1918 Gillette Khaki set - Property U.S. Army

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 29, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's a set I've had for a couple of months now but never got around to sharing... I meant to post it yesterday for Memorial Day but was so busy, I never could find the time.

It's in excellent shape save for the issue on the bottom of the case. No cracks in the handle, no bent teeth. The mirror is in excellent shape. It also has the original thumb-tacks used for hanging the mirror. Usually the thumb-tacks are always missing from the military sets.

The serial number is J1663 which makes this one of the first made specifically for the United States Army for World War I, in the fist year of war production, 1918. I just noticed this yesterday actually and was quite surprised and pleased. I've probably seen 100+ of these and they've all been 1919 except for the one on mr-razor's web site.

All J-series serial numbers were manufactured for the military only.

1918GilletteKhakiSet05.jpg

1918GilletteKhakiSet01.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet02.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet03.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet04.jpg

1918GilletteKhakiSet06.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet07.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet08.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet09.jpg

1918GilletteKhakiSet10.jpg

Leclec13, DaveL, ElliotR and 7 others like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

More images:

1918GilletteKhakiSet11.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet12.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet13.jpg

1918GilletteKhakiSet14.jpg 1918GilletteKhakiSet15.jpg

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Very very nice Jody! But are you sure it still doesn't belong to the army..;)

DaveL and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice, Jody! That is amazing that at almost 100 years old that thing is in as good of condition as it is. Very, very nice. Congrats!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great find. After 100 years Jody, the quality is still outstanding.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That is a beautiful set. Every time I see one of those WWI issue sets, I've always been tempted to grab one.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have rarely seen such a nice set. Beautiful find, Jody.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent specimen! :signs107:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

This one clearly never made it to the trenches! Very nice!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Beautiful Jody! I had ever seen one look so good.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Thanks for sharing! I have the same razor and case-I'm pretty sure mine serial number starts with a G-does that make it 1919?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Great score again Jody. I love these military sets.

I just went and checked mine. J4263 or maybe 4268, I can't tell. From the looks of things mine spent some time in the trenches........buried.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

G would be 1918 as well but could have been a public retail Khaki set. Military sets with E (1918), F (1918), G (1918), H (1918), K (1919 and 1920), L (1920), M (1920) and N (1920 and 1921) serial numbers were sold to the U.S. military but also to the public as well at retail outlets. But J (1918 and 1919) serial numbers were sold to the U.S. military only. There were no I serial numbers for some reason, most likely because it would have caused confusion with the number 1.

Both would be 1918 first year war production for the U.S. military only.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My favorite razor '04 Gillette WW1 and before. Great looking and a fantastic shave.
    Beautiful set that you have. Specially the mirror. Really hard to find in good condition! Thanks for sharing.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

SUPERB
    i ran across one of those a few weeks ago @ a antique market. now i know what the case is SUPPOSED to look like. the one i found was in horrible condition compared to your

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. highball

highball Member

Nice set Jody, I have a Khaki Set # F86301 that has barber pole knurling

Attached Files:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments. :eatdrink047:

1918 non-contract. That knurling is super sweet! First I've seen on an old-type ball-end! Sometimes I think employees at Gillette did odd-ball things like this, and like stamping the logo inside the head cap instead of under the guard, and stamping King C. Gillette's signature in odd places on razors - just for 'its and giggles.

18. IAmTheJody

19. IAmTheJody

On this day in 1914, World War I started. 98 years ago.

Just a tip 'o the hat to those that fought for freedom and carried these Gillette razor sets with them into battle.

PLANofMAN and johnus like this.
  20. Hank

Hank Active Member

That's a really nice one