Is Tabac Soap all it’s cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by William, Sep 21, 2007.

1. William

William New Member

Is Tabac Soap all it’s cracked up to be? I have about 12 different soaps including Trumper’s, Penhaligon’s, Kent’s etc and I think out of all of them Tabac is the one that I like least. I have given it a good try and I simply can’t get on with it. To me it has an unnatural sent chemical overtones and I find it dries out quite quickly in the bowl and it leaves my skin feeling dry.

Am I alone in this or do you too have your doubts? If I am wrong what is it that people like about it?

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I used this soap today. Once you get past the scent, its a great soap. Slick and Creamy.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Yes, if you like the scent.

IF your a fan of old spice, you will love it.

It dosen't dry me out at all. Every skin and taste in soap is diffrent.

4. William

William New Member

Ah...Old Spice...This has a special place in my heart as it of course reminds me of my Dad. He used the stuff for years and I loved to smell it on him. I do have a bottle of Old Spice and sometimes I bring it out and give it a try. I don't mind it at all although it doesn't smell the same as it did on him?

The strange thing is my Dad came to stay with me the other day and I left the old spice out for him to use. He was having none of it and went straight for the St James? Seams you can educate the old nostrils after all?

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

William:

Dad must be an "Old" Old Spice lover ;)

:D
    The "new" Old smells different, the old timers tell me

6. William

William New Member

I hadn't heard that before but it would be of no surprise. The 'Old Boy' is into his 80's now and it would be most unusual if they hadn't changed the potion in some way in that length of time. Clearly and unfortunately it would seem not necessarily for the better!

7. jnich67

jnich67 Member

If I could only use one soap, it would proabably be Tabac (I also have a bunch - Trumper, Penhlgns, Floris, MWF, etc.). I love the scent and the lather. I'm also very fond of the a/s. :drool

Jordan

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It's good soap, but certainly not the end all be all.

Just depends what you like. I like it but I certainly wouldn't give up my Trumpers or DR Harris for it.

9. William

William New Member

Amen to that, certainly with the Trumper's, I would also add Penhaligon's to that list. I have yet to try the Dr Harris soap! I have used the cream which is very good indeed, Can you recommend a favorite scent?

10. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I'm really enjoying the DR Harris Lavender these days. It's giving me some the nicest lather I've even seen from a soap. Definately give that one a shot.

11. William

William New Member

Thanks very much I will.

Cheers

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

put it to you this way....I HATED IT...grew on me...its my travel soap when i leave now fo sho

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Mmmmmmmmm Tabac :drool:drool:drool :D

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

just used it this morning--loved every second of the shave. ;)

15. William

William New Member

I think it is quite interesting,that people either love Tobac or hate it! Each to their own of course. For me, there are so many soaps out there that I do like and have still to try, I think I would sooner use one of them and revisit the Tabac some other time.... maybe! By the way, as strange as it may be, I do quite like the After Shave? It's just the soap that doesn't rock my boat.

Cheers

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have the soap and cream. Above average performers and it's a love hate scent. I'm on the love side. Whomever doesn't want theirs, I'm taking donations for the Homeless Badger Foundation. :D

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I'm also a fan of this soap. Very good all around performer.

Raf

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I not only used the Tabac soap bowl this morning, I used the deo spray, aftershave and cologne. Might as well go Tabac from head to toe!

19. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

In short, yes! BTW, to my nose Tabac smells nothing like Old Spice. Much closer to a sort of English Leather on steroids. Sweeter and stronger than EL, but in a similar vein.

Regards, Todd

20. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

For me, it's a state of mind fragrance. I use the soap with the aftershave, the edt and the deo and, I can't explain it, but when I get a whiff of the scent hours after I have applied/layered it on, it rejuvenates me during the course of my day. Aromatherapy, if you will, but regardless I love the stuff. Besides the fragrance, the soap is an outstanding performer and ( as I have said before), I use it with Tabac s/c to make a super lather.