Shaving a few days growth

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Matt F, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I shaved about 5 days growth during my first de shave a couple of weeks ago and there was a lot of drag/pull (probably due to bad technique as well as the hair length). Do you guys find the same when you've not shaved for a while? Should I have taken more care in the prep?

Edit: Oh and I should mention that my facial hair isn't dense at all.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My guess is that your prep was off and the hairs weren't hydrated enough. I find some of my best (smoothest, closest) shaves are after I've skipped a day or two. 5-day's growth, however... you might need some clippering before actual shaving depending on your beard.

newb, gorgo2 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:signs011: clippering?..is that in the dictionary?..

Falcon43 likes this.
  4. richgem

Yes, "that" is in the dictionary. :p

5. richgem

Clipperizing??

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Your right it is! Geez you must be a wiz at scrabble and the crossword..:think002:

7. richgem

:innocent

:D

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I agree
    Me too.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Clipperation

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Why are you conversating about clipperization?

A nice OC razor (or a straight) has no problem removing Sasquatch growth.

A safety bar can get clogged up and take a little more attention, but is still doable without clipperization.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Seconded. I mean Thirdeded.

12. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Fourtheded? Either way +1

13. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

Having shaved many a man I have to agree... giving a hot towel shave on 5+ days growth can be very tricky if the man has thick, coarse hair. Often (but not always) if he has 5+ days on him a clipping may indeed be necessary for comforts sake!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I find anything beyond 2 days growth and an SE is needed. The hair is just too long and dense for my DEs to go through (unless its an open comb). So it may have been your prep and technique, but the growth would have definitely been a factor!

15. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

When I grew a 'beard' my Dad said I looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo..so yeah my hair is sparse.

[​IMG]

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Spot On....Open Combs rock on longer hair....My Senator laughs at several days growth....My Schick can handle several days growth without a tug...and my Senator can do a BBS armpit shave after many months; in one pass....

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

if i didnt shave for 5 days my boss would have a stroke.....i can get by 3 days & then all i do is put in a new blade

18. raag

raag Member

Maybe a different blade would suit you better?

19. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

hmm i did my first de shave 2 nights ago after not shaving for a week (i have thick and coarse hair) and i was able to shave without much drag/pull. Did u watch mantics vids as it helped me alot. Also i just did what he showed in the video doing short strokes and kept my wrist as straight as possible...

20. pitrow

pitrow New Member

I often go a week or more without shaving and have no issues at all with pull. I use an OC Gillette and usually shave right after a hot shower to help moisturize my beard and it's so, so, SO much nicer with the DE than it was with my Mach 5 I used previously. It doesn't clog, doesn't pull, just works great. Last night I shaved for the first time in about a week and a half (was on vacation), and I didn't shower before hand, and it was a little more "pulley" than usual but nothing like it would have been with the Mach 5. Oh, and I have a fast growing, dense beard. My wife likes to say I have 5 o'clock shadow by noon.

I'm certainly no expert, but I would say spend a little more time on prepping your beard before you shave it, if it's long, and you should be fine. Oh, one thing to note though, even with the OC I'm still having to rinse it out quite frequently. I get about two good strokes per side before I have to rinse, so maybe that's could be an issue too.