Pipe Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Dennis Nedry, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Member

Greetings pipe smokers! I've been smoking a pipe for some time now and I've become quite decent at it, but I've always had the problem of never being able to smoke down to the bottom of my pipe, with virginia's or aromatics. When it comes to aromatics I've kind of just givin up due to the high moisture content, but with virginia's it seems odd. Should I try drying it out for a few minutes, before smoking, and I have never have truely broken in my pipe the proper way with 1/4 of a bowl then 1/2 a bowl and so on and so on could that be contributing to the problem as well? What would you guys suggest? I would also enjoy suggestions on new kinds of brands, and blends since I've only tried a house aromatic blend, and Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend. Thanks in advance.

Dennis Nedry

2. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Although I am not a pipe smoker...I did enjoy pipe smoking when I was 18. My friend and I would buy pipe tobacco at a store in the mall called Crumbaker's. Really, I just love the aroma of fresh pipe tobacco. And tobacco on a side note is also burned by many Native American Indians for sacred rituals. :)

Monty Craig and Dennis Nedry like this.
  3. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Member

I agree Chris I generally love the smell of good quality tobacco, and oddly enough i'll even ejoy the aroma of cigar smoke even though some find it pungent.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've smoked cigars and cigarettes, but haven't gotten around to a pipe yet. I really like cigars but don't smoke them that much. It's more of a special occasion to me. I did kick the cigarette habit awhile though. It's been almost two years since I've bought a pack of cigarettes for myself.

Zereoue20 likes this.
  5. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Member

Good to hear I'm trying to quit cigarette smoking myself.

6. Ryan B

Keep at it my man. The first week or so is always the roughest. Besides the obvious risk of cancer, you smell better, blood flows better, your clothes don't always smell. Also, it makes it easier for me to run.

7. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I smoke a pipe daily. I usually smoke Virginias but I like the occasional English and sometimes I'll smoke an aromatic. It's really not necessary to "break in" your pipe that way, normal smoking will do that in time. I have been smoking a pipe since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. I find I don't always finish a bowl either. No biggie if you are satisfied you are satisfied... Maybe try a pipe with a smaller bowl. As for a recommendation my daily smoke is Orlick golden slice it's a bright Virginia flake. I'm also a fan of Dan tobacco blue note and vanilla honeydew both are Virginia aromatics. As for English's I really like a blend called Mississippi River from pipesandcigars.com and frog morton on the town. I'm not a big fan of straight aromatics but my local shop has a blend called Peach Pie that I LOVE! I keep a few ounces of it on hand.

If you are trying to supplement your nicotine with pipes try Peterson Irish Flake. It's a mild tobacco taste but it's got a kick for sure. I can't really smoke it unless I have something on my stomach.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  9. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Member

Thanks all for the tips, also as for the question of yongue bite from the Mac baren Scottish Blend is that normal to get on the charing light? Also I would love to try all of these tobaccos but my tobacconist only carries house blends and scottish mixture, and I'm a tad bit affraid of buying online, due to stories I have heard of local governments finding out and charging people taxes that were avoided.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Scottish tobbaccos, while very good, tend to be on the dry side, which could account for the tongue bite. I find they burn hot and slow. Many of them are flue cured rather than air cured like American style pipe tobacco. Someone else may have a different take on your problem though.

11. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

If you are smoking an aromatic, and are having problems with the moisture, stick a pipe cleaner about 1/2 to 1 inch down the stem while smoking to absorb any moisture that's there, then go back to smoking. Works like a charm for me, and I've been smoking a pipe on and off for about 20 years now and I love the aromatics.

12. Indiexsunrise

I buy tobacco from smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com and never once had an issue.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I generally prefer cigars to a pipe, and even at that, I really don't smoke very much (maybe 1x/month)... in any case, especially with the cooler weather around the corner, C&D Autumn Evening is quite nice.

15. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I have really been enjoying a blend called Moontrance from Dan Tobaccos... I was looking for Blue Note, but I don't believe they still sell it in the tin.

16. Indiexsunrise

They definitely still do. I have tried the moontrance but it gives me a bit of bite. Try smokingpipes.com for blue note. I ordered a tin of it and patriot flake 3 weeks ago.

17. Ryan B

I thought about picking up a pipe. I just don't want to spend the money and then have the pipe just sit around.

18. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

Mr. Bales, Missouri Meerschaum is your huckleberry. You can spend $10 if you really work at it on one of their pipes, and I've found they provide a fine smoke, especially the corncobs (I'm a bit mixed on their hickory pipes). They won't last forever, but you'll get the flavor of your tobacco and learn your pipe technique. Besides, good enough for Mark Twain & Dan'l Boone feels like a recommendation to me!

19. Indiexsunrise

Ryan my grandad has been smoking the same corncob for over 20 years. My biggest recommendation is stay away from drugstore tobacco.

20. Indiexsunrise

I got me a new pipe from Royalmeerschaumpipes.com it's a mini Meer. Really nice for the price.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351625179.082484.jpg

Monty Craig likes this.