Proraso changes coming, 3 new scents

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by IAmTheJody, Feb 8, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Joseph at Italian Barber has confirmed to me that Proraso is doing away with/has done away with the "Green Tea & Aloe" shaving cream (the one in the all-white tub) and are replacing it with the new "Green Tea & Oat" shaving cream.
    Proraso just lost me as a customer. That is all. :angry019:

2. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I hope the new white version smells better than the old one. PU!

3. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I'm all for natural. I'm quite open to these new changes. Our lives are bombarded with enough chemicals and toxins as it is. So long as the product performs as well or better than before, I'll continue to buy Proraso.

I'm not a chemist, but I would think that removing dodgy preservatives and such would have little affect on the working properties of the product by comparison to switching from one key fat to another like tallow to palm. The shelf life could be shortened a bit, but I wouldn't imagine it would be by much....don't know though.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Removing aloe and replacing it with wheat doesn't follow the logic of "removing dodgy preservatives". Or did I miss something about aloe being such an ingredient? Or were you not even replying to me? :happy102:

5. Sunflake

First the wheat and now the white, Sorry Jody maybe the Sandalwood will help. We still have great green according to someone in Italy who has tried it. He said it may even be slicker than the original and the scent is the same. Lets hope. :)

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hope the 'Store' will be carrying samples of all three of the new blends ! Be a great way to try them!:)-)

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Can't wait to try this stuff. I've been holding on to a tube of the old Proraso Red for memory sake.

8. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Hi Jody - I was referring loosely to your comments, but not entirely. :) Regardless, I was speaking specifically about their removing parabens from the chemical line up. I'm not sure switching from aloe to wheat does anything to extend the shelf life of the products as would parabens. As for the change up, maybe the green tea and aloe weren't selling so well, beats me. I do look forward to trying the new Green and possibly others. I guess we'll see. If they made a bad call here, I think I read somewhere that the Vitos cream is similar to an older formula of Proraso green - but don't quote me there. I've not tried the Vitos and I'm only going by a vague memory....and I'm having a snifter of scotch! ;)

colosilverado and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. rafikz

rafikz Member

Hi

I havent seen the new formulas in Montreal yet

I even went to Vasco and nothing yet :-(

10. colosilverado

colosilverado Active Member

Is there for sure no aloe in the green tea cream or are they hyping up the oat part as a new twist and leaving the aloe in?

11. colosilverado

colosilverado Active Member

rafikz, rest assured that if there is any new cream in Montreal, Jeff would sense it in his whiskers and have it on his face within 24 hrs.

12. Sunflake

No aloe but from what I have read it smells very similar to the old formula. Which to me is nothing to write home about.

13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, all to the good from my perspective. I haven't been able to use Proraso at all (except for the 2 times I trialed it) because whatever is in that chemical preservative slurry makes my face very inflamed! Nothing else has ever done that. Maybe I'll be able to use the new stuff. Wait, I've got years too many soaps creams already! Must resist temptation...

awake2shave likes this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The only one I've tried is the Eucalyptus and Menthol in the metal tube. I bought a couple of Aloe & Green Tea in the foam ( I know I know, but I need a good foam to take with me to drill instead of carting around 5 different things.) I hope I won't regret buying them.

15. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hi, did the aftershave change at all? I love the scent.

16. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I think you might be right WRT shelf life. However, I'm always concerned they change what is know today to be a carcinogen for yet another preservative that is the same but isn't known to be. Can anyone confirm if all they did was removing the parabens or did they actually replace them with something else?

17. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

(emphasis added) — So, what is improper about the Italian packaging? Is it just the fact that it's not in English?

I'm kind of eager to try this stuff. Perhaps I'll just have to order some from overseas.

18. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Looks like things have moved up. You can buy it for sure at Italianbarber.com and BullGoose.com

I've got all of the green line and it is an excellent product.

Smott likes this.
  19. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I ordered the sandalwood off of eBay for $11 shipped I love sandalwood and this is no exception. Good stuff.

20. Sunflake

The scent is a little stronger and has more staying power in the new AS splash. It's even better at least to me and the few other reviews I have seen.