Odd discovery re: adjustable and a carbon blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gentlemen,

Today I broke out the first of my "new" Blade Man carbons ('40s-'50s era, not sure). Just for fun, using the same blade I did half my face with the Ranger Tech and the other with my Super Adjustable.

Ranger: Three pass BBS. Minimal pulling. Good, comfortable blade (still, no match comfort-wise to a Silver Star but then no carbon I've used is).

Super Adjustable: Loaded the same blade and started out on 1. Whoo boy, ROUGH. Pulled like a tow truck. It was taking off some whiskers but not cleanly and not well. Couldn't finish the first pass. Went to 2. Still rough. Shifted into 3 and now it was just as smooth as the Ranger had been. Finished up with results equal to the Ranger's. BBS all around.

Question: Why would a blade feel intolerably rough on a 1-2 and smooth out perfectly at 3? Did it really need that much more exposure to work? Other blades work for me on 1, but then, they're stainless. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Rob72

Rob72 Member

At 1-2, you barely have exposure, and only with the fine edge at the end of the bevel. At 3+, you have more blade bevel out there, so you actually have a "cutting edge", not just tip of the blade, so to speak. Basically the difference between cutting grass with your mower blade, versus using a weed wacker- the cutting is smoother with the sloped bevel, less so with even the finest wacker-wire. There may also be a fractional millimetric difference in blade widths, also, which would increase the difference as well.

Slipperyjoe and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Makes sense. Thanks!

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Seems logical...