I need some desperate help.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by JeffCSellsing, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

22 year old, guess I've been shaving what I've got for a while. I just have a problem. I have dark hair, thus, leaving me dark facial hair. Pretty much have a nasty mustache, some whiskers on my chin, and hair growing in everywhere else, spatially. I have a problem though. My dark mustache growing up, til now, has been growing for a while. I have been forced to shave against the grain, to ensure it was fully shaved off. Now, I think I have given myself a problem. I have a permanent shadow, and shaving with the grain virtually does nothing. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Waxing or something. I just want even growth, and NO MORE SKANK STACHE, to be brutally honest. It is something I am very self-conscious about, and I think about it every day. Someone please give me some tips, or preferably, an end-all be-all to my problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome to the Den! Your problem, unfortunately, is genetics. I have both good news and bad. The good news is that shaving does not cause hair to grow any differently than it would have if you hadn't shaved. You didn't say if you use a cartridge razor or wet shaved, so I'll assume you use a cartridge. There's not much you can do about a permanent five o'clock shadow except to shave twice daily. Waxing will deal with the problem temporarily, but you will have to repeat it frequently. Nair or some other depilatory cream may also be an option. On the other hand, you could embrace your maleness and let the 'stace grow!

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi..and welcome. It's not clear whether you want to shave the stache area or grow one. One of our mods..Swarden is a stache expert and he'll probably come along to help there if you want to foster the stache. If you have a thick and nasty grow that needs mowing lol.then you've come to the right place. There are some problems that are very tough to deal with but there is also a lot of shaving tools and techniques at our disposal these days..so maybe it's worth a go. What is your current shaving set up and procedures?..

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046:

Enjoy your stay here :happy088:

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Glad you're here!

As Ryan said, it's genetics. Some guys just have the dark hair. Nothing to be ashamed of. It won't matter how close you get, if you have dark follicles you'll always have the shadow.
    Now if you decide to grow the 'stache... well, let's just say there's a reason I have the avitar I do ;) (credit where credit is due - Bill "dridecker" created that for me)

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well as your hair starts to turn from dark to white the problem changes.

If you want to go drastic there is laser removal, but I would work on growing shaping a good mustache with a beard trimmer designed for such jobs.

I have a Wahl and it works great on keeping my mustache and goatee clean and tidy.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

7. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!:bounce017:

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

9. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

What is the ideal look? I believe we all just do the best with what we have to work with and be grateful. A tad didactic/preachy, I know, but if we focus on the things we're missing, we often miss the things we've got. Do what you can, and then relax. Life's short.

Oh, oops, I'm Steve, by the way. [clumsily reaches his hand over and accidentally grabs just your fingers...doh, I hate these handshakes] Uh, nice to meet you, and welcome!

10. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

I just thinking the same thing!

Welcome to the Den!

11. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

I just use a 3 blade, disposable razor. My concern is the fact that I HAVE to shave upwards, against the grain, to have a smooth upper lip. I feel that it has caused a permanent problem, the fact that I can't get the smooth upper lip without doing so, and shaving downward still leaves hair, and it looks like I haven't shaved at all. It is thicker in that area than the rest of my face (I'm not working with much anyway). No matter what is on the rest of my face, if you are walking towards me at a distance, all you can see is a 'stache shadow. I hate it, with a passion.

12. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

Haha, the ideal look is one of normality, I feel as if I am the only one with this problem. If you check my reply to the post above, maybe it can give some more insight.

13. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

If I could grow other things on my face, to give a good goatee, I would. Outside of the 'stache, I have the most hair on my chin, but not a whole lot going on in terms of sideburns, and nothing connecting the mustache to the chin.

14. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

It's just the fact that the mustache seems to be growing differently than any other hair on my face, and I'm afraid shaving upward for all this time has caused this. I just want even growth, and to be able to shave downward on the mustache to get a clean shave...

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Your frustration is understandable. I really do recommend switching to a double-edge razor. You will get a more comfortable & closer shave, once you get used to it. It will not get rid of the dark 'stache, (as others have said, that's genetic) but it will, at least make your skin feel better.

16. JeffCSellsing

JeffCSellsing New Member

Could be weird, but I've never used one, and not real sure how lol

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nope. Just genetics.
    Shaving will not make whiskers grow faster or change how they grow.

18. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Please forgive me if this was mentioned already, but going from personal experience, going accross the upper lip in a left to right (and then the reverse) seems to have nearly the same effect as going against the grain. Have you tried this inthe past? Its what I do because I can't go atg on the upper lip, but everyone is different.

19. PadreTex

I go across my lip too after I've gone WTG first. Works great for me.

lradke likes this.
  20. PadreTex

Ditto!