Slow and easy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by emmijack, May 8, 2012.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Just finished my shave, this morning decided to use my Muhle R41 Grande which I haven;t used for around a month as I was haveing trouble getting to grips with the different angle needed, I left myself plenty of time as well( didn't want to cut myself up like last time), using a semogue and palmolive original cream gave my face a really good prep and lather, then took it slow and easy with the Muhle, only WTG and XTG as I didn't want to push it, Hot rinse, Cold rinse, followed by Metholated witch hazel and WOW, WOW, WOW, what a shave, Slow and Easy is certainly the key at least until I get my technique down pat with the Muhle!!!!

Conrad1959 and VANCE723 like this.
  2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Sounds relaxing. How long did it take you from start to finish?

3. emmijack

Around 40 minutes from start to finish, but im sure this will improve the more i use the razor

4. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

From what I've seen, some people might tell you that 40 minutes sounds pretty good. Wouldn't it be nice if we always had time to take things slow and easy? I know that I often feel like I'm just rushing through life, as if the end were more important than the means—the destination more important than the journey. I'm still learning how to best use my time to be productive, strengthen relationships with others, and find joy in life. Shaving seems to be something tangible we can do to help us slow down a little and be conscious of the moment.

burpsan likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Why rush it? No need to... alarm clocks are adjustable :p

I'm up at 4:20 in the morning. Out the door by 6:15. I hate to rush.

Zilla likes this.
  6. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Just take your time and show it respect and it won't bite back.I find I only need two passes for a DFS as well.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I neither try to speed up or slow down when I shave, but just let the natural pace prevail. But, the more aggressive razors seem to have a slower natural pace.

8. old okie

old okie Member

I always spend at least 30 minuets for my shave, anyone that does not like the time that I spend does not matter to me. The wife takes a good hour to do hair and put her face on, so the whole world can like it or not.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. emmijack

my sentiments exactly!!!!!

Zilla likes this.
  10. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I take at least 30 minutes to shave in the morning. It is just my me time. I relax, prep and go stress free!

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I shave at midnight. That way, I have 6 hours of quiet to get a good shave.

tomnat likes this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

While I was in the field last week I was whipping out 3 pass shaves with my straight razor in around 10 minutes - that's a guess since the morning routine was 15 minutes for me from getting up, brushing teeth, shaving, baby wipe shower, etc. Now that I'm home again, I'm looking at around 30 or so minutes because I can.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thought I'd share a saying appropriate to this conversation that I picked up from someone outside this forum:

"It's not a race, it's your face"

Slipperyjoe and Neolithium like this.
  14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Wha...wha...what?!?! You sir, are a steely eyed missile man.

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That was more out of necessity to be quick. Everyone else in my detachment was using an electric razor LOL. Cheaters ;)

tomnat likes this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Slow and steady wins the face race.. sign 6.jpg

17. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Being retired I rarely need to rush through a shave. I'll sometimes experiment with two or three soaps/creams during a single shave. I've done the same with blades, shaving left side with Blade A and right side with Blade B. Being able to leisurely work through a shave allows me to relish each step in the process. Same with reading - if I had to rush through a book, why bother? Where's the joy in that?

18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Last few months have been doing the open razor thing. Setup, including coffee making, runs 45 to 60mins. See why they didn't have time for TV or Radio in the 1800's.

19. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i am getting the urge to bust out my r41 in the morning & give it another go