Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream - a new concept!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by crackstar, Jun 15, 2012.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

PRO009-Proraso-Sandalwood-shaving-cream.jpg I'm sure that the majority of traditional wetshavers have tried, or at least heard of Proraso cream or soap. For most of us, Proraso brings to mind a strongly-scented eucalyptus and menthol shaving item with great lather and good beard-softening features. WELL, guess what - recently Ludovico Martelli, the manufacturer of Proraso released a brand-new version with a lovely sandalwood scent that has the same great lather and awesome skincare, and is made without even a drop of menthol or eucalyptus so there isn't even the slightest hint of a cooling sensation. Let me tell you beautiful people about it!

Ease of lathering: 10/10-- A little cream on a wet brush, and BINGO! Rich lather.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Purrrrrrrrrr-fect! Stable, stable, stable!

General skincare: 9/10--Moisturizing and very soothing. Great post-shave feeling.

Scent: 9/10--Brilliant. Classy and elegant. Sandalwood in a deep way.

Price: 8/10--Fendrihan's sells it for 9,95$ CAD. Reasonable, yes?

Would I buy again: 10/10--Absolutely. It is a wonderful cream.

For anyone with a tough beard and sensitive skin like myself, this cream is a dream come true. Although I am a fanatic menthol lover, this cream is one which I would buy repeatedly even though it has none, because it is so nicely-scented, it lathers so well, (just a little cream is needed!) and it protects my skin against dryness and razor burn, and it has such a soothing and relaxing effect, not to mention the great blade glide! It's also readily available here in Canada. :)

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Nice review. Thanks!

Can't wait to try this stuff out.

3. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I bought 2 tubes of both the new green and the red Proraso

Both are as expected awesome performing.

New green milder in scent but gives maybe even a better shave....
    Red is just earthy sandalwood done right. A little bit of sandalwood oil gives you a slight refreshing feel.

9.5/10 - both new Proraso products

4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Nice review Jeff. I've been using the new Green version for quite a while now and as with the older formula, it is one of my favorites. I decided to give the new Sandalwood formula a try and I am glad I did. It is not one of my top three or four creams. Just the right amount of Sandalwood and a fantastic shave.

5. crackstar

I have very sensitive skin as well as a very tough beard. I find that this new Proraso cream not only softens up my stubble very well, it also allows me to do an extra pass without any irritation, if necessary.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Proraso has a winner with this new formula. I love the toned down scent for the green and the new sandalwood is quite enjoyable. My absolute favourite - Proraso White, I was ECSTATIC that they left the scent, and increased the menthol slightly.

7. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Johnny I tried to get you to try this and you said NO, you were happy with the green. Hate to say I told you so BUT. I'm glad you tried it. Did you buy a tube or did you get a sample from somewhere.

8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I bought a tube from Phil.

9. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

I'm curious about the sandalwood....I am a huge sandalwood fan...but like a pretty heavy scent....my current favorite is AoS Sandalwood...which is very heavy in scent and a gorgeous cream to use. I've heard from several users the scent isn't all that great.....any other feed back?

My brother just received his TSD wheat cream in Sandalwood and said the scent is heavenly....I can't wait to order some myself!

10. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I love the AOS smell as well. But this is a light sandalwood scent. From what I have read it's a true sandalwood. I like this scent as well you should give it a shot.

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I use the AOS sandalwood, but I have not tried the TSD sandalwood scent so I can't compare the two. I do, however, love the scent of the AOS and I thought it came across pretty strong. Now, I'm certainly no stranger to TSD products and from experience with other scents I can only image that the sandalwood is outta sight as well. In fact, as soon as I use up the AOS I was planning on getting some of the TSD; although it may not be for a little while.

12. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

once i work through my EJ & AOS sandlewood ill give this a shot

LUCKILY MY WIFE LOVES THE SANDLEWOOD SOAP I USE IN THE SHOWER & HAS SANDLEWOOD POTPOURRI(SP?) IN THE HOUSE

13. wolf5150

wolf5150 New Member

crackstar,

have you used AOS Sandalwood? If so, how would you compare the two?

I am currently using AOS, and have no complaints, but I am always open to improvements.

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I can't compare cream to cream but I do have the AOS Sandalwood soap and TSD Sandalwood Wheat Cream. I don't have a refined sense of smell but to me they smell very, very similar. The AOS is a lot stronger. TSD is in the just right category for me. Both are very good. I haven't used the new Proraso.

15. crackstar

Yes I have, and I think it is very nicely-scented, with good lather. However, I find the skincare is a little bit behind. It sort of dries my skin.

16. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I'm still patiently waiting for The Italian Centre to carry this (Maybe they have it in Little Italy...sorry thinking out loud)...I should go check them out today... I am still trying to hack my way throught the soaps and creams I already have (other than proraso) so I can just keep the brands I want.

I am very excited to try this out. Proraso has been one of the best soaps and creams for me to use with my skin type. The only issue I have ia I can't decide of the bowl or tube is better...lol!

Edit...just an fyi: there is a big Italian presence in my city, the Italian Centre is a market where all products are from Italy, and Little Italy is an Italian neiborhood in the city...I have referenced these a few times, so I thought I would explain what they are. :)

17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Looking forward to trying this! I couldn't use the old formulation because it inflamed my skin. Just today tried the new Green version and it worked well - no inflammation - and I love the scent! Looking forward to giving this a whirl. Thanks for review Jeff! :)

lradke likes this.
  18. raag

raag Member

Thanks for the review :) Eager to try this.