Do you guys consider wet shaving to be a hobby?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Galactus, Jun 5, 2012.

1. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I agree PLANofMAN is right on the money, the most I've paid (so far) for a razor was $16 US for a Gem Micromatic in the travel case. The rest of my razors were from $1 to $5, also most of my soaps and creams I got when Hanzo had a den clearout not long after I joined the Den (Thanks Hanzo, I've really been enjoying the goodies) the selection I got from him allowed me to try a variety I couldn't have otherwise. Of course since you in the U.K. the shipping might be prohibitive. But anyway yeah shaving is an art, the collecting is a hobby and it can be as expensive or as inespensive as you choose. The best advice I can give you is don't over think it, just enjoy it.

Enablers? Here? Surely you're mistaken, the mods would never allow such thing....would they?:happy097:

2. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I'd say yes. It's not a hobby like building model cars or collecting baseball cards but it is something I have a lot of interest in and I really like learn new things related to shaving. I like checking the forums all the time and finding new stuff. I think if it wasn't a hobby for me I'd have one razor, brush, soap, and AS. Now I don't consider myself a collector or anything but I definitely love finding goodies and my den is growing quite a bit. I've actually considered attempting to make my own artisan shave soaps.

burnout961 likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I don't consider wet shaving itself a hobby. The hobby comes from collecting, IMHO.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

No it's not a hobby (in my opinion) unless you want it to be (which I kinda have lol) you need to have a look at the cheap week theme we had here a few months back if your on a budget the where some really good shave options, like Palmolive shave sticks at 49p in most uk towns!!!!

5. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

Not a hobby. Just something I do now...

6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I would have to agree with the general consensus, that the practice of the shave is an art (IMO) and for me personally, a necessity as it is the only way for me to avoid nasty razor burn and ingrowns. The collecting and teying new sops...etc is the blhobby. I should have been more clear in my first post. And as stated above, when it comes to buying the hardware...for me it is a matter of getting the odd lucky score on eBay or in an antique store.

burnout961 and crackstar like this.
  7. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Not just a hobby - it is truly a way of life Grasshopper.

crackstar likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There are three types of people on this forum. Those who come to Learn, Those who Teach, and Those who live in the Jokes Section.

I think swarden43 summed it up best. In fact I liked it so much I added it to my signature.

burnout961 and Smott like this.
  9. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Its a hobby for me. Starting the collections of blades, razors, cremes, soaps and brushes are just an outshoot of my wonderful wet shaving hobby and in most cases a hobby unto themselves! I find this hobby also keeps me engaged with these forums. I work night shift so I am up and can't wait to jump on the forum to check out all the pics, info and interaction with everyone else. This forum has a great bunch of folks

crackstar likes this.
  10. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! More of a routine with a hint of hobby. Routine in that I choose to wet shave same as they did a 100 years ago. A hobby in the fact that I have collected lots of items for my "routine"! Always, Gene

11. Rob72

Rob72 Member

I believe you call them, "boot sales", in the UK?;) Some of the fellows at TheShavingRoom.com could hook you up with local sources, and some products that we don't have in the States (or products that were reformulated for the EU- Scrubbing Bubbles are the best example).

I love single-edges, and there seems to be a comparative wealth of Wilkinson Empire sets, in various configurations, in the UK (for obvious reasons). Most(barring the 7 day sets) will accept a modern SE blade. You will probably also see a wider variety of other lesser/unknown European makers. French razors are neat, in that there doesn't seem to be any particular repository of information on the who/when/how/models made, and they are comparatively cheap.

I would suspect that a couple of days traveling, stopping at various "junk shops" could yield some astounding finds.

Most of my European finds(ebay.uk and fr) ran 15-20E, with about half of that shipping.

Once you try 3 or so different razors, you'll have a feel for whether you like "mild", "aggressive", SE or DE, adjustable, a particular head angle or slope, handle length, etc., and from there (if you decide to) you may find a pricier "collectors' piece", that you'd like to have- but you certainly don't "have to".

burnout961 likes this.
  12. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I don't consider it a hobby for myself. I have one razor, I'm still trying to find the perfect blade but am using what I have, and have a total of 4 soaps/creams. I look at it like eating. I do it every day, so why not try and enjoy it. I'm certainly no foodie, but I like stuff that tastes good.

I can see how people have made it into a hobby and this isn't a judgement on them by any means.

13. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Collecting razors has certainly turned into a hobby, even if I never buy another one. It's not just getting my own, it's learning about all the different designs that people have come up with. It's amazing how much ingenuity has gone into this. I even have to respect the thought behind electrics or multi-bladed cartridges, although I choose the classic safeties.

I was going to agree with the comments that shaving itself is not a hobby, but perhaps it's on the edge of being one. When you put a lot of thought and experimentation into finding the method of lathering that works best for you, continually cycle through a big "rotation" of soaps, or get interested in trying a new wonder blade instead of the perfectly good ones you have been using, it's more than just a routine everyday task.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me it started off as not a hobby because since the age of 14, I've always shaved every day. Except for a week with canned junk, I've always been a traditional wetshaver, but since around 7 years, it has become a hobby which I love and look forward to each morning. Perhaps that partly explains my huge collection of creams, soaps, etc.

15. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I think my empire is the only one that doesn't accept SE blades....DOH!! It is a real beauty though!

16. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

For me, the hobby is the shaving community. I like browsing these forums and also watching vids on youtube. I'm not into collecting products yet as I'm still finding my feet as far as the actual shaving goes.

17. Joga

Joga New Member

As others have said, I saw shaving as a chore and routine. Coming to this forum and learning more wet shaving has made it more enjoyable. I shave once every 2-3 days, so I might as well enjoy it!

PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  18. crackstar

My wife at the beginning thought that I was crazy as hell when I began this hobby, but now she has cheerfully accepted it. Especially, when I bring her a perfume if I buy a fragrance for myself, or an aftershave! ;)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

My hobby is trying to appear normal.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. crackstar

If I don't shave every morning, I don't feel normal! :D