Shaving brush alternative ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by KLF, Jun 18, 2012.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Simple question : What can be used as a shaving brush alternative with good results ? I have a friends who wants to try using shaving cream instead of gel but he doesn't have a shaving brush.

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Any Brush shoud be able to create a lather, the question is how soft would any brush be on the face and how much lather would it retain? a brush can be found cheap in most supermarkets if someone just wants to try shaving with a brush, but Im sure you know a branded boar is not that expensive and would last for many years.

Hanzo likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Without the brush you won't get any lather.
    There are several brushless creams out there, but I have yet to find one I like.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hand lathering. Just like washing your hands but you don't wash the lather off, it goes on your face. Then just keep a supply on your left hand and shave with your other.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Rasoline Molinard is the best brushless cream I've used or just do what johnus recommends with regular cream. It will get you by.

6. kaiser

kaiser Member

7. Blobster

Blobster Member

I've had successful shaves using an ordinary bar of hand soap and no brush. Wouldn't want to do it too often as it does dry your skin out but provided your face is properly hydrated during the shave it works very well. If your friend isn't going to use a brush there's hardly any point in trying a cream in my opinion. The whole point of a shaving cream is to get a lather up which is pretty hard without a brush. A cheap brush really doesn't cost much. Yes, they're pretty nasty to start with but if it's a boar it does get better with use.

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If it's a cream, it can be lathered up just as good with the hands, right on the face.

9. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! There are brushes available that will suit anyone's budget. I prefer using a brush as opposed to hand lathering. I have several brushless creams that I still use with a brush a few drops of glycerin. Experiment and see what works for you. Always, Gene

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You can always use a large cosmetic/powder brush. Not ideal,but it definitely works in the short term.

11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Well in conclusion, there is no alternative to brush. I gave my friend one of my brushes until he decides to buy one on his own. Thank you all for your replies.

PLANofMAN likes this.