SoS: August 27th, 2012 - September 2nd, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

It is a good performer, somewhere between a Single Ring and the FaTip as far as aggressiveness. The heft is nice, it weighs 133.7 grams!!! I really wanted the T1's and T2's, but it looks like Joe will no longer be getting those in stock.

The Cadet 3 piece and Open Comb arrived today, according to my wife, the plating is excellent. I will see when I get home. She used the Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender Shave Cream and is in love, for me, I will be using the Lea Menthol tomorrow just because of Jeff's high opinion of it.

macaronus, Llyr, wlmcad and 1 other person like this.
  2. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Good point!

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  3. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Weber Bulldog Handle with ARC head
    Feather Blade
    Semogue Boar Brush
    Mama Bear's Iced Lilac Ice Soap
    Master's Lilac Vegetol Splash
    tunes-Neko Case

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Monday
    Edwin Jagger D87 + Unknown Platinum
    Simpsons Chubby CH1
    Klar Kabinett + MBomb
    Clubman VI Bay Rum
    Foad Wax

5. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Good morning.

My shave on Tuesday:

Musgo Real pre shave oil
    Calani Purissima shave soap
    Mühle Basic Nr. 02 shave brush with Silver Tip Fibre
    1955 Gillette Super Speed Heavy
    Feather blade (3.)
    Bloc Osma alum
    Musgo Real Classic after shave

6. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

8-27-12 (Evening)

Shower: Burt's Bees Mens Care Soap
    Razor: Parker 22 R
    Blade: Astra (Day 2)
    Soap: DMN (Sedona)
    Brush: TBS Syntax.

Enjoyed a DFS this evening. Switching up with my Omega soap tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

8-27-12 Afternoon Post Gym Session

Prep: Clippers to the stubble, warm shower, conditioner in the stubble.
    Razor: Schick Krona (first shave with one ever.)
    Blade: Schick Krona. (also first shave.)
    Soap: TSD Lanolin (Irish Spring)
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar.
    Post: Cold water rinse, alum block, cold water rinse, Thayer's Witch Hazel Rose, Proraso Pre/Post Cream.

The shave was absolutely horrible on the second pass and left me with irritation on part of my neck. I don't know if it was the blade or the razor, but both will be put away for awhile.

8. Azarius

Evening Shave, Monday August 27, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaking in ice water, face wash with Noxzema Triple Clean,cold shower
    Razor: Cadet Open Comb Head mounted to Cadet SS-26 Handle
    Blade: Lord Platinum Plus
    Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
    Soap: Lea Menthol
    AS: Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Rub, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

The Cadet finally arrived and all that I can say is that I am blow away on all counts; Price, Fit, Finish, and Shave.

At first glance from the web the head appeared to be much like a the FaTip, but in person you really notice the variance. It is unique to itself is all that I can say, if I had to place it somewhere, it shaves somewhere between a FaTip and an Old Type 102 Head.

Is this head worth the $12.00 that it retails for? No it is not. It is worth double that, at least. I really should not say that as Joe may increase his price....or there may be a mad rush on these heads. If that happened, good, I hope that he sells every last one of them, and hopefully to BOTOC members in good standing. They are that good of a head.

The fit and finish is better than my FaTip, and not be a little, by a lot. The chrome finish is very heavily applied, much better than any Merkur that I own and almost as good as my Edwin Jagger.

This very well may become my "go to razor" it shaves that good.

But for those of you that do not want to buy razors from India, you may want to rethink your thinking. Joe put some serious thought into these heads as he himself is a wet shaver.

This was the first shave with the Lea Menthol...and as Jeff would say "it is cold". I was expecting Bigelow cold...no way, this makes Bigelow feel like something your pansy cousin claims to be menthol. This menthol hits you hard in the face and lets you know who is the boss. It is not meant for light weights, so be forewarned.

Did I mention the Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice? Did I ever mention that I hate Bay Rum? Well not this one. This is what Bay Rum should smell like. At first whiff it smells a little like Christmas, kind of a bayberry candle scent. Then something magical happens...your skin feels softer than it has ever felt, and the smell turns into something light and special.

When I first got done with my shave, I went out to the living room to grab my smokes and my wife had commented "you smell nice". About 30 minutes later after I finished talking pictures I went out to grab another smoke...this time she said "You smell yummy". I do not think I have been told that I smell yummy in over a decade.

Did I enjoy this shave? No, LOVED this shave.

9. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Monday August 27
    Merkur 34C w/ Vokshod
    KMF Cool Mint
    Aqua Velva Ice Sport ---> Nivea Cool Kick ASB
    Very minty Monday. It felt good.

