STAHLY DE RAZOR

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mrraider, May 31, 2012.

1. mrraider

mrraider New Member

Ok fellows out there . I have a chance to buy a stahly razor at a antique store. for $18.00, the problem is it does not vibrate, and the handle is black which is correct and the top of the head is gold but not in great or or real bad shape, a little plate loss .I was just thinking to buy it just to have one for my collection. On ebay when they come up the bids are very high on them. Just give me some opinions what you guys think.

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If it doesn't work, I wouldn't buy it... not for $18.00. $2.00 or $3.00 but not $18.00. The reason the bids are high on eBay is because they work, don't have plating issues and usually have their original wood or plastic case.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Jody would know. :2thumbs:

btw, all caps is considered yelling. :)

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

If you wait around, you'll find decent working Stahly's on ebay or etsy for a reasonably low price. Are you certain this one isn't working. You can turn the handle at one point to take off the head and another to crank the spring. There is some thread on TSD about taking these apart and fixing them, but I'd just check out etsy or ebay. I got mine for $40 shipped on ebay.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I bought mine on eBay for $32 shipped. I've seen them go for both more and less, couldn't really give you a going rate. $18 seems like too much if the mechanism doesn't work. The clockwork vibration works on mine, and adds an interesting element to the shave. Whether it actually helps is still an open question as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten decent shaves with it, but haven't really used it very often. It only runs between two or three minutes on one winding, getting progressively harder to rewind as the shave progresses, and your hands and the handle get slipperier. I end up holding it with a towel to rewind it.

Some people end up just putting the head on a regular handle, and have reported that it works well, but where's the fun in that? Personally, I wouldn't want one where the motor didn't work, unless I thought I could fix it, which isn't likely.

I like having one in the collection, but wouldn't put it among my must haves.

[​IMG]

6. lindyhopper66

I know what you are saying about ebay bidding. Even with the one click bids, you can't click fast enough to get it. I think some things get sold for outrageous prices because people love the sport of bidding in an auction. Like trying to win in the slots or a horse race. They get caught up in the game.

So I would highly recommend etsy. Items have a given price. You can contact the seller, as I have at times, and get an even better price. I have been able to find razors in good shape on etsy every time and not always on ebay.

7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

no need to shout. Turn the caps lock off, please.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Can you please turn your caps lock OFF!!! It makes it hard to read your post and is considered rude. Etsy is an online site where people sell things. It is like ebay except there is no bidding.

You can buy a Schick C Type in very good shape from the UK ebay site for $10-15. They usually get overlooked by the American collectors.

Stahley razors sold for about $25 new. They are one of the few razors that sell for close to their original price. Unless you fix pocket watches as a hobby, don't buy one that does not work. They are difficult to take apart, difficult to fix, and difficult to put back together.

(IAmTheJody Mod edited for civility)

9. lindyhopper66

It is a website where sellers have online stores to sell stuff. http://www.etsy.com. You type in what you are looking for and you get a list of similar items.

You do need to turn off the capitals. It's hard to read.

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Just thought I'd quote you and help emphasize the part which relates to netiquette ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's not a rule. It's just not being rude. That doesn't apply just to this forum, it applies to texting, forums, letter writing, anything written online. :)

(IAmTheJody Mod edited for civility)

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thank you.
    It's not a matter of rules, though. It's etiquette. Just about anywhere on the internet you could go people are going to ask you not to type in all caps.

Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:
    We're a friendly bunch when we aren't getting yelled at. :)

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It happens sometimes. Anyway welcome to the Shave Den!

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

No worries. Now you know. Welcome to The Shave Den. :eatdrink047:

To everyone else, please remember that TSD prides itself on being an inviting, welcoming and friendly forum. There are many reasons why people use caps and it would be best to send them a friendly PM request - with explanation, if you must - rather than a thread turning into... this. :ashamed001:

burnout961 likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

I have a Stahly. No case, but it works. $15 at an antique mall. Wouldn't pay more than that.
    I'm with Slivovitz - decent razor, nothing to write home about.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

eBay prices really vary on this razor. I have one, and have used it about a doz times over the yrs. ok shave, with or without the vibration. Agree that if it doesn't vibrate I wouldn't buy it. There are alot of them for sale so i'd wait for a price under $20 including shipping. Must make sure you ask if it vibrates.

18. Rob72

Rob72 Member

It depends. Look over this, if you haven't already:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/stahly-information.26960/ If the winding knob turns freely and does not engage, its not worth buying. If it turns, but springs back, it may be repairable, fairly easily.

Lastly, tho' the most commonly seen versions have zinc heads, there are at least 2 body types that came with cast-brass heads- the black and gold is one of them(but, as with much relating to Stahly, it depends...). The head is really very good on its own, but the whole razor is a hoot. Overall, I rate it with my more aggressive shavers.

Prices vary, obviously, but I would say the $30-40 range is most likely the bottom dollar, unless you find one in the corner of a junk store.