Barbasol Question...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob72, May 31, 2012.

1. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Because I know several people here have them, could someone give me a *fairly* definitive answer: are the all-metal Barbasols plated brass, or zinc? I like aggressive. I like real metal. I despise government-surplus trashcans, melted down over a campfire, sold for premium $$. Thanks, in advance...;)

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This is NOT definitive but back when I had a Barby, some of the plating was off head and handle and what I saw underneath was brass. Or brassy. It was a rather large-handled razor, but very hollow, so I couldn't have said from weight alone that it was brass...but I believe it was.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm pretty sure it's Brass, but I'm no metallurgist. One thing with Barbasols that I've found is the plating doesn't seem to be of the same high quality as the old Gillettes.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have one all metal Barbasol. It has minor brassing on the head, and I do mean brassing. I'm reasonably certain that the metal thus exposed really is brass. When the plating wears off a pot metal razor, the spots are a different color.

However, I don't actually have a lot of information on these razors, and thus have no idea whether they made them out of more than one material. All I have is one sample.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is nickel plated brass.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks. My Barbasol has brassing too and I wondered what the metal really was.