I still use Williams mug shaving soap! Who is with me?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zilla, Mar 30, 2012.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

The scent of Williams is FAR better than VDH!

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I agree. VDH performs well, but has an odd, artificial scent.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Used Williams a few times in the '70's....Can't say it won me over, :)...I don't know if that would be vintage or modern....Now I'm a 'dyed in the wool'.....Arko Shave Stick Man!!
    But as Voltaire was so fond of saying, " I'll defend unto death a man's right to use Williams..." or something like that....lol

battle.munky and Hanzo like this.
  4. thevez2

That would have been vintage, awesome stuff! Funny you mention Arko, I sometimes like to mix Williams and Arko (WilKo) to produce a great hybrid soap.

HA! That reminded me of this clip:

Slipperyjoe and OldSaw like this.
  5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Williams was my main soap for many years. Since getting more serious about wet shaving 3 years ago, and discovering many higher end soaps, I doubt I could ever go back. My Tabac, MWF and many others are just too good by comparison.

6. thevez2

Sure, but it is still fun to play with Williams too.

Zilla likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I've got one puck of vintage Williams. Love it. Have no problems whatever to get great lathers. I moisten it first, let it soften a while and then rub the puck over my stubbles.
    I like the scent as well. :happy088:

Zilla and CyanideMetal like this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Holy Macaronus!!!!!!! You are the first I've read about here on the Den (there may be others that I missed) that rubs the puck directly on your face. Have you tried it with DVH or other hard soaps? I used DVH this way the other night and it was outstanding. I use all my hard soaps this way. When I found this way of lathering, it eliminated all problems associated with water hardness, brush, bowls, etc.

Wish I could get others to try their hard soaps like this. Maybe a "Rub your Puck" week here on TSD?

Zilla, macaronus and DLP like this.
  9. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

"Rub your Puck", something about that just sounds wrong. :taunt002:

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:happy097:

11. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Member

I've never tried the vintage Williams soap, considering I'm too young to even have used it when it was available. But the modern stuff I don't like, I find that it dries up to fast. Maybe it's they way I'm lathering it, but I thumbs up the VDH.

battle.munky and Zilla like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I haven't tried it with DVH or other hard soaps - yet. I read once of somenone using hus ouck of soap that way (I think it was Joop / ajdhn). And isn't it the way to use a shave stick?
    I'll try a DVH-face-rubbing tomorrow. And I've got a refill puck of TSD Bay Rum. Maybe tuesday? Hmm. Sounds like a plan!

CyanideMetal and Zilla like this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:happy102:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  14. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

The local CVS around the carries Williams Mug soap. I assume it is Tue modern formula, but every time I've been there they have 1 Puck on the same wrong shelf and it looks like it has been there quite a while so maybe it is still original vintage stock afterall... lol. I've never tried it, largely due to the less than stellar reviews I've seen on here. Did just pick up a Puck of VDH though and I do like that.

Dennis Nedry likes this.
  15. thevez2

I don't think there is any chance of CVS having any vintage stock. The stores haven't been around long enough. You'd have to see it in an old timey drug store to have any hopes of finding any.

16. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I can relate. I "played" with my last puck 2 years ago, and my play mood played out. Found myself doctoring it with glycerin and combining it with Arko and even canned goo, etc, just to get through it. I never imagined I could get spoiled, but I have.

battle.munky likes this.
  17. thevez2

Oh, one of those. I see how it is.

Hanzo and DLreno like this.
  18. dmalsbury

dmalsbury New Member

I've only used the "modern"? Williams and can say unequivocally that it is my favourite over all. I also use VDH and other Italian cremes, (all fine products), but Williams is easy for me to lather and I get great shaves with it. I use it about 3-4 times out of the 7 days that I shave. I have found some of the more expensive brands to be way less cost effective(on a per shave basis) and while they work well they tend to be highly overrated- IMHO. Bottom line is that Williams is a great product and has shown that by it staying in the market all these years(formula changes notwithstanding).

19. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Yup, that's me. I do it with Harris, Trumpers, TOBS, C&E, basically all hard soaps that I've purchased in a nice to look at but otherwise too small wooden bowl.
    With DVH I mostly load the brush directly on the puck in the plastic container. And last week I've put my MWF in an empty shaving cream tub and filled the gaps around with nuked Mama Bear lime ice soap. Got that idea from a some post here. I think it was Hanzo. Works great.

Zilla and macaronus like this.
  20. Java

Java Member

That about sums it up for me, too. I like Williams just fine. (The new stuff, I've never tried the old one.) For 59 cents more the VdH Deluxe is in my regular rotation, while the Williams just gets used a few times a month. To answer the question; I can get it to lather just fine, I don't mind the rather sharp citrus with Ivory soap smell of it, so yeah, I like it.

Zilla likes this.