Gillette Tech Help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by verplankfan, Sep 21, 2007.

1. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

I am looking to add a tech to my collection and would like to know opinions on the pros and cons of the different models. I did searches here and on other wet shaving boards and there seems to be 2 factions of users, ball handle, and fat handle. I like heavier razors, which tech would provide the most heft?

I will try to buy from the the forums I don't like using ebay.

Bob

2. Will

Will Nevermind

A tech is very light. 3 peice, and a lamb of a shaver.

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Bob, welcome to The Shave Den!

The ball Tech is a pretty light razor. The handle is not spindly, but it isn't much to hold on to. The fatter handle one is more substantial, but still not super heavy, since the head is about the same.

4. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

Mottern thanks for your response, I know they are light razors I'm looking mild shaver. I have to shave every day and want to try using the tech when my face is a little tender from the previous days shave. I am just a bit confused on the difference between a ball handle and fat handle weight.

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Bob!
    There were many Tech models available. The ball handles range from the earlier heavier models to the later aluminum handle models of the 70's. I prefer something with some weight so I'll use a 30's fat handle or a heavier ball handle once in a while.
    They are mild shavers but do have varying blades exposures so they will shave differently. Try to avoid the aluminum models, just don't feel right.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The fat-handle and thin-handle techs, both of which I enjoy....are actually not that much different in weight. The fat handle is bigger, but its not solid metal so its still on the lighter side of the razor spectrum.

That said, I prefer shaving with the fat-handle techs, they are superb shavers. Feel great in the hand.

7. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

Thanks Blair the fat handle sounds like it would fit the bill.

By the way I don't know if you will want to respnd to anymore of my posts, I have a cousin who lives in Columbia SC and works for USC and has turned me into a subway Gamecocks fan::D:D:D.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Steve:

Whats the one you gifted me ??
    That dog gone thing is a great shaver.
    My new travel razor, thats fo sure :D

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

That would be a 1940's ball handle tech, just enough weight and a super shaver.

10. rick

1940's ?

Whats up with that ?
    My 2 favorite razors come from then.
    My fashion sense and musical tastes also seem to focus round that time.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......:cool:

11. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

Thanks guys looks like it's time to go shopping for a fat handle tech. After I get 25 posts posts I am going to try and pick up a Tech outright or try and trade my slim handle adjustable for one.

Bob

12. rick

Keep Talkin , Bob

25 posts aint that hard to get :D

13. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have both an Aluminium Tech from the 50s and a fat handled gold Tech from....I think ...the 30s. Much prefer the fat handled one. I just prefer heavier razors!

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Let's fire up The Shave Den time machine and head back! :D

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    We can't. :( Will broke it!

Oh, and welcome to The Shave Den, Bob!

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

If I was a Gamecock fan (God forbid), I'd keep it kinda quiet too.

Just kidding. It's all good (at least until November).

17. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

I was just fooling with ya, I went to Pitt and root for them(I know they've sucked of late) but since my cousin moved down to South Carolina I try and watch USC when they are on TV.

PS
    I loved watching the Florida State game When youu took it to them.

18. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Heh....I also went to Penn State-Mont Alto for two years, so I'm not really a PSU alum, but there are big time Penn State fans on here too. (Like Will "Doc" Mottern.)

Now if you're a Steelers fan, we can overlook some of that other... :D

Gee, :signs108 you'll notice we're good at that. But I do have a Gillette gold ball tech that is one of my favorite DE shavers. ;)

19. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

I am a Steelers fan, even though I am a Pitt person I also root for Penn State.

20. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Holy double identities, Batman!! :rofl