**MYSTERY SOLVED!** Unknown, unseen Gillette injector prototype

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

WOW....thats the strangest Gillette system I think I've ever seen.....Too cool for school....I believe that should rate as museum quality...:)
    Thats also one of the only pieces where I can see why you wouldn't want to shave with it....Just toooo rare....I suppose in this case it could be the only one...and also what if it changed your life and you fell in love with the shave.....no more blades....Nah, that would be tempting fate to the fatalistic point....;)

Congrats man....you deserve it....something like this needs to be trusted to a Gillette-i.....with regular shavers like myself, this could end up with blood in the sink..:happy097:

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I don't know if it's a good idea for a blade system, but it's a clever and original one.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Just a quick update... I've finally talked to someone with Proctor & Gamble's archives (for those that don't know, P&G owns Gillette since 2005) and they are now on the case of this mysterious Gillette Contra. He's getting up with a lady who handles the Gillette end of history and archives at the South Boston plant and who was a long-time Gillette employee before P&G bought Gillette (now a P&G employee obviously).

So hopefully soon, I'll have some concrete information on this unique find! :happy093:

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's interesting that you're getting some attention about this query from the mighty P&G...

5. IAmTheJody

Well, that's what they have an archive department and company historians on the payroll, for. I just didn't know how to get in contact with those people without having to fight my way through Gillette's 1-800 customer service number, listening to recordings about their latest and greatest 62-blade cartridge razor and crossing my fingers when I finally got a general customer service rep on the phone that he or she would know where to direct me in talking to someone that actually dealt with company history. I knew they had a historian holed up in some dark closet somewhere in the basement at the South Boston plant surrounded by wall-to-wall razors from 1903 to the present. Even he told me they have boxes full of all kinds of prototypes in their archive department. I just didn't have a clue how to contact that person. :happy097:

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

More importantly, how do we get a tour?! :)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Gillette must have an actual razor museum of sorts hanging around somewhere..no...

8. richgem

No clue. A friend's son did a Summer internship at Gillette Boston a couple years ago and he seemed mystified that the ever sold anything previous to the M3. :(

9. Slipperyjoe

Well..I guess it's up to Jody to set one up..;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

I've never been there but I'm sure they have some sort of display, at least in the lobby. Jake lives there I think. We should send him on a photo mission.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

:signs011:

12. richgem

Maybe he'll just invite us all over? :D

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

You know what they say..great minds think alike.. :)

richgem likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Maybe he'll even get in a couple of cute tour guides and some snacks to boot...

15. richgem

That may be too much to hope for. :D

16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Jody, it is so incredible the things you find related to wet shaving. Awesome article and pictures too.

Jody, I always look forward to when share your collection, thank you.

richgem and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Amazing find! Again! You certainly have a knack for finding -and obtaining- the odd piece.
    Thanx for showing!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. IAmTheJody

An update...

This only came with 2 blades - 1 already injected into the head and 1 in the dispenser key.

I was finally able to get the blade out of the razor. It's actually not a single blade but is in fact 2 mini blades glued, with their cutting edge facing each other, to a thin plastic frame. This blade had been used as their was soap scum and a but of rust on it.

Once I had it out, I took pictures of it to show the unique design. I also partially ejected the blade in the dispenser key so that I could take pictures of it like that as well. Then I pushed it back into the dispenser key.

So. Check out this blade(s)...

1967GilletteContraInjector46.jpg

1967GilletteContraInjector47.jpg 1967GilletteContraInjector48.jpg

1967GilletteContraInjector53.jpg

1967GilletteContraInjector49.jpg 1967GilletteContraInjector50.jpg 1967GilletteContraInjector51.jpg 1967GilletteContraInjector52.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. Slipperyjoe

Interesting!..seems an unusual blade...

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

WOW.....just WOW.....It will be interesting to see what the Gillette Historian comes up with....;)
    Maybe that guy should pay Jody a visit to see this beast in it's natural environment, 'In the Wild' so to speak...:happy097:

GDCarrington likes this.