp but are super dull by the end of the 1st shave. They have no longevity for me. The made in Israel personnas aren't anywhere near as sharp but last for several shaves.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, Personna's are like a butter-knife compared to Feather.........

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Cmdr. the only personna blades that I have read reviews on that compare to Feathers are the "Med Prep" medical prep blades used in hospitals. From the descrptions, they are equally as sharp as Feathers and some have gotten more shaves than with a Feather. They are on my wish list to get some.

5. Thank you for your feedback gentlemen , most appreciated

6. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I don't think they are sharper, but they are just a touch smoother and I find that I may get a shave or 2 more our of the Personna Reds.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Persona Reds, might not equal the sharpness of a Feather but the shave is slightly more comfortable.

8. Thankx guys, Im really looking for the more sharper blades as they seem 'on my face' to leave zero burn. Or maybe i just have a lighter hand for the feather as i truly respect the blade.

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

$wise the Reds are sharper.

10. haha im sure they are man. When looking at the prices of my old fusion blades the price of any de blades makes me smile

11. CSG

CSG Member

As I tend to dump blades after three shaves, it really doesn't matter but I've found Feathers the sharpest of the blades I've tried and they work great for me in an old Tech. But the American Personna Labs I also use are just as good a *shave* when all is said and done for half the price.