Did shaving change your life ?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by KLF, Apr 14, 2012.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

So I was thinking, did your shaving hobby had any impact on other aspects of your life ? Did you change anything in your life as a direct or indirect effect of shaving routine ? For myself I can say that as a result of my new shaving habits, I began to take more care of my general aspect and bought new outfits for me :). My wife is happy :p

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well there's the supposed money saving. The looking forward to the morning shave instead of dreading and putting it off. My face no longer looks like I got the pocks and of course the chicks really dig the straight razor..:cool:

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Besides better looking skin I'd say yes that I made some changes in grooming and clothes choices for the better. Also I've become a greener person always looking at ways to repurpose the containers from anything I buy and using manufacturers that put thought into their products by putting them into recyclable containers.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Since I had to shave everyday while I was in the Air Force, I'm used to it.
    What has changed is that it (shaving) has gone from a "have to" to a "get to."
    It's no longer the morning chore of scraping the face. I look forward to my "ME" time.

Zilla and macaronus like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011: except for the Air Force part... :) Just an ordinairy office job. Now shaving is for fun in stead of a chore! :happy108:

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I think it's made me more attentive, more aware. I have to be careful and pay attention as I shave and that generalizes into everything I do. Shaving is like a moving meditation. Like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  7. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

I have long been introspectively evaluating my life and working hard to improve it. While I still have many areas in which to improve, wetshaving was a step in that direction. Learning to be more mindful of the moment, improving my skills rather than getting new tools, and trying to become more sustainable/self-reliant in many ways is covered by traditional shaving methods. I have enough razors, sharpening stones, and skill to last a lifetime. I could very possibly (and it is my intention) never spend another dollar on shaving implements.

This has also led to an interest fountain pens. If I can buy one pen never replace a cartridge, I can reduce my consumerism and improve my skills and teach my kids something (hopefully) of the value of durable goods. I've gotten over acquisition disorders (not just in shaving, in all areas). Just in time too.

8. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Yes it has impacted me. In the Army it was all about the 5 minute Sh@t,Shave,Shower. The hurry up and wait. Now with shaving I have to slow down and enjoy the time. The shave is the part of the day I look forward to. It is my me time! Not only slowing down for the shave, I have slowed down all aspects of life and learned to stop and enjoy each moment in this fast paced world. And do you want to talk about stress relief. Who would think it all strated from a hobby of wet shaving?

crackstar and Williams Warrior like this.
  9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Yes, have to say it has. Taking more pride in my appearance. Taking care of my skin - not just on my face! Flossing every day (a big deal for me). Getting really great haircuts at a really great real barber (no more Great Clips for this lad!) -shout our for Porter"s Barber Shop in Spokane, WA. And I now like shaving - look forward to it! Interesting little side effects in my life. Who would have thought...

10. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Shaving has changed my life, without a doubt.

If I hadn't joined these forums, I'd be eating charred select steaks, drinking drip coffee with sweetened creamer, overlooking my car's maintenance, wearing unsightly clothing, viewing a watch as an old people's thing, and just overall being a lower grade version of myself. I think that shaving was the key to me finding this forum which ultimately led to me honing my personality in other various aspects.

I can't thank shaving and the folks on these boards enough for sharing their awesome qualities.

11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

The past two years has been an overall improvement in my personal grooming. I definitely have noticed a healthier looking facial skin. Before I started wet shaving I never used any after shaves, today they are a regular part of shaving ritual. I have also have forgone the use of liquid body soap, I now use bar soap.

Yes wet shaving has brought about an improvement in my overall life, for that I am thankful.

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I can't really explain it, but shaving fulfills a hunger I've always had.

13. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

I don't know if shaving has changed my life dramatically but it has improved some areas. I enjoy shaving everyday and look forward to it. Plus I spend countless hours on tapatalk looking at shave forums. I have a reason to go into antique stores as well. But I notice I have really looked more into the scents I wear, like my deodorant and body wash.

I do hear a lot more complaining from SWMBO of "you're shaving again today!?!" and "you're buying MORE shaving stuff!?!"

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I don't know if it it changed any other aspects of my life, but in general, if I shave I have a good day. It just makes me feel better about myself.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Didn't change my life but it did reduce the number of white collared shirts I need to keep on hand.

16. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Wet shaving is what led me to classic hair products, which I absolutely love, because they are so simple and just do wonders for my hair. (My profile pic to the cotnrary I don't usually go for a mad men look with them. I use a little, and it really makes my otherwise unruly hair amazingly easy to manage.)

17. Java

Java Member

Like Macaronus I agree completely accept I wasn't in the Air Force, I've just always had jobs where the dress code said you had to shave everyday. For me wet shaving is another symptom of a little midlife crisis of sorts. Instead of buying a sportscar, I started collecting fedoras, fountain pens, and shaving brushes. Shaving forums were responsible for me going back to an honest to goodness barbershop, instead of a chain of unisex salons. Instead of my hair getting cut by a different barely qualified woman every month, it is now cut by Marvin. Everytime. I should thank y'all for that.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

TWS is my manifestation of a mid-life crisis too. Instead of going to the shoe show and what not, I stare at the computer waiting on the next release of RazoRock soap. I'm in sad shape and need help, but I just don't care any more.:sad023:

19. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I used to get terrible irritation from shaving with cartriges and would put off shaving for a week +. Now I look forward to it, my face feels better than ever, and I dont't have to decide to do with any pesky "extra" money I ever come across, its spent!

20. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Not so much wet shaving....but the wet shaving community has changed my life. I have always wet shaved. I never liked the tinned goo, so I used a Wilkinsonsword Boar brush and Erasmic stick for most of my shaving life along with various cartridge razors and occasionally a Wilkinson sword Classic razor. Once I discovered the online shaving communities I really started to enjoy the process as I learned how to shave properly and 'met' like minded friends. I have always enjoyed mechanical watches and fountain pens which are also common on this type of forum. Now that I have become used to pampering myself I dress better and have more interest in the multitude of scents available, and as I have moved on from the military...I am now taking more interest in hair care as I can now have more hair to care for!