Blade Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael J. Spangler, Jun 3, 2012.

1. hey guys!

so i've gone through my mix pack of blades and know what i like and what i don't

(this is the pack i bought http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/professional-de-blade-sampler-pack-102-blades)

i didn't like the feathers as much at the start but then i learned to LOVE them. i liked all of the personna's. the lord and supermax seemed ok. other than that i didn't have much luck with the rest. i also tried some awl mart wilkinson swords and some merkurs. the mercers were ok and the wilkies sucked!

so if i'm steering towards the sharper blades does anyone have suggestions on what i should try next? i plan on ordering a pack of feathers, but i figured there were other blades similar. what about KAI?

the feathers don't last long though. i don't mind though. i would rather have one awesome shave from a blade than 7 ok shaves.

thanks for the advice guys!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

How about some Gillette 7 o'clock (Russian) blades? They're sharp and smooth. Bolzano are also similar to feather, but have a little longer life span while shaving.

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Like Justin said, the Gillettes are pretty good. The yellows are by far the sharpest (IMO). I have some of each and could spot you a few of each if you like.

Bolzano and Voskhod ( I hope I spelled those right) are also good choices. I believe they may be considered as sharper blades. (Others would be able to confirm as neither worked for me)

4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

*cough* polsilvers *cough*

Bluesbishop, blanka and Azarius like this.
  5. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

I think blades are one of the most variable parts of the saving equation. Half or more of the blades in your sample pack I consider to be some of my top choices.
    Anyway, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (black package) are supposed to be very sharp.

Bluesbishop and blanka like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just curious, what razor were you using for testing all these?

7. merkur futur set to 3.5

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you're looking for consistent quality control in the sharpest DE blade, it's either Feather or Kai - both made in Japan, both generally the most expensive. Bolzano used to be considered in the same league when they were made at their original home factory in Italy. When they outsourced production to a company in Germany, the quality dropped dramatically.

Of course, sharpest doesn't = smoothest. For example, I like Feather in that the blade does it's job of mowing down the whiskers but I get a good bit of razor burn as well with them. This means not only are they sharp, they are too sharp and taking off thin layers of skin. This may not be an issue for the next man if they have tougher skin. On the other hand, Voskhod blades are cheap and give me just as good a shave as a Feather does, but without any razor burn or irritation. And Voskhod can be had for half - and sometimes even less - than what the so called "best, sharpest" blades on the market run. I can get 100 Feather for $27.00 (eBay) and 100 Voskhod for $12.00 (TSD store). Another brand I've found that seem to be 50/50 split in terms of people liking them is the BIC double edge blades. For me, they are a great blade giving very close shaves without any razor burn or irritation. Other people say they aren't sharp enough.

YMMV, as usual.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shark is another brand to consider. I like Feathers too & Shark is the only other one that I liked anywhere near as much.

10. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

My favorite would be the Voskhods or Gillette 7 0' clock yellows. I also thing the razor dictates the blade though. I use both in a slim and super speed but a krona I do enjoy a feather and the only time i will use a feather is in my krona.

Bluesbishop likes this.
  11. ok i'm going to order some bic, some gilette 7oclock yellows, shark, kai, feather black, feather yellow, and i'll have to wait on the voskhod, until i place an order here.

i'm using the blades in my merkur futur but the way.

thanks guys!

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Based on what you seem to like, you might also like Voskhod, Rapira (Swedish Steel or LUX) and 7Oclock Blues. On the Supermax, I prefer the Super Stainless over the Platinum.

13. sweet i'll check those out too.. i have the super platinum superman right now. nice blades.

just finished up with a personna red. great shave. those are nice blades. i find the feathers fly through the hair a little easier though

14. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Kai & Feather are too sharp for me. I'm a huge fan of Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (Russia) & Black (India). Polsilvers & Iridiums are wonderful too, albeit harder to find. Voskhods make for great daily shavers.

15. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

If we're talking about sharp blades I'm surprised nobody as mentioned Astra's. Personally, the Blue Personna's are my blade of choice. I'm similar to you in that I found several blades in my sampler that I liked, and I leaned toward sharp blades but I refuse to use blades that I can't get a sweet deal on. For me, they have to shave great, and be available in 100 packs so I can nab a great price. Astra, Personna, and Shark all fit that bill.

NoobShaver likes this.
  16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

In my experience, Personna "lab" blue blades are up there in terms of sharpness and they really last. They might not be Feather sharp, but they're on that end of the spectrum from what I remember. I can get 5+ shaves from one Personna blue blade. Note: I believe they're the exact same as the med. prep. blades but haven't been through an additional sterilization.

My other go-to blade is the Astra SP. Sharp, good quality, and cost efficient.

17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Ouch I just noticed this - hope you didn't order the Feather Yellow and Black with the expectation they'd be different. They're identical blades, just different packaging (Black - 5 blades, Yellow - 10 blades) If you did, at least you'll end up with more Feathers!

18. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Yellows are sharp...but in some razors ( such as in my R41) I find them harsh....the yellows are made at the PPI factory in Russia, the Blacks are from India.

My favorite blades are Gillette Blacks, Super Iridiums, Gillette Blue (Czech....the Russians are ok too) Israeli Personna Reds, Supermax Super Platimum

19. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

bic chrome are sharp and smooth

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The blue & white wrapped Personnas in your kit I believe are commonly called Crystals, which I find are mild but outstanding performers in more aggressive razors such as my Gillette New, or adjustable razors like a Slim or FatBoy cranked up. They are available in bulk at low prices too.