The Haul: June 25th - July 1st, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 25, 2012.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

P1040120(1).JPG P1040121(1).JPG

Any info regarding the maker of the shave mug??? just that I have never heard of em, its a heavy item tips the scales at 1/2 kg!!!, and the black beauty is also new and there to show size of the mug

Hanzo, GDCarrington, Asd and 2 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are you sure it's was intended as a shave mug? I've seen cups like that in the past but never wondered what they were. If it is a shave mug, without a handle it might be one (kind of a large one, admittedly) that was kept in a bracket on an old style shaving stand/mirror. Possibly...?

alpla444 likes this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Im not too sure hence me asking, it was sold with a couple of razors and listed as shave mug, only $10 with a super speed and a slim!!! so Im not too bothered if its just a cup/mug. just putting the question out there. just that at 1/2 kg its heavy for a mug

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It'd definitely work like one; it's as heavy as my recently acquired Homer Laughlin. Actually, I think I recall reading (maybe imagined) that some guys in the old days preferred their shave mugs w/o handles. In a way, I can see why.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thats one reason I think it may be a shave is is the no handle, and the weight, just thinking what soap to buy to put in there:signs002:

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

VDH works great for me, but I'm anything but picky. Looks like it'd fit.

7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Dam your good, just reminded me that I had a spare VDH (PIF fron HANZO/Kev), does it fit?? ohhhh yes.:) all I need now Is enough hair to shave.

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Just received this a little bit ago. I am almost out and ordered this yesterday from Amazon.

IMAG0440.jpg

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sterling China
    East Liverpool, Ohio
    Started in 1917, closed down 6 years ago in 2006.
    Bought out Scammell China Company in 1954.
    Operated Wellsville China Company during the 1960's.
    Put out Caribe China as well.
    Put out a lion's share of railroad china. High quality stuff.

That's what I was able to find.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Gillette-i Master
    Jodypedia
    :D

alpla444 and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

This is more of a luck find than it is a haul. The wife asked me to clean all the junk out from under the bathroom sink. I was just about to throw a box away when something red showing from under the corner of a dusty old dust rag caught my eye.

To some, the holy grail of shave cream. Brand new, in the box, and all mine.

Proraso Red

Photo2734.jpg

12. IAmTheJody

Awesome!! I sure hope you kissed your wife and thanked her for asking you to clean out under the sink! :bounce015:

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Great find Johnny! ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, here is a new addition to the fold.

[​IMG]

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Its interesting, when I started wet shaving 5 years back Proraso Red was everywhere, all the vendors carried it and forum opinion was generally indifferent , in fact only Proraso Green was valued, the red was just its unpopular lil cousin . It seems like only now thats it no longer produced has it become a legend. P60, Noxema , and Coates seem like similar cases in which interest rose only after they died.

alpla444 likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

That's like most things we take for granted, no? It's just there and we don't think about it or talk about it much but many people are using it, but once it's gone and can't be gotten again, we realize how much we miss it and how great it was.

alpla444 and Hanzo like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

True for sure, but I pity newbs who come onto the boards and learn about the holy grails and then set out on long journeys to acquire them , spending any amount of time , energy and money to get the relics others rave about, always feeling they lack something because they can't have it. To me if they realize just a short time ago the holy grails were just pedestrian creams in a online catalog that didn't draw that much attention maybe some of that lustre wears off and they won't go chasing the illusion that the cream was just so incredible we can't live without it or the cream was just so unique it will never be equalled , never, ever.:)

IAmTheJody and alpla444 like this.
  18. KLF

KLF Doctorin

People, especially men, always want what they cannot have/afford. And when they get it, they feel special. See "Mad Men", the campaign for Jaguar :)

alpla444 likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Yep, but too people get what they want and can feel dissappointed or come to feel they didn't really want it in the first place.

burnout961 and alpla444 like this.
  20. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Found this at an estate sale for $2. The package and brush designs looks a lot like VDH. Any connection?
    feb2010 039.jpg

GDCarrington and alpla444 like this.