Some wise words I got from twitter

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by bittermormon, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I'm still a total noob. I'm also completely guilty of trying too hard to get a great close shave that I end up with irritation on my neck fairly often. I was asking a few questions to @craigthebarber on twitter (who sometimes writes on mantic's blog) and someone else chimed in with something I found very helpful.
    With those words in my head, I lathered up this morning, loaded up a Dorco Plat (which seems to not be as shard as Personna Reds, but agrees with my face more) and just took it easy. The result, one of the closest shaves I've had in a few weeks, with zero irritation. I barely even felt the alum block after. I hope I can do it again tomorrow.

This is probably common sense to many of you, but it really helped me out so I wanted to pass it along.

Conrad1959 likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Congrats! The advice you are passing along is sound.

3. Java

Java Member

Always a good idea. No one remembers what it's like to be a noob, as well as a noob does. I've only been with this forum for a month, but sometimes I get to tossing around the jargon as if everyone understands. Example; Hearing a bunch of "old hands" talk about a razor thats "less aggressive", it's easy for us noobs to get the idea that "less aggressive = won't cut hot butter", but it doesn't mean that at all. It's easy to hear "Use less pressure", but years of cartridge or electric shaving have trained us subconsciously to press harder if we want a better shave, so hearing about what made it click for you, might help all of us.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Chasing the baby generally leads to trouble. Get your technique down and make it simple and you will achieve more DFS+ and BBS shaves than you know what to do with.

I got a 1 pass, ATG BBS with my R-41 this morning.....:scared003:

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Wise words. My goal every morning is to achieve the best DFS, as a result my shaves are nearly BBS.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Yep.. that's the way to go...

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Do you find that makes you more prone to ingrown hair than if you did WTG, XTG first? Cheers!

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I normally only go N-S then S-N since I got my R-41. Before I would go 4 passes, E-W, W-E, N-S, & SN and call it a day. It is normally when I start doing extra stuff like touch up passes when I get burned. I've never really had a problem with ingrowns though. I get one occasionally, but only a few times a year maybe?

9. D3ADLY

D3ADLY New Member

I usually do a 2 pass WTG, relather - XTG, relather - ATG shave. BBS everytime. Last couple times, I figured I'd change it up a little and try something new. So I did a 2 pass shave right off the rip ATG. Relathered, and did 2 pass ATG again to catch anything I might have missed. My results were the same just took less time. ><

I usually don't have problems with in grown hairs. I thought it was interesting changing it up a bit for a try. However, I like playing with my razor so I think I'll more than often do the normal routine since I get to make more passes with the razor. :happy097:

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wonderful words. When I was new I strived for BBS all of the time. To the point of causing irritation. Eventually it happened, and I could almost make BBS happen at will. But as times change I find myself doing less passes and going just for a good close shave.. I now think I enjoy the shave more. I enjoy aggressive razors more, the R41 which in the beginning usually left me with irritation, due to doing too many passes. Now give me a sense of accomplishment 1 pass and done giving me a DFS , if I would push for BBS I most certainly would end up with irritation. It's all about enjoying the shave. I enjoy it more now that I quit worrying about BBS.

J.S. Desmarais likes this.