Alcolado Glacial

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by FortWayneShaver, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Any experiences? One gets the impression that it'd be good for summertime, but I don't want to buy it blind. Let me know what you know. Thanks!

Andy

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I've not tried it yet but I hear it compares with the likes of Osage Rub. So if you like a highly mentholated AS, then it's definitely worth a try.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

It's not quite as cold as Osage Rub but smells a whole bunch better. Good stuff, I should use mine more often.

4. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Not quite as cold as Osage. I use it all the time when it's hot. Here in TX we had a grueling Summer, and I frequently reapplied Alcolada to my face as well as my neck just to cool off.

5. FortWayneShaver

Any descriptions of scent? Quick fader or staying power?

6. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

I am very bad at describing scents, but I would say it is citrussy. (I am pretty sure citrussy is not a word) The scent doesn't last very long in my opinion.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: The scent does fade quickly.

8. FortWayneShaver

I say citrussy is a word. And if it's not, then let's make it one!

byrd likes this.
  9. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

For sure citrussy, kind of like grapefruit great stuff for warm weather.Heck who am I kidding, I use this and The Rub with 444 and M-Bomb in the winter too :smiley freezing:

ajdhn likes this.
  10. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

There's an arctic blast for you. It stings if you face is irritated from the shave, though. Feels good, but doesn't last long.

11. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

It is very cooling, and the cooling last longer than the scent for me. Scent to me is Key lime pie with rum. I love the stuff on hot muggy days.

12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I pick up a lime scent too. I usually use it with a small dab of Proraso pre/post shave balm.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Thought I'd try some after reading all the input! Checked eBay and amazon. Wow, a little pricey isn't it?

14. Java

Java Member

The scent to me is eucalyptus and limes. The only other menthol I have to compare it to is Barbasol's menthol A/S, and the Alcolado has more menthol and more alcohol than that. After a splash of cold water, it's cool and refreshing, but stings a little. After giving my neck quite a razor burn one morning I splashed on the Alcolado with my pores still open (no cold water first) and I couldn't feel my face for about 15 minutes. It was amazing.

Johnus, did you maybe see a 16 oz bottle for sale? The 8.4 oz bottle at the Shave Den store is $7.99 which is more than Barbasol or Aqua Velva, but right in line with most of the other drug store brands if you take the size into account (4 oz Old Spice vs 6 oz Clubman vs 8 oz Alcolado, etc.)

15. FortWayneShaver

Would you al recommend this over Royall Lime?

16. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

It's been a long time since I tried Royall Lime,but I dont think it has any menthol in it,it also isn't a long lasting scent.I personally like alcolado better,but I love menthol and lots of it.To me alcolado or Osage Rub mixed with a dab of 444 makes me a happy camper :D

CyanideMetal likes this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I actually find it to be just as cold as Osage Rub. In fact, I find that the menthol feeling lasts longer as well. It has a nice, mild scent which doesn't interefere with a cologne or eau de toilette. It also makes a great after shower splash on a hot, humid evening or morning.