Recommend me a soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Matt F, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I'm considering giving DE shaving another try (tried 2 years ago when I was 19). The main thing stopping me is the soap/creams - I'm wary of what I put on my face as my skin is acne-prone, although it's pretty clear right now (using sensor).

I'm looking for a soap for sensitive skin i.e. no scent, no added ingredients for moisturising etc etc.

Bear in mind I like in the UK. :) Edwin Jagger's got some products on Amazon which look pretty good (natural shave soap with aloe vera, sandalwood or sea buckthorn). I have some Mitchell's Wool fat soap which a few people recommend.

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I know that the TOBS Jermyn Steet is for sensitive skin and I love the smell of it. It should be easy for you to get there in the UK.

Matt F likes this.
  3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

+1 for the EJ Sea Buckthorn ... LOVE that soap.

Have you tried Klar Kabinett? It is a nice, mild soap.

4. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Only tried 2 shave creams when I DE shaved: one was a Liz Earl one and the other was Taylor of Old Bond street sensitive.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    After my recent experience, I would wholeheartedly recommend the The Shave Den (TSD) unscented wheat shave cream. If JoAnna's soaps are half as good I'd recommend those as well. (I haven't tried the soaps yet). She ships across the pond. If you only got one or two the shipping would probably be in the (US currency) $12-15 range.

6. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

TOBS avocado is nice it has a very light scent more like cucumber. It doesn't say for sensitive skin, but my face has cleared up using it exclusively the last month.

7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

MWF is a good soap but it can go either way for you. I have sensitive skin (most things burn) and Mitchell's is great! But my brother, who also has a sensitive face, cant use it due to the lanolin. That being said...give it a try anyway. The EJ/Muhle shave creams are great! I didn't have much luck with the soap though.

For products available in the UK, that's about it I think...maybe Vitos (almond...the non coconut one) will work well also.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find something that works for you!

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I would go with any of the following:

Mitchells Wool Fat
    Proraso White (Old/New doesn't matter, they're both for sensitive skin)
    Palmolive (Either Classic or the Stick)
    TOBS Jermyn Street
    TSD Wheat
    Gillette Sensitive Skin Cream (Green Tube stuff, however it's now discontinued so may be hard to find)

Vitos I'm not sure how well it would work, perhaps the green would be best, the red would probably cause irritation cause there's quite a bit of fragrance in it.

9. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Yeah I was looking at the TSD soap..might try that first.

Edit: The trouble is that the TSD soap requires 10 days for the order so I think I'm going to try one of the products on Amazon. Options are:

Palmolive
    Ingram
    Edwin Jagger
    Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad

10. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I love Klar Kabinett! Also a second good choice is colonel conk I enjoy it and a good lather. I tried some TSD soaps but could not get a good lather.

11. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Can't decide whether to buy one from Amazon or use the MWF that I have already (scared to open it!). :confused:

12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

yeah Palmolive shave stick is a great product, my skin can be sensitive at times at the palmolive has be great, Its 49p in either Tesco or Wilkinsons

I have the wool fat (that really makes your face feel good afterwards top product)

13. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I would try what you already have. MWF is a great soap as long as you aren't sensitive to the lanolin. The only way you'll know is to try it out. You could try putting some MWF lather on your elbow or knee to see if you have a reaction before trying it on your face.

Matt F likes this.
  14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'd go with this. There doesn't seem to be many that react to MWF and if it works out fine for you, then you have a fantastic soap as your number 1 option.

Matt F likes this.
  15. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Thanks for your help. I'm going to take tomorrow off from shaving and will then try MWF on Sat. Gonna put a bit on my elbow tonight like you said and see what happens! :)

SharpSpine likes this.
  16. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Allow me one more suggestion please. When making your lather with MWF, work hard to create zero air bubbles. I've found that the biggest problem people have with The Fat is they over-aerate or over-hydrate too quickly. Start with a damp, but not soaked brush and load on the puck until you get a very nice paste. Then build your lather by adding water a little at a time. I'm a face latherer and this doesn't take very long. When I used to bowl lather it seemed to take forever until I learned the right amount of water to start with in the brush. But the time is worth it. A properly built MWF lather is great; while a poor one will lead to a hamburger neck wether or not you have a lanolin sensitivity.

Matt F likes this.
  17. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Yes, I remember one guy on Amazon describing MWF as a 'pig' to lather. The whole Lanolin thing is freaking me out a bit because there are so many different opinions on it; some people say to avoid it like the plague if you're acne prone! :scared007:

18. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

No need to get freaked out. Mantic59 has a video on lathering MWF the could help.

Give the MWF a try for a few days and see what you think.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But the TSD soaps are oh-soooooo worth the wait!

20. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Gotta get em shipped to UK as well which will take agessss. Gonna have a beard by the time it gets here! :shaver