Seeing Red

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JimPo42, May 14, 2012.

1. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's an outstanding Red Tip, congratulations on a nice find. The Red Tip was advertised by Gillette as being for "heavy" beards, the Blue Tip for "light" and the standard flare tip for "regular" beards.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! I do like mine. Enjoy yours!!

4. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Great looking razor! I don't have good eyes but the red paint on the knob seems be in very good condition. Most red and blue tip razors I have seen (including my own) are missing some paint on the knob.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's such an amazing score Jim..it's practically spiritual!

6. JimPo42

This one doesn't seem to be missing any paint that I can see. I found this one and two ball end techs (one of which I think is also lightly or completely unused) at my parents house. I also scored some old spice in a glass bottle but its still a P&G.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Red Tip was one of the best.

Wait, was? Still is.

Smoothy likes this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That's excellent condition for sure! Enjoy!

9. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Congrats on your discovery! Red Tips rock!!

10. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

11. highball

highball Member

Nice find

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is a nice razor! The sunburn will go away, after which you can have a lifetime of use from that Gillette.

13. JimPo42

I hope so. It looks amazing, and the weight and size feels great in my hands. I have a fairly light beard and pretty sensitive skin so I'm hoping I don't tear myself up with it. I had a DFS with my recently acquired tech this morning and loved it. Something about having a razor that's more than twice my age is terribly satisfying.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's cool that these things can still be used safely, as intended, so long after they were made.

15. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

A Red Tip has a way of growing on a person. The longer I have owned one, the more it seems to get used.

16. JimPo42

I just tried it today for the first time. It may very well be my favorite razor. Near perfect BBS with 2 passes and a touch up. The weight, the length, the aggressiveness are all perfect. Why oh why did Gillette stop making these?!?

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  17. Slipperyjoe

Looks like you didn't find that razor..it found you...

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is a very nice thing when you find the razor that is right for you! Enjoy it!

19. Slipperyjoe

Edit addition: and I think you'd have to ask Gillette why they stopped making the superspeed razor...

20. JimPo42

Or just DEs in general, whatever flavor you like most.