Schick Krona.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Latherman87, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

What can anyone tell me about this razor? If im correct they were only produced from the 60s-70s.......I picked me up one at a flea market for 5 bucks yesterday ...dunno if I got a great deal or not but......didnt wanna pass it up because it was in near perfect condition besides a small crack on the twist tip......just shaved with it today and I must say it was a great shave....it may be one of my favs. And I found a gold twist to open single edge razor that I think was a GEM but not %100 on that...im thinking of going to pick it up tomorrow . Thoughts?

2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Can't speak about the Krona, but I saw one up here for $5 but it looked like it was a dog toy...so I passed it up. About the TTO GEM, depending on the price I would say get it. I only have one, the open comb micromatic (as seen below) and it is a fantastic razor! I will be getting the other two soon, but for now, I don't know anything about them.

uploadfromtaptalk1340682126971.jpg

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The Krona's on my to try list. I have the Gillette Knack which was produced in the late 60's and I believe it to be Gillette's answer to the Krona. If it's anything like the Knack and it probably is, then the krona's a great razor...

alpla444 likes this.
  4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

the Krona is a fantastic shaver, one of my top three favorites. Very under-rated and under-appreciated due to it's plastic handle, but it'll definitely grant you some very nice shaves.
    Be sure to try different blades in it (as you should with all razors) to find the best combo for you. Personally, anytime I need a near-perfect to perfect shave, I put a Feather blade in my Krona - haven't had a bad shave with that combo yet, in fact that's my go-to combo for special occasions (weddings, Christmas, etc).
    5 bucks is a good deal on it, especially in that condition, I got mine for $8 and $12, which seems to be fairly common range that I've seen.
    Congrats!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The Krona is my "oh no, I really abused my face - need to let it heal but still need to shave every day" razor. I find it about the same as a tech, but more comfortable. I agree that it is under-appreciated.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I also picked one up for cheep one up for cheap in the wild on a whim as I lean more to long handeled razors.
    passive agressive perfect for a slighty irritated face
    love the head shape easy to find the sweet sp0t.
    +1

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love my Gems, no matter the model.
    I only have one Krona - meh.
    And any razor you can get for $5, if it's not obviously abused, is a good experiment. You never know. You may just find that diamond in the rough.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I managed to get one last week as its been on my to buy/try list for a long time, I used mine with the trusty Astra SP blade, and got a very nice irritation free shave:) DFS infact for me its a keeper, yes its a milder shave than most of my razors, but when I get home from a 12 night shift and need to shave, I dont need to on the ball to get a good shave.
    I paid $10 with case and worth every penny.

9. Latherman87

I agree with you guys ablout all the good things abot the krona........the GEM I found that I may get is a gold TTO SE.....the finish is not perfect by any means its been through the ringer but the door opens perfectly and smoothly....they only wanted 3 dollars for it...not sure if itll be worth it....it needs replated.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Krona is a great mild shave. You got a great deal.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

To me it would be worth buying just to try it, and if it turns out to be a great shaver for you the replate it $3 is worth a try:)

12. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I love a super speed but a krona with a really sharp blade like a feather (which I would never use in a super speed) is a close second. Great shave and a nice change up razor.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Re...re...replate?!? :shocked003: And cover up years of character build up?!?

14. Latherman87

yes sir lol im quite the fan of distressed retro stuff...but for some reason when it comes to razors I like em lookin flashy!