What has been your biggest disapointment in a razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by alpla444, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

At least though the 1912 variants usually only sit back a person $10 or so, with Streamlines selling in the $100-$175 range, it was a costly disappointment ;)

I should have listen to my brother and bought the Joris.

alpla444 likes this.
  2. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

YMMV. After the Pils, the Joris was probably my next biggest disappointment. But I LOVE my Streamline!

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the ball end Tech. First off the razor is too light, not emough heft, and the the thin handle is hard for me to grip properly and also hard to control. I get ok shaves from the Tech, but I have to work too hard to get only mediocre results.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. Blobster

Blobster Member

This is very true. It's the only razor I basically put a no holds barred bid on. Thankfully before the most recent price hike but it still, about a year ago, cost me $60 odd. On the other hand the four 1912 variants I've got together probably cost the same, but no real joy with any of them.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

im disappointed in myself
    i cant figure out how to get a comfortable shave outta my muhle r41

alpla444 and newb like this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Zero pressure and watch your angle. It took me about two weeks to get the comfortable part down. I was getting BBS soon after I got it but it took a while to get comfort.

alpla444 and VANCE723 like this.
  7. newb

newb Resident Newb

Me too.....

alpla444 likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gents, do not be so hard on yourselves.

The most important instrument in shaving is your skin. Your skin is the king. Everything else serves it, razors, brushes, lather and technique.
    Technique can carry one very far, but it cannot overcome all skin issues. I have not gotten the R41 for myself, since the NEW in many ways shows me the limits of what my skin will tolerate even with the smoothest blades.

9. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

1986 Gillette Super Adjustable. I found my birth year razor in the wild and I don't even like it. Plastic underside of the head, handle heavy, 3 is too mild and 4 is too aggressive. But it looks good and I like being able to say I have a razor from the year I was born in. I still use it, it's just very seldom.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

they still made those in 86?

alpla444 likes this.
  11. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Yea it was one of the last years. They had a plastic bottom half of the head. Supposedly they don't last over the years and it cracks. Mine is hardly used and looked almost new when I first found it, so at least it shouldn't break anytime soon.

GDCarrington and alpla444 like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, I have one as well and it is the next to last year of production. The lower base plate is plastic rather than metal on those units.

alpla444 likes this.
  13. newb

newb Resident Newb

The mid 80's Gillette d/e's are pretty hard to find. It took me 2 years to find a black waffle handle 85 super speed. That 86 may be pretty rare. The shave might not be the best , but enjoy the rarity.

JimPo42 and alpla444 like this.
  14. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

+1 was gonna write it but you beat me to it.

alpla444 likes this.
  15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

There have been a number that didn't work too well for me, but since I wasn't sure what to expect, I can't really call them disappointments.

One that I did have high expectations for was my Kampfe Star One lather catcher. It's a 1902 design which can take either a wedge blade (which I don't have) or a disposable SE blade. Just haven't been able to get a comfortable shave with it, so I guess it's my biggest disappointment.

On the other hand, my Kampfe SCS from around 1913, which was designed for disposable blades only, has become one of my favorites.

alpla444 likes this.
  16. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me it is the 1912s. Just cannot get a good shave from them.

alpla444 and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

Initially: "Oh boy, I got me a Sheraton!"
    After giving it a good series of tries: "Meh."

NoobShaver and alpla444 like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I never got the TTO open comb. It was on my wish list for years (I like OC razors), until I found out it was an extremely mild shaver. When you hear it from one person, you take it with a grain of salt. When you hear it from more than five, with no dissenting opinions, you have to accept the cold hard truth. As someone who regularly uses and enjoys a red tip, I passed on the Sheraton. It's a beautiful razor though.

alpla444 likes this.
  19. deaficianado

deaficianado New Member

My biggest disappointments were the Feather ASD1 and the Ikon OCC. Both razors are too mild. I like the way it looks and the weight of the handle though.

alpla444 likes this.
  20. deaficianado

deaficianado New Member

I disagree. I have a 1934 Aristocrat TTO OC (a few :)) and it is in my opinion, the most aggressive Gillette ever made.

alpla444 likes this.