Emergence of a Wet Shaver

Discussion in 'Articles' started by fishcrow, Apr 25, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Emergence of a Wet Shaver

Two years ago I began my traditional wet shaving journey. I bought a couple vintage Gillette Techs, some blades, and a cheap boar brush. My first puck of soap was Van Der Hagen. That was my humble beginnings.

I grew up in a home where personal things like grooming were not discussed. My father handed me an electric razor, told me that is how we shave. There was no more discussion or fatherly teaching. I used the electric razor up until I entered the Army. Using an electric razor was frowned upon in the Army. I quickly made the switch to a cartridge and "canned goo". I learned to shave with a cartridge and goo.

Over the years that followed I would switch back and forth using an electric for awhile and then a cartridge. I final gave up the electric and went to using a cartridge razor as my shave tool. Over the years as more blades were added I would hop on the bandwagon for the next new multi-blade. The more the blades the worse the shave became. Shaving became a chore, something that had to be done. Half way through the day I looked like I never shaved.

The ritual of shaving was a chore. I never used after shave or anything else in my grooming ritual. My dad would use a splash of Old Spice just on Sunday. I do not recall my dad doing anything but shave each morning.

I lost my job in '09 and our finances became very tight. I went on disability in 2010. I decided that there had to be a more cost effective way to shave. The cost of multi-blades was almost cost prohibitive. I joined the Shave Den and other forums. The Shave Den was the driving force behind my change.

Slowly I began re-learning how to shave again. I soon discovered that traditional wet shaving gave me the best shaves I experienced. The shaves were good even as I began to learn and unlearn bad habits of shaving.

My den began to grow and soon I added a Parker Badger and other vintage razor. I decided to go the vintage route for my razors. My tools begin to grow, adding open combs, a couple of adjustable razors, a Schick injector, several SS. I began trying out different blades. A variety of soaps and creams, balms and cologne were discovered, too.

August of last year I added my first quality boar brush, an Omega 48. Also a LuJin Badger was given to me. Using the boar brush was an eye opener, as it was broke in it became softer. It is a lathering monster. Recently I added the Semogue and Vulfix boars.

The past two years has been a journey and awakening of my personal grooming. Traditional wet shaving has helped evolve my grooming habits. I was always presentable, traditional wet shaving turns it up a notch. I stopped using liquid soap, discovering different soaps for my showers. After a great shave, I like putting the finishing touches such as a splash or balm.

Reflecting back on the last two years, I have learned how to shave properly and learned how to make lather using a brush. There has been a few nicks along the way, now they hardly happen. When they do, it was a mistake. I learned the proper angle, the proper amount of pressure to apply. I am learning and always improving my lathering. Experimenting with water needed, I think I have just about have it down pat. There has been humorous moments also, like the shave soap that lathered up black!

Looking ahead, part of the fun of wet shaving is the choices. I enjoy trying various blades and yes, some blades work better for me than others, but there are still blades I want to try. I have not decided if I like the soap creams or hard soaps, tallow or glycerin. The simple answer is I like them all. Do I have favs? Yes, the RazoRock soaps,TSD soaps, mmm just about any soaps. I have decided that my razors will be vintage, like using a razor with a history. I am still discovering the various scents of aftershave, cologne, and balms, simply because it is still new to me. Brushes, I think I am going to take the piggy route. The Semogue has opened the world of great boar brushes. I also know that I want to add a Vie Long horse hair brush too.

I want to thank everyone that has aided me on this journey with friendships, advice, pif of products. It has been a joy learning about the world of wet shaving. I want to continue trying products, learning, and passing my journey of wet shaving to others. The Shave Den is a great community of the brotherhood of wet shaving. I feel honored to be a small part of this great forum.

Slivovitz, wlmcad, Dslazar9 and 18 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent posting!

Not only are you shaving better, but you are really enjoying it rather than dreading it!

