Just purchused my first DE

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Sputnik27, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Hi all im new to this site and after reading a lot on DE razors i decided it was time to try them out. I tried my fathers older one not sure the model and cut my self up real good but have now realised it was due to a few different things such as bad lather and crappy technique. Today i just purchased the ED 89 barley edition, due to the fact i heard a lot of good things about it. Can anyone tell me about how The English Shave co. is with shipping to Australia? since they are ones a purchased from. Also any input on the ED razor would be awesome.

Mrkrys and Mark1966 like this.
  2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I can't answer any of your questions, but welcome to TSD!!!

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046:...I don't know about the EJ89 Barley edition handle,but the EJ89 shave head is Great!! I'm sure once to get your lather making and shave technique down you will begin having smooth, irritation and cut free shaves, just give it time. Go kinda slow and gentle.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Welcome to the shave den,
    Congrats on the new razor I have an EJ89L fine razor, you will enjoy, you should post some pics of the old razor you have tried, Im sure some one will ID it for you:)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: Glad you're here!!

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good luck with it and welcome!

8. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Nice to have you on board! Yes, do post a pic of the old razor! :)

9. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

:signs046:. Don't know about the barley edition but I do love my EJ89. Nice and smooth! Good luck. There's a video on youtube by geofatboy of him using the EJ89!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Hi Sputnik27, and welcome! The EJ DE89BA11 was my pick when I got into wet shaving, so I can reassure you first hand that you've chosen well. I still love mine! It looks great, it's easy to hold, it's got a good weight, and the head performs well. Take it nice and slow and know that little by little it gets better and better. Even if you think you're an exception, trust me, it gets better. Just don't try to rush and pick up too many new things too quickly.

Feel free to ask any questions you have as you get into it. My personal advice to new guys is to practice lather again and again before you even take to shaving. It would be worth it even if you needed to go through an entire product to get it just right. From then on, you'll have one thing perfect, and it didn't cost any blood investment!

Switchermike likes this.
  12. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! :bounce017:

13. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN.

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi, Sputnik. Welcome to The Den! Just practice your lathering technique and take the shaves nice 'n' slow. No pressure (in both ways!). You'll get there and enjoy jour shaves. As we do! Happy shavings!

15. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, the pics are of the machine that chewed my face real good.... i hope the EJ cuts better.

2012-08-25_22-25-11_96.jpg
    2012-08-25_22-26-01_809.jpg
    2012-08-25_22-25-25_563.jpg

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046:

Enjoy your stay here :happy088:

17. 178-bplatoon

Hi Sputnik27, I believe you have a Gillette "Knack" or "Slim Twist" if its British. Although I've never seen one with that particular handle style. Do you know if it's British or US made? I've heard they shave along the lines of a SuperSpeed, but the fit and finish isn't quite as good. I'm 99.9% sure you will like the EJ Barley much better. Just my two cents hope it helps. :signs154:

18. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

thanks for the input. Look i have no idea but all i can tell you is im pretty sure my dad got it from Croatia, so back in the day it would have still been under Communist rule so im not sure how they went about getting in western brands.

19. 178-bplatoon

That might explain the handle difference and the shave. Alot of Gillette models were copied. I shaved this morning with a vintage SS Polish Lux 3 piece made in the 60's-70's I think(looks kinda like an Old Type head but with a solid guard bar) hooked to my Weber BullDog handle of course "lol". Not nearly as comfortable a shave as an EJ89 or vintage Gillette NEW, but a close shave.

20. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

What kind of blade are you using. I have found that my face just can't tolerate some blades, at least in my EJ89. My personal favorites are Astra superior platinum (cheap and very comfortable for me) and feather (the hair just seems to melt of my face but go EASY).