10. dinatali

dinatali Well-Known Member

Its Just Tabac :cool:

[​IMG]

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Tuesday, August 28

Gem Push Button
    GEM (T. Pella SS PTFE ) (d1)
    Arko Stick+ Tabac
    Tweezerman (for lots of scritch)
    Pinuad Clubman Virgin Island BR
    Result: Near BBS on 2.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

supermax.jpg 444_gel_01-340x340.jpg Barber_Aftershave_Osage-Rub_LRG.jpg Tuesday:

Omega Wooden Handle
    Super Speed/Rapira day 2
    Super Max Classic SC :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    444 AS Balsam :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Givenchy Pour Homme EDT

Smooth as silk, smelling and looking gorgeous, (just kidding about looking gorgeous!) and ready for another day - I cannot believe that I shaved with something which has no menthol effect. Officially, the Super Max Classic cream lists menthol as an ingredient, but it gives absolutely NO cooling whatsoever, but it's still very good stuff. At least I can depend on the 444 and the Osage Rub for a great post-shave freeze! ;) :D

13. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Tuesday, August 28, 2012. Good Morning!

Morning Coffee: Dunkin Donuts
    Prep: Wash face with Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap
    Razor: Schick I1
    Blade: Schick
    Soap: MdC
    Brush: Plisson EW 10
    Scuttle/Mug: Sara Bonnyman Bowl

Photo3385.jpg

14. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

August 28 2012

Bengall
    6/8ths,full hollow,round point
    Vie Long Cachurro brush
    J M Fraser's original scent s/c
    M&L Florida Water a/s
    4711 e de c

I used much the same set up yesterday with the Holtz Apfell 6/8ths and got not quite as nice a result, but still pretty good. I love the weight of the Cachurro brush, and it's performance is well up to standerd of the Omega Professional that I'll undoubtedly start using again when the novelty of the Vie Long wears off.

Have a great day everyone!

Graham

15. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Tuesday:

Shower / Proraso PSC / TSD Iced Coconut Lime Verbena / Semogue 620 / EJ DE89L w/ Yellow EverSharp / Alum / WH / Superior 70

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346159189.865555.jpg

Smoothy, JayPo007, alpla444 and 17 others like this.
  16. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to think the blade is the culprit. The Krona is known as a mild razor and both of mine certainly live up to that billing - I'd switch out the blade and try it again.

Best Regards

Graham

17. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

Tuesday, August 28, 2012, Shaving Ritual

Razor: 68 Slim Gillette Adjustable (N4) (set on 9)
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile (3rd use)
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Bowl: Gravy Boat Scuttle
    Cream or Soap: Honeybee Soap (Yuzu scent)
    A/S: Alum & Cold Water Rinse
    A/S: Aqua Velva Musk

This morning’s shave was a very nice comfortable shave, a most pleasant way to start the day; a great shave today, easy and comfortable 3-pass BBS!

830 Slim SOTD01 R.jpg

Smoothy, JayPo007, alpla444 and 15 others like this.
  18. Azarius

Shave of the Day (SOTD) Tuesday August 28, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Prep: Brush soaking in ice water, face wash with Noxzema Triple Clean,cold shower
    Razor: Cadet Open Comb Head mounted to EJ DE89L Handle
    Blade: SuperMax Sunrise Super Stainless
    Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
    Soap: Mystic Menthol
    AS: Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Rub, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

I wanted to pair the Cadet Open Comb Head to the Edwin Jagger Handle so everyone could see how well the finish is. If EJ was to purchase this Open Comb from the OEM supplier and did nothing more than mount it to an existing handle people would be ranting over the latest must have EJ razor. Funny how perception can be.

The Sunrise blade paired to the Cadet Open comb is like a match made in heaven. These are outstanding blades and paired with such a fine open comb, it provided for an excellent shave.

This is my first use of the Mystic Menthol and although it not as heavily mentholated as the Lea, it still provided a very nice cooling effect. The lather was very easy to build and provided more than enough cushion and slickness. The razor slide across my face like it was not even loaded.

Being that I shaved last night I only needed two passes with slight touch up's around my jawline and neck.

The Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice has zero burn, and I mean zero, like it does not even contain alcohol. It leaves me skin feeling so soft and conditioned I feel like that I used a high moisturizer on my face.

19. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Tuesday:
    soak brush/Semogue SOC/DB Brush Scuttle
    warm shower
    Proraso PrePost cream
    RazoRock Cacao shave soap (face lathered) :love029: :love029:
    Gillette Ranger Tech/Rapira Swedish Super Steel (4)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Thayer's Medicated Superhazel mixed with 3 drops M-Bomb :love029: :love029: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Myrsol Formula K :love029: :love029: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Nice 2 pass shave on my face,1 pass head shave not so much, looks like 4 shaves is the limit for this blade.Actually more like 31/2,my face shave was nice and smooth.The head shave, the blade was dragging a lil bit,so I guess 3 is the charm for the Rapira.

Smoothy, JayPo007, alpla444 and 13 others like this.
  20. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning, August 28, 2012

Schick E2 Injector Razor w/ Schick blade (4)
    Semogue SOC boar bristle brush,
    TABAC shaving soap w/ hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

B B 2.JPG

Smoothy, JayPo007, alpla444 and 15 others like this.