Keep enjoying your shaves!

fishcrow, Slipperyjoe and ajdhn like this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Strange, isn't it, that such a mundane routine should be personally transformative... part of a sort of personal renaissance. Thanks for the great story. :)

fishcrow and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah great story, My father was similar, a miner, and a man of very few words I do remember him using a DE at some point(although im not too shure what maybe it was a Gillette knack as I remenber a white/cream handle) he used a shave stick and brush before moveing over to the canned goo, and then he went on to carts and cheap disposable ones. he had tried electric but not for too long then back to disposable bic's. So i kinda grew up not knowing how or what was best to shave with. The internet kinda saved me with all the information and stores available so easily.

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great write-up, Brad!
    Thanx for posting!
    crowdyell.gif
    Shave and enjoy!

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:transport022::wave:GREAT STORY! :git:

fishcrow likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well done, Brad. Thanks! An enjoyable read.

fishcrow likes this.
  8. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

You have eloquently described a process that most of us are experiencing or have experienced in one form or stage or another.
    I don't know how this could have been presented more thoroughly. I don't know how you could have made it more entertaining! Thank you.

fishcrow, alpla444 and macaronus like this.
  9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Thanks for sharing

fishcrow likes this.
  10. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Brad, That was a great read!!!! I love to hear stories of why one switched to the classic shave. And Hooah to a fellow Army vet!:transport024:

fishcrow likes this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

fishcrow likes this.
  12. Brad, that was just plain brilliant, thanks for sharing this. Aren't you proud of the amount of progress you made? From electric shaver to some vintage razors, it's just plain awesome!

fishcrow likes this.
  13. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Fantastic post, it made for most excellent reading! Thank you very much for sharing your journey so far with us!

Well done!

fishcrow likes this.
  14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Great post, Brad. I really enjoyed reading about your journey. A lot of that sounded very familiar to me. :signs107:

fishcrow likes this.
  15. ajhracing

ajhracing New Member

Wet shaving is all I have done. Both of my Grandfathers did it. My Dad has had a full beard my whole life. I got a DE razor from my Grandparents for my 16th birthday and bought a Burhma brush at the barder shop to go with it. Like my Grandfathers I used Ivory soap. It worked, but I discovered Dove is a bigger bar so I have used it ever since. I got in the habit of going to the barber shop on Saturdays for a shave and would usually see both Grandfathers there. One day about 3 years ago I was sitting in the barber shop watching an old man with shakey hands give someone his first barber shop shave and I got to thinking I could shave my self with a straight razor. I bot a cheap Parker that takes half a double edge blade and still have a scar on my chin from that learning process. I still have the Parker but now I am using a DE and think I will stick with that. I have never seen shaving as a chore. It is my time. I enjoy it and everybody knows not to bother me when I am shaving. My wife seems to enjoy watching me though. It wasn't until I bought the Parker that I relized how much of a community was out there on the internet and it opened a whole new world to me. I have been using the same stuff since I was 16. I didn't know all these soaps or anything like that even existed. The variety of brushes and soaps amazed me. I just used Ivory or Dove and the same brush the barber used. The multi-blade cartridge thing never made since to me. One blade gets the job done at the barber, it will get the job done at home. It's just a gimmick, one blade is all you need.

SHAVEWIZARD420, fishcrow and KLF like this.
  16. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Thanks for the thoughtful writing! I have great memories of watching my father shave with his Gillette Adjustable-I'm pretty sure it was a Slim. He'd take the blade out and let me "shave" the Gillette Goo off of my face. Unfortunately he died very young when I was 10-shaving with him is one of my best childhood memories. I think about him every time I put a blade in one of my many TTO's.

fishcrow and Queen of Blades like this.
  17. Thanks for sharing your story! I went through a very similar process with a very similar father, who gave me an electric razor for Christmas when I was 15 and said nothing else. I shaved with that razor for 5 years. Without changing the blades. Yikes.

fishcrow likes this.
  18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thank you everyone for the kind words and sharing your stories.

19. D3ADLY

D3ADLY New Member

That was interesting seeing how someone came to wetshaving. I enjoyed reading that story as well. I'll might see about posting how I came to do it soon and introduce myself to the forums. :yoda2

20. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I enjoyed reading your story. :)