SoS: June 25th, 2012 - July 1st, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Boy, I get spoiled fast...I followed 'Crackstar'/Jeff's lead on the Arko 'Ice Mint' SC...Loved it...Used it all up....Now this stuff is made here in Turkey, but really hard to find....So I've been without for a little while....Well Yesterday I went an hour and change across town, to the Shave District and found some....BTW...They just finished filming the new James Bond movie here in Istanbul...and there's a motorcycle chase right through the middle of the Bazaar where the Turkish Shaving Supply District is....Check it out....

Well anyway...Today I broke open the Ice Mint Arko, and MAN!! It's even better than I remembered it...I mean it's not going to change your life or anything....But right now, its my favorite Shave Cream.....great lather...very moisturizing....and great scent, with a slight menthol presence which is much needed this time of year....

and now...the shave....
    Thursday's Shave
    Arko Ice Mint SC/Omega 10029
    1955 Schick Hydro-magic/Long's Drugs-Personna D4
    Rebul's Mandalina Colonia/Rebul's Lavanda Colonia

A shave sent from Heaven...I wanted more passes but 2 was BBS big-time...so anymore would have been looking a gift horse in the mouth...:)

macaronus, wlmcad, Asd and 13 others like this.
  2. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

SOTD Thursday June 28, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in hot water
    Razor: 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable, set to 9
    Blade: SuperMax Super Platinum
    Brush: VDH Boar Brush
    Soap: TSD Sandalwood
    Cream: TSD Wheat Cream Violet Patchouli
    AS: British Sterling
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Naturally Fresh Alum, Second Rinse, Double Splash of British Sterling.

It has been a while since I have used the VDH boar so I thought it was time to break it out. My wife has broken in it very well, she loves the VDH boar brush. I loaded it with my typical 10-15 swirls of soap, then a dap and swirl into the TSD wheat cream. I know that technically the Violet Patchouli is a "female" frangrance but when combined with the sandalwood it produces an intoxicating scent. As always, a nice thick lather was produced.

This is the first time in a months since I have used a TTO, much less the Slim. I will never get rid this razor, as it was a gift from my brother for me returning back to wet shaving. It operates very well, with the silo doors closing very smooth, and the clicks of the dial are audible. I am one of those in the minority who doesn't like most vintage TTO's, I am hoping that this shave will change my mind, as I hate to just keep it in a wooden box with a handful of other razors.

I set the dial to 9, closed the doors, and begain the shave. The first pass I had to double check to make sure I had loaded the blade, as it was quite smooth and felt like I was rubbing an unloaded razor across my face. When I rinsed the head sure enough there was an enormous amount of stubble in the lather.

Three passes, light buffing, done. A true BBS, no irration at all, just a really good shave. I will be shaving again with this razor very soon.

I finished with British Sterling which is one of my favorite aftershaves. The TSD products contain so much scent that it added the Sandalwood, Violet, Patchouli and other scents as base note below the aftershave. You take the base notes of the British Sterling, which are woodsy, earthy and mossy scent, add in the sandalwood and the complex undertones of the Violet Patchouli...all that I can say is that I smell awesome.

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 17 others like this.
  3. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thursday

TSD Wheat cream, unscented
    FS synthetic brush
    Schick injector with Schick blade
    TSD Aftershave milk, unscented

I have been trying different ways of using the TSD Wheat cream. Today I scooped some into a twist-up tube (like a deodorant stick -- I bought several of these empty for soaps) so I could apply the cream like a shave stick. I have used this method with Cella soap with great results. I got a good application of the TSD cream and a great lather, but it may be too soft for the tube - the business was a bit messy. I'll try again tomorrow.

The methods I've used are:
    1. Scraping a small amount out of the tub with a tiny plastic spoon used in ice cream shops for samples. I smeared the cream on both cheeks and face lather with a wet brush.
    2. Swirling a fairly dry brush in the cream tub, applying to my face, wetting the brush more with a trickle of water and face lathering.
    3. The twist up stick described above.
    So far, the method I like best is #1

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 16 others like this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Thursday
    Merkur 37C
    Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
    Simpsons Berkeley
    RR Nonno Michelino

I'm noticing that I load this soap the same as every other one that is an Italian soft soap, but seems to not last as long, I'm noticing the tub shrinking meanwhile my Cella is still going strong and looks almost unused after several months....hmmm. Oh well, it's cheap and fantastic performance. Can't complain.

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 14 others like this.
  5. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Thursday:

Hot shower, followed by Proraso Pre
    Soap: TSD iced sweet tea
    Brush: Omega boar
    Razor: EJ 89 w/ Feather blade
    Post: warm water rinse, razorock alum, Thayers wh, and good ole Floid Blue

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 15 others like this.
  6. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Hi Brian, well it's really nice plenty of slip not a great deal of scent but very nice all the same, but a little on the expensive side, only trouble there are so many good creams on the market it's hard to make a break through, but it's a good product and with a name like Simpson they are halfway there.

Jamie.

fishcrow, madmedic and Llyr like this.
  7. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Thursday morning, June 28, 2012

Schick E2 Injector Razor w/ Schick blade (4)
    Semogue 1250 boar bristle brush,
    TABAC shaving soap w/ hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

TABAC 13.JPG

8. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Thursday:

Soak Brush /Semogue SOC Boar
    Tepid shower
    Proraso PrePost cream
    RazoRock Cacao ss
    Tradere OC/Voskhod (3)
    Cold Water rinse/ice cube rub
    Monster Block Alum (Clean hardware and software,police area)
    Cold Water rinse/another ice cube rub
    Thayer's Medicated Superhazel mixed with 2 drops M-Bomb :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    TSD ISZ splash,I may use some ISZ Aftershave milk during the day as it gets hotter. :love029: :love029: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Nice BBS face and headshave today,only needed 2 passes for my face and 1 for the dome,no touch ups needed.

9. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Thursday, June 28th

Pre-shave: Hot shower, hair conditioner
    Soap: RazoRock Boston Tea Party
    Brush: AOS Travel Brush
    Razor: Merkur 39C Sledgehammer
    Blade: SuperMax (5)
    Post-shave: warm water rinse, cold water rinse, witch hazel
    A/S: Pinaud Clubman
    Moisturizer: L'Oreal Men's Expert Vita Lift w/ SFP 15

Thanks for the well wishes, yesterday.This morning I woke up feeling a bit better; still not 100%, but getting there. Another fantastic shave this morning that left me just shy of BBS. The lather was great, the razor was great, and the SuperMax, on it's 5th shave, was great. Have a fantastic day, everyone!

10. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Thursday 6-28-2012

5/8 Torrey Shoulderless, Hollow Point
    Proraso PSC
    Erasmic SC
    Semogue 820 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea ASB
    Adidas Dynamic Pulse ASL

[​IMG]

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 17 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yo Nick....Dig those antique water faucets....very hip....and your kit looks so clean and shiney...my razor is always white with soap scum except for my weekly razor cleaning day ...:happy097:

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  12. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Probably not enough to make me jump. I will quite happily continue to use my Vulfix Persian Musk for special occasions!

macaronus, Llyr and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  13. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

DE razor time:

Barbasol razor
    Iridium blade
    Omega boar
    Arko Stick

My DE razors get only occasional use in between the SE and injectors, but they do get pulled out every couple of months. I don't suppose I've used this Barbasol more than a dozen times altogether, but it works at least as well as any of my other DEs, and better than most.

Five more Iridium blades after this one, then they're done. Very nice blades, but luckily there are others that I'm just as happy with.

macaronus, oscar11, moz68 and 13 others like this.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Thursday, June 28, 2012. Good Morning!

Morning Coffee: Dunkin Donuts
    Prep: Wash face with Musgo Real Glyce Lime
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Schick
    Soap: Old Spice
    Brush: Semogue 1460
    Scuttle/Mug: Old Spice

Photo2701.jpg

15. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

• Prep: hot shower and Nivea pre shave face scrub
    • Brush: Fuller/TGN
    • Soap/Cream: Proraso SC
    • Razor: Schick Golden 500
    • Blade: Schick golden Swedish steel
    • Results: 2 pass BBS :happy088:
    [​IMG]

macaronus, oscar11, moz68 and 16 others like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thursday - another day closer

Prep: Hot shower, AoS pre-shave oil
    CD: Winds of Worship ~ Live in New England
    Coffee: Home roasted, fresh ground Malawi Mapanga AA, BLACK
    Soap: TSD SOTQ B3, Cantaloupe
    Brush: Vulfix 406, The Burlington
    Razor: Parker 80R
    Blade: 7am Plus Platinum, day 4, 3+ passes
    Post: Ice water rinse, Thayer's Rose Petal WH with Aloe Vera, Pinaud Clubman, hand strop blade
    'Stache Wax: Firehouse Wacky Tacky

Did another ice water shave this morning. Not bad. As others have noted, the soap didn't seem to lather up as well as when using hot water. Decent enough to use, though.
    Darn near BBS.

17. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

No Name 6/8ths, 1/2 hollow, barber's notch
    Omega boar (faux ivory)
    KMF Unscented
    M&L Florida Water a/s
    Malizia Vetyver e de c

A most unusual razor that I'm using for the second time. It appears to be a regrind from an old English blade; it has short tail and a swayback spine, but a perfectly straight edge. There are no marks on the tang, so there's no saying who made it. Anyway it gave me a decent cold water shave this morning.

Best Regards

Graham

macaronus, moz68, wlmcad and 13 others like this.
  18. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Praying for God's healing hand to touch you.

macaronus, Azarius, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

06/28/2012

To start today I had a great hot shower. The arthritis has settled down too.

While showering the brush choice for today was warming up.

Today's line-up of products:

Brush, Vulfix boar
    Soap, RazoRock Cumba Cheech I like this soap, lathers easily, nice citrus scent, good moisturizing, and slick. :)

Razor, Gillette SS, blade Wilkson Sword

Finishing touches, cold water splash, RazoRock alum.

A great three pass DFS.

IMG_0386.JPG
    Everyone stay cool and be safe in the heat.

20. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

Thursday:

Razor - Gillette ball end Old Type
    Blade - Polsilver (3)
    Brush - Rudy Vey Custom with TGN Black Badger knot (see photo)
    Lather - Godrej Menthol Mist shaving cream
    A/S - Thayers witch hazel
    Frag - A Taste of Heaven By Kilian
    Rudy Black.JPG