What does NOS mean?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Martin Porter, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

Hi, as a forum newbie, I keep seeing the term NOS used. Can any kind soul let me know what it means?

Martin

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    New Old Stock. Vintage unused, or unused in original packaging.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

4. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

Ah, thanks for the prompt replies! I had tried using the search function, but three letters is to short for the criteria.

Thanks again,

Martin

5. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

Hey, thanks for the link! I'm going to be flicking through that post for a bit now.

Regards,

Martin

6. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

More accurate - NOS means definitly Not On Sale.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

New old stock. Doesn't mean that it's new mint old stock or just like new old stock. It could be all rusted out but to you it's NOS. you have to ask about condition.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den:)

Thanks for being active and asking questions, remember ask as many as you like, people are always happy to help on here

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That would be stretching the bounds of credibility.

NOS blades might have a bit of rust on them, but they are still in unopened packs or wrappers. A NOS cologne might have some evaporation loss, but is still sealed up. A razor must be in original blister packaging or otherwise appear to have been unused to be considered NOS.

This is almost NOS:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/1946-gillette-milord-christmas-gift-set.24836/
    This is NOS:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/1947-gillette-milord-christmas-gift-set.29140/

Mod edit: The '47 link was going to something else. ;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Lol for some reason, whenever I see that abrrev I think of Not A Scratch..but then that would be NAS.. :confused:

11. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

Thanks for the help! New old stock seems to be the agreed meaning!

Martin

12. Howard

Howard Active Member

NOS also applies to the world of hones. Many natural hones are no longer available as the mine or quarry ran out and they closed down. Examples are the Escher Thuringian, Blue Dalmore, Water of Ayr, Charnley and others. Every once in awhile though, someone finds a boulder in the tailings pile of a former commerecial operation and is able to cut a number of stones. This happened about 4 years ago with Escher stones and, for awhile, we had some NOS Eschers available. It also happens, once in awhile, that an inventory of old stones is discovered in someone's basement or attic or in the dusty inventory of an old pharmacy. These are relatively rare occurrences but they do happen.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

NOS applies to anything manufactured and sold at some point...

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

You are being misled! NOS refers to Nasty Old Scar - straight razor accident! If it has the right oblique angle across a cheek, some ladies find it very sexy. Sort of a Zoro thing... It can be an excellent prop when spinning yarns, and will one day be useful when entertaining your grandchildren. :duel:

15. jeraldgordon

In England it also means kNickers Out Of Sorts - in the US and Canada we would say "Don't get your panties in a wad"

16. jeraldgordon

You know, wet shavers are a playful bunch - always trying to have a bit of a laugh at the expense of a Newbie, just like these guys were doing with you... always best to take anything from, say, Plan Of Man, with a grain of salt...

GDCarrington and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

In my house, NOS means, Nice Oil, Sara.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If I'm giving advice, I'm always serious.
    ...now if I poke fun at someone's pleading (or is it bleating?) for a custom title, that's an entirely different story. We try to refrain from maliciously tormenting newbies and save our wits and puns for old friends. You're safe...for at least another month at least.:D But accidents happen and sometimes the joke section overflows into the rest of the forum.:innocent

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. jeraldgordon

Who, me? I'm innocent! Must have been my evil twin... :p

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  20. Howard

Howard Active Member

Only as long as its still available in new condition.