New Proraso Green cream available in Montreal!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by crackstar, Jun 18, 2012.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

PRO1118-Proraso-reformulated-Eucalyptus-shaving-cream.jpg PRO1149-Proraso-reformulated-Eucalyptus-shaving-soap.jpg This morning I was at a pharmacie here in town because I needed mouthwash and a few other things for myself, and my wife needed hair spray, shampoo, and the vitamins she takes daily. I passed by the section where the men's shaving articles are stocked, and besides the canned dreck and cartridge razors, disposable razors and other things I don't care for, I saw some newly-arrived Proraso Green tubes and bowls. Hey, 6,99$ CAD doesn't sound too bad, huh? I didn't buy the new formulation yet, but as soon as I finish my old Green bowl, I believe I will! One of my brothers-in-law already tried the new soap in a bowl, and he raves about it. He tells me the scent is nicer, the lather is better, and it has superior skincare.

2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Nice! I'm still waiting for the itallian centre to carry it here in Edmonton. Too bad I think they have a few pallets of the old formula in the back...honestly the stuff just flies off the shelf and more and more old stock comes out...:(

3. crackstar

You got a PM.

lradke likes this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    I've used soaps for many, many years (I'm old) but was never much into creams...until recently. I traded a friend some Tabac for a tub of TOBS about a year ago and I love the stuff.
    I've used Poraso soaps before and liked them. How do their creams compare to something like TOBS? I can't find it locally, but I may order some.

Dennis

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I'm sure Jeff will pipe up soon, but I'd like to offer my oppinion on your question. I have a tub of TOBS almond shave cream, and I have tried the old proraso green and red (the new stuff is on the way). When comparing the TOBS to proraso, I find the TOBS produces a very rich creamy/slick lather (you'll know what I mean). Whereas the Proraso will produce a heavy thick lather. Both are very nice to use, and do the job well.
    Personally, what I look for in shaving products is the skin care qualities. I have sensitive skin that will dry like crazy if given the chance. In this, I find the proraso is better. I can use the cream (or soap) and put on either the splash or balm afterwards, and walk away with nice moist skin. Whereas with the TOBS, there is a bit of a drying effect that is evident after the aftershave goes on.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

6. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

I use the Prorasor soap, so I would be interested to see how this compares to the new creams?
    Your input would be appreciated!

Regards,

Martin

7. crackstar

Dennis, I honestly don't know what to say. I tried several TOBS creams and I only liked the almond-scented one. I found that the scent was beautiful and the lather and skincare were great. Now, Proraso cream in the green tube is well-mentholated, and I'm a menthol fanatic, so for me that cream is a joy. I personally think that the TOBS creams have better lather than Proraso, at least to me, but the Proraso Green cream and the new Proraso Sandalwood, (this new Sandalwood cream has NO menthol) and the discontinued Proraso Wheat Germ cream have superior post-shave care.

8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    I ordered and tried the new Proraso Sandlewood (read your review) and it is very nice. You're right, it doesn't lather quite like TOBS, but it makes up for it in slickness, something I also noticed about the Proraso soaps when I used them in the past. The scent is much nicer than the TOBS Sandlewood, which to my nose was a bit overpowering.

Sorry I used TOBS as a benchmark, but its the only cream I've used in many years. I did use some other tube cream when I was in the service, but I don't remember what it was. I jumped back to my Old Spice soap as soon as I could.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis