NSD's (No Shave Days)

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by CmdrBond, May 4, 2012.

1. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

OK, I got thinking about this.

Some people, out of necessity, ritual, or laziness do not shave every day - so for those that don't:

1. Why don't you shave every day?
    2. Do you treat your skin with anything on NSD's or just wash with soap and water as normal?

I'll start this:

1. Because of laziness and because of necessity. Laziness should fly out of the window once I start to enjoy shaving instead of finding reasons to go another day without. Necessity is letting my skin heal between cheese-gratings - letting all the ingrowns grow out or get plucked out and the skin heal over.
    2. At the moment, just soap and water - but I want to do more. I just don't know what to get and I am not a vein person - don't really care about all this wrinkle stuff they keep trying to push, even to men, just want irritation free skin.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If work didn't dictate that I shave every day, I wouldn't. I can easily skip a day between shaves and not look the worse for wear.

I normally take one of the weekend days off from shaving to give my face a rest. I'm sure I could shave every day without issue, but a day off is always nice.

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I try to shave every other cuz the beard is kind of a slow grow, but the urge to shave is strong in this one and I often end up at 36 hour cycles. I Let the face alone in between...

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I take Saturday's off just to give the face a rest. I do the normal routine on that day which is a warm water wash with a Cetaphil cleansing bar.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I usually shave every other day. My beard doesn't grow fast enough for me to have to shave every day. Sometimes I do shave back to back days, but it's because I want to, not because I have to. As far as the treatment of my skin on the off days; I just take a shower like normal. The only difference is that I don't shave. I do, however, use my moisturizer everyday, whether I shave or not.

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I force myself to take a day off every week or two, just to give my face a rest. Funny, when I was an electric shaver (shudder!) I took the day off whenever I could, sometimes going 3-4 days without shaving if I could get away with it. Now I hate "off" days! I truly marvel at how much satisfaction I find in shaving. Besides, I'm 50 years old - how will I ever try all the soaps I NEED to try if I take days off?

Another thing I marvel at - I never realized what healthy, properly conditioned skin was in all these years - I often find myself unconsciously caressing my own face throughout the day now - and I realize that I've never had good skin before. The change is obvious in the mirror, but having never seen it before, I didn't know what was missing before...

FacialCarnage and Metro like this.
  7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I dont need to shave every day, sometimes even miss 2 on the bounce. as I do shift work 12hr shifts that is so not always up for it when doing nights.
    If I miss a day or two nothing special gets done.

8. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I usually take days off because I'm running late and sometimes just because;) When I do I still just use soap and water as usual.

9. Jefferey

Jefferey New Member

I just joined the forums because I started researching shaving because I have always hated it so much. I have sensitive skin and the only way to not have bad burning after was to shave in the shower towards the beginning, so I could be in the hot water for another 5-10 minutes. So I have developed that habit of skipping as many days as possible. Now that I just started DE, I shave much more often. Also I like how my beard looks grown 1-2 days, so sometimes I leave it for that purpose.

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Since shaving has become something I look forward to in stead of a chore, I shave almost every day. Last weekend I lost a day because of getting up quite late and last week I lost a day because of a leakage in the water system, so I had to close the main tap. Other than that: shaving is an everyday joy! :)

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I'm off on Mondays and usually don't shave. Just because of the way the day goes--have to get up early and take my son to school, etc...

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have kids and I have to shave fast most mornings. This means I end up with irritation and nicks from time to time. Sometimes I give my face a rest to let it heal. I can kind-of get away with one day. You can tell I haven't shaved but I don't look totally feral yet. I can't go more than one day without getting into trouble. I don't treat my face with anything on NSDs, other than the usual soap and water. I find that time is the best healer.

13. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I shave from Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday are usually shave-free days if I don't have to work (exceptions may occur). On those shave-free weekends, I still do apply after shave after the shower though, but only because I am not using EdT or similar. My AS of choice on such days is Musgo Real Classic.

14. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

36 hour cyles would work best for me too, but because that would put me on a Midnight/noon cycle, I just shave every two days.

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

When I was still doing construction several years ago I would shave every 2nd to 3rd day (Also because I was too cheap to pay for that many cartridges for my Mach 3). It was painful the day I went back to shave, because I have very fast growing and coarse hair, I used to just do the regular face wash but when I showered I would throw some conditioner on the whiskers to try to help kill the pain I knew was coming LOL.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I occasionally miss a shave due to a busy schedule and while I could sleep a little less, at some point sleep becomes the bigger priority. Thankfully, this only happens 5-10 times/year. Since becoming skilled at wet shaving, I don't need days off, but on a occasion (roughly once/month) need to skip going ATG for a "rest".

When I don't shave, I just wash with soap like normal (head and face).

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's only one day a year I don't plan on shaving - the day I'm heading back from visiting my folks in Maine. I like to be on the road by 3am.
    I'll get up and shower just to help wake up, then use what ever cologne I happen to take, just to smell good.

18. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

normally its because i am in a ruch to get off to work. i have gone 3 days w/o to give my face a break..if i try & puch it to a 4th day the boss usually says something & i know that the next shave is gonna be a bit rough

even if i dont shave i like to put a squirt or 2 of truefitt & hill trafalgar on.i love the smell

19. And

And New Member

I've only just started shaving again after 10years of stubble/laziness! Today is my first NSD (day 3) due to ingrown hairs and to rest my skin. I have been using the Clinique 3 step skin routine daily since February and it's made a big difference-far less dry skin and has evened out my tone and softened my skin.

On shave days I skip step 2 (alcohol scrub/toner) and replace it with my shave routine. I do sometimes do the 3 step in the evenings too.

I have very dry and sensitive skin so good skin care is a must.

20. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

1. I find that shaving every other day is best for my skin. It allows my skin a day off without my facial hair growing too much.
    2. On the days off I just splash with water and then apply a small amount of Benzoyl peroxide.