I like the R41 and the Tabac ain't bad either

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tomnat, Jun 18, 2012.

1. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I made the decision, after drinking the rest of the kool-aid, that I was going to purchase the 2011 Muhle R41. I didn't really need a new razor, but then again, who does? I ordered the razor, along with a Tabac replacement soap and Tabac aftershave, on the first of June from Connaught. Five days later on the 6th I received an email stating that it had shipped. Eight days from that on the 14th, this little beauty was sitting on my desk at work while I was snapping up photos of it at different angles and getting them ready to post in "the haul". Due to unforeseen circumstances, which for the life of me I can't remember, I didn't get a chance to use it, or any shaving item for that matter, until Saturday afternoon. When I did finally take the R41 on it's maiden voyage around my face, I had three days growth, which is the most beard growth I've had in over a year. I took a hot shower and went through my normal prep routine making sure to clean my face well and soften up my beard as much as possible. I was not only going to be using the R41 for the first time, but also Tabac; both the soap and the aftershave. I easily whipped up a rich and creamy lather with my AOS Best Badger brush and proceeded to apply the fantastic smelling Tabac to my face. Once lathered, I put a 7 o'clock blue (free gift from Connaught) in the R41 and marveled at it's excellent craftsmanship and shiny newness. I have to admit that after all the hype I was a little nervous for my first stroke with this already legendary beast. After that first stroke and subsequent full pass, however, I felt that that was all it was; hype. Sure it's aggressive and if you are not careful it will rip your face off, but I employed the same tactics and technique I use with my OCMM and I had it comfortably gliding around my face treating whiskers like they were blades of grass at a lawnmower convention. They didn't stand a chance. I know we all throw out the word aggressive when describing this razor, among others, and there is not doubt that multiple factors contribute to that label, but, as I've heard it described before by some of you, I think a better word for it is, efficient. I could have definitely gotten away with just one pass with this razor and not just barely either, it was a bona fide DFS. With all the hoopla and gleefulness about the razor I almost forgot about the Tabac. This was my first time using this product line and I have to say.....................I am in love! I really enjoyed using the wonderfuly easy to lather soap and the excellently matched aftershave. I love this stuff. Great lather, great scent; I can't say enough good things about it. This is one soap that I will buy again without a second thought. As for the 2011 Muhle R41, I now see why so many users constantly say that this is the razor they go to most often, if not every time. I suddenly feel bad for my other razors because I see their usage time dwindling faster than Barry Bonds physique after quitting "vitamins" and I can do nothing to stop it.

2. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

congrats
    it stories like yours that keeps leading me to "re-visit" my r41 every so often...instead of just selling it

tomnat likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good story Tom. I never tried the 41 but I've got some Gillette open combs. From what you've said the oc's seem at least in the ballpark of the 41..probably needing a very similar technique and touch...

tomnat likes this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice one Tom, It does look great so shiny. tabac does smell great (well I think so) Ive only used the cream and I really need to buy the soap and many other things as well as use what I have, it never ends. The after shave can be bought here on the high street, but shave related in the range is online only really.
    Glad it work out well for you. Great story:)

tomnat likes this.
  5. tomnat

Give it another go!. I thought I had this whole shaving thing down, with regards to no pressure. Somebody here in the forums was talking about watching a video of a guy shaving with the OCMM. I watched it and did what he did with mine and found out that I wasn't using "no pressure". When I employed his technique, I ended up with the best shave I ever had from the OCMM. Once I got the R-41, I did the same thing and it worked for me.
    Aside from the new R-41, my only open comb is the OCMM and I think you are right about having similar techniques. Case in point; exactly what I wrote to Phillip above.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

Tabac is awesome. But don't over look Cella, MWF, Arko , Palmolive and Vintage OS. All are in the same league. IMHO. Want to make them better ? Just a few drops of glycerin and all are to die for.
    IMHO I do not think any razor is in the same league as an R41. The Gem OCMM and Barbasol floating head may be close. But the R41 is in a league all of it's own... Just my 2 cents.

battle.munky and tomnat like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool score! Enjoy!!
    (another Tabac lover, here)

tomnat likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

and
    :signs011:

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the 2011 R 41, I have the heavier head Grande which I absolutely love, yes it is aggressive and you have to give it your full attention whilst using, but the rewards are amazing, I tend to use mine if I haven't shaved for a few days and have longer beard growth!!!!

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I believe the head is the same with the Grande and the 2011 R-41. It is the handle on the Grande that makes it the Grande.

11. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Ahh didn't know that, I thought it was the head, still an awesome razor!!!!

12. tomnat

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. When I bought it I had the choice of the regular handle or the Grande. I went with the regular, primarily because of cost.