Is a DE shave really better for razor bumps?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Java

Java Member

Hirsute; I'm sure someone here will quickly correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all of the currently available EJ razors use exactly the same head. They run from the mid-30 dollar range to the mid-90 dollar range, but the difference is all in how ornate the handle is.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's true of those currently in production. It was only a few years ago they sold some with a different head (Merkur I think), so you might run into some old stock in some dusty corner or if you're searching ebay and classifieds on shave forums.

To the Hirsute - I recommend buying the least expensive new EJ you like the looks of. Even the lowest cost EJ razors shave great and IMHO look better than some razors costing double.

3. prsman23

prsman23 New Member

+1 on the sampler pack! Great way to find out what works best for you. Just be sure to use one brand until you are comfortable enough with technique (a month or so), and then experiment from there.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yeah use ZERO pressure. I learned the hard way because I tore my face up and and had a bunch of ingrowns and razor burn. I'm a newbie too and I'm learning just like you. Check out the Art of Manliess or go on Youtube and type in "Mantic59" or "Geofatboy." Those guys will show you everything you need to know.

5. OMar Doaz

OMar Doaz New Member

I just purchased a EJ BD89 and have used it 3 times with derby blades. I have had several issues with razor bumps and ingrown hairs. So far so good and i shaved 3 days in a row which was always a nightmare.

6. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Quite interesting indeed. I have shaved twice with my new EJ DE89 using a Derby blade and it's been fairly rough for me. Though I was having lather and blade angle issues (which are being addressed in another thread), I do question whether the derby blades are the best choice in this razor. I guess we'll see!

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Blades are always subjective between people; a sampler pack of DE blades is always the best bet to go, and tends to be easier for those new to wet shaving get used to a blade which they can work with easily.

8. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I didn't open yet my Deby blades that I got with the EJ DE89. From what everybody writes , I didn't miss anything.

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Myself, I like Derby's..pretty smooth...

10. OMar Doaz

OMar Doaz New Member

I'm sorry i just read what i wrote and gives the wrong impression. I had razor bumps and ingrown hair issues in the past. Now that i'm using the EJ it has been a lot better. Sorry for the confusion.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I actually find Derby blades to be pretty good and smooth blades, although they don't have as much longevity as Rapiras or Voskhods. :)

KLF likes this.
  12. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Welcome! I used to have fairly bad ingrowns, and switching to DE really, really helped me. Now that said, I still got them from time to time - though much fewer - on my neck and that was solved by mastering my beard growth knowledge and finding out what I can and can't do, and in what direction, on my neck. Since mastering that, I rarely get any sort of ingrown. My favorite razors these days are my E.J. DE89L and my Merkur 41C Open-comb or "1904" razors. I also love my Fat-Boy and Slim.

As many have stated, blades are subjective, maybe even more so than scent! Just experiment and have fun, but don't add too many variable until you get the hang of things.

KLF and GDCarrington like this.