Keeping up with The Shave Den — A Reader's Guide

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Smott, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Hi folks,

I thought I'd share how I keep up with all the new posts to The Shave Den forums using the built-in forum tools. Most of you likely have your own methods, but I thought this might be helpful to new members who feel overwhelmed by the number of threads and posts. This is what I do when I visit The Shave Den:

1) From the home page, hover your mouse over the "Forums" link and a top secret menu will appear. Please. Only use this power for good. Click on "New Posts." This will show you every thread that has changed and/or that has unread posts in it. This keeps you from having to scour the entire forum in search of new threads, like Juan Ponce de León in search of the Fountain of Youth, or Jody in search of a 1930s British Gillette No. 77...

[​IMG]

2) Skim through the titles like buffet offerings at The Sizzler. If this is your first time doing this, you're going to have a lot of content to skim over. Start skimming and view any threads you find intriguing (oh wow, malibu chicken!), and keep going until you're sick of it and want a clean slate. Just know that subsequent visits will be significantly more manageable. Just like The Sizzler.

[​IMG]

3) When you're ready, go ahead and click on "Mark Forums Read" under the red navigation banner at the top. This will mark all posts/threads as having been read and will start you fresh. Like clean sheets, baby! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

[​IMG]

This will also take you back to the main forum page. You will feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

4) Clicking "New Posts" will confirm what you may have already suspected. "You have no unread threads." Clicking "New Posts" again right away will yield the same message, unless PLANofMAN is online, in which case you'll see several new, really awesome threads.

[​IMG]

5) For additional options, try the "Watch Thread" feature! You can start by going into your preferences. Click your user name at the top right corner and click on "Preferences" in the pop-up menu that appears. Aww, look at that little Smott. Adorable.

[​IMG]

6) Ensure the "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..." box is checked, as this will allow you to pay special attention to those threads in which you're participating. Nobody buys stock in a company and then ignores the ticker. Unless they hire someone to take care of their finances. And no, I don't think there are currently any thread-watchers for hire...

[​IMG]

7) You can also watch interesting threads you have not created or posted in. Enter the thread of your choice and click on the "Watch Thread" link in the top right corner. Don't you wish your dating life had this feature where you could be alerted every time something changed? What did that have to do with anything, Steve? And why is he talking to himself now?

[​IMG]

There are many other options, including setting alert preferences and email notifications, that will help you as you enjoy The Shave Den forums. These things just make it easier for me to keep up with what's going on while allowing me to pay special attention to the things I'm most interested in. All from the comfort of my own home. In my Batman pajamas. Don't judge me.

Sound off with any other pointers and tips and we can adjust this tutorial accordingly. And remember, in the words of Steve (swarden43): "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way"© (used without permission or endorsement of any kind).

BONUS:
    If you bookmark the "New Posts" link, one click will take you directly to the updated threads. Right click on this link and select "Bookmark This Link" from the context menu. If you save the bookmark to your Bookmarks Toolbar, you'll have it front and center to check every time you go online.

[​IMG]

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wow, Steve, I didn't know you had it in you. Should we start calling you "The Professor" now? Brilliant write-up, and so modest too. This should be a sticky.

My technique is far less refined. I just click on the home button (next to forums) and scroll down past the three articles on the top. I click refresh every once in a while and read and respond to anything interesting. Steve's way is more elegant and refined. A search from a more civilized age.

As a side note, if there is a particular poster who's comments and posts you like to read, you can click on their avatar. This will bring up a popup box with a bunch of options. click on follow. Now you can be a little monster to someone other than Lady Gaga.

Smott likes this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    From the homepage, the Forums tab has a drop menu with New Posts in it. Saves a click.

I watch all the threads, so y'all can pay me..............

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Excellent job, Steve! :happy096:

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent documentation!

6. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

I found this very helpful and should make it easier for others,great work.

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Very nice!​

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That's exactly what I do, but I just didn't know how to put it into words. :p

Great job, Steve!

9. Smott

Yes, good point. Following particular users is a great way to stay up to speed on all their forum activities. It's like a tabloid feature for your favorite TSD celebrities!

Thanks! Your suggestion has been implemented in my latest update to the tutorial. And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, JoAnna's offer to watch the threads for you is on the table. In addition to watching them, JoAnna also offers to feed, walk, water, and groom your threads as well for a reasonable upgrade fee! [​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Queen of Blades like this.
  10. Martin Porter

Martin Porter New Member

Thank you for the guide.

I find the Tapatalk app is useful as it gives me an unread threads list.
    Doesn't help me keep up with all of the posts I would love to reply to!

Regards,

Martin

11. Smott

Good point, Martin—there are several mobile options as well! Since I prefer typing on a desktop keyboard to swyping on my Android—and I inevitably want to reply to someone as I'm reading—I do most of my visits using my desktop computer. Mobile, desktop...however you travel, we're glad you're here!

12. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Dude, Heavy! ... Wish I hadn't listened to Joy Division today before reading this! The impact ... I can't ... articulate:sad029:.

BTW, nice post! :)

Smott likes this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great write-up. Steve!