Using an adjustable DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sara-s, May 9, 2012.

1. kaiser

kaiser Member

Some useful information on adjustables. Slim I purchased on eBay should arrive in few days. Can't wait to try it. Not that unhappy with my Lord ;)

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My Super Adjustable came yesterday. More about the results on the weekend. But I already like the feel of the longer handle.

swarden43 and Queen of Blades like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have had a chance to use the SA a couple of times now. I stuck with the Gillette blades, so as not to introduce any new variables. Set on 2, I got so-so shave but no nicks. Set on 3 I got a close shave & a couple of nicks. Time for a new blade, since I really wasn't liking the Gillette 7:00's anyway. Should I start at a low setting & work my way up, when trying a new brand?

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. Start at 2 and work your way up for every "new type" of blade.

That is the method I used here.

DE Blade Challenge II - GDCarrington1

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks. That is very helpful. More, when I try the next brand.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

On the adjustments I often use more than one adjustment during a shave.(just made sure to loosen the head before you turn the adjustment setting). I usually start with a mild setting to knock down most of the beard then move to a higher setting for the finish pass. It gives me a overall milder shave that way. I seems to work well for me.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm sure you will find the right setting and start getting great shaves....But because of the way you were not 'knocked out' by the Slim I'm thinking...I gave Slims to a couple ladies in my family and found out later, they had both switched to Lady Eversharps and were loving them...they even gave away their slims...and they're not interested in trying anything else....Also the samething happened to my Mom back in the day...:) Looks like history repeating itself...
    As I said...I'm hopeing you learn to love your Adjustable Gillette...But just thought I'd pass this along...:) You sound a little like my cousins....Good Luck..;)

8. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Although I rarely use my Slim Adjustable any longer, I go full open to 9 for the first pass, then dial it down to a 7 for pass two. I will set to 3 for the last pass which is nothing more than touch-ups and some light buffing.

Since each of use have vastly different beard growth, types of hair and even technique, what works for one member may not work for you.

Just enjoy your shaves and try to get as close as a BBS that you can without irritation.

9. kaiser

kaiser Member

I had 4 shaves with Slim so far and only one of them was decent, others ended with bad irritation. I'm still very new to DE but so far I'm getting better shaves from Lord L6 and 40s Super Speed. Maybe it's because I haven't found that perfect combo of blade and Slim setting but ATM I have mixed feelings about it... :signs002:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

In the link below are a list of many of the combinations that I have used with the Slim.

DE Blade Challenge II - GDCarrington1

11. kaiser

kaiser Member

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I have some of those blades and I haven't tried them in my Slim.
    By the way, I see that you rated Super-Max Super Platinums very high. I think I've tried Super-Max Platinumus (not Super Platinums) and didn't find them so exceptionally good. I mean the shave was good but not something special. Maybe this is because my lack of experience.
    Oh well, I can always resell it if I'm not one of the lucky ones.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Today I used the SA on 2, with a Feather blade. (First time I have used that brand.) I got a nick-free, irritation free DFS. Things are looking up.

swarden43 and tomnat like this.
  13. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

:happy036: Congrats, Sara!

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

:2thumbs:

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks. On the weekend, I will try it on 3 and see how it goes.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I tried the SA on 3. Definitely closer on my legs with no nicks or cuts. But a bit irritating under my arms. I wonder if I should use a higher or lower setting there. (I could probably use some female advice here.)

18. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I think I found my setting on my slim, I like a 4 on the neck and 5 on face using astras.

19. kaiser

kaiser Member

Today I've tried more aggressive settings on my Slim - "7" for 3 passes and "9" for "cleaning-up". Worked better than my previous shaves on milder settings.

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Very cool...I'm with you...I find the sharper blades work best for me aswell....
    I definitely use a higher setting for my under-arms than my face....and remember...pit-prep is very important aswell...:) A hot shower right before is a big help....and I use a uber-lather combo of my favorite soap and cream...

Congrats on getting a handle on your Adjustable....wishing you many great shaves...

GDCarrington likes